Market section - scams with compromised accounts

every T D H sending people to TE on Reddit every time there's a post on where to buy and sell, and this crazy GPU shortage/market.
Read some posts from time to time on r/indiangaming and I definitely agree, TE is like the go to site for them whenever a post like that is made.
This admin method thingy requires dedicated resources. Bad idea for this forum, because that would mean the staff will be responsible and that's probably the last thing that they want. (to take responsibility for people behaving like fools)
Yeah, didn't consider the aspect if something goes wrong.
TE admins and mods have made it clear plenty of times already, but still people don't stop asking.
Didn't know that such ideas have been clarified before. Still pretty new here.

TE is primarily a forum to discuss tech, not some market place. The buy/sell section here is meant for us to get rid of any excess hardware or old stuff when someone upgrades their rig. It should remain the same.

If you want such extra addons, you should look elsewhere, not here.
Just an option bro would be much better than anything currently present

Just an option bro would be much better than anything currently present
Whatever we have in the present is perfectly fine IMO. What happened yesterday was an unfortunate anomaly, which probably could have avoided if the buyers who got duped exercised more caution. Oh well I hope rest of members are wiser now and will perform due diligence instead of jumping at whatever sale thread that looks too good to be true.

Whatever we have in the present is perfectly fine IMO. What happened yesterday was an unfortunate anomaly, which probably could have avoided if the buyers who got duped exercised more caution. Oh well I hope rest of members are wiser now and will perform due diligence instead of jumping at whatever sale thread that looks too good to be true.
+1 to this. I vote "No" to the whole "admin/mod running the marketplace" idea. Too high risks with too little reward. "Fees" won't mean shit when people get scammed. Knowing how many people can be a-holes, deals gone wrong will end up with the implications of the staff members too. That's not the result we want to see do we?
Let the members do their homework before rushing to a deal. The current one is good. The second scam attempt was successful because the victim was very gullible and careless just because it was a "good deal."

With the closure of shops limited timing and complete lockdown in few states the demand for buy and sell has suddenly increased whose effects can be seen easily here on TE hence there will be good traffic in market section but with many good things comes few bad things too which here are few people are taking advantage of this trust factor in wrong doings, please I would suggest to refrain buying from any new member for costly items and even if u decide to go ahead verify everything over whatsapp and call , if found anything suspicious don't proceed

please I would suggest to refrain buying from any new member for costly items and even if u decide to go ahead verify everything over whatsapp and call , if found anything suspicious don't proceed

Entire point of this thread was that it wasn't a new user, it was an old and trusted member(s) that got hacked.

Or someone must become a payment gateway to the market section payment and release the payment only after receiving product in functioning cond. And of course that member should get some percentage as commission of the total amount of the deal(exemption should be things below 2k which can proceed without payment gateway member). This method would ensure a win win situation for everyone one as the payment gateway member will also get some money in compensation for his time and effort and the buyer and the seller both can be safe.

This has already been discussed a few years ago IIRC. Are you willing to take this responsibility and deal with all the headaches and potential tax issues? Even if you are, why should I trust you, or anyone else on this forum for that matter for holding my money in escrow?

Can we have govt id verification for anyone who wants to participate in market section... Those who are uncomfortable can have an unverified tag on their profile , if we want to keep it liberal

At least this way older members accounts are hard to dupe. For example today you will take my government id and then at the time of the deal seller/buyer can compare that.

For increasing security ofcourse we will have to cope with some "uneasy" things

Can we have govt id verification for anyone who wants to participate in market section... Those who are uncomfortable can have an unverified tag on their profile , if we want to keep it liberal

At least this way older members accounts are hard to dupe. For example today you will take my government id and then at the time of the deal seller/buyer can compare that.

This doesn't make much sense in the current context of accounts getting compromised because it makes things easier for the hacker. They can just target the "verified" accounts and post sale threads from those.

This is a bad idea imo, regarding privacy even. Let the buyers do the due diligence on their own. As said before, TE is not a marketplace. It is a tech forum first, and a marketplace is just an add on.

Are you proposing KYC level verification? Wherein users hold up a copy of their Aaadhar card while looking at the camera and saying "My name is XYZ?"

This doesn't make much sense in the current context of accounts getting compromised because it makes things easier for the hacker. They can just target the "verified" accounts and post sale threads from those.

This is a bad idea imo, regarding privacy even. Let the buyers do the due diligence on their own. As said before, TE is not a marketplace. It is a tech forum first, and a marketplace is just an add on.
How would they get access to your account + your government id. Once they steal the account, how will they get the original government id to show to the buyer which matches your profile?

11pm yesterday, not today morning Sir.

The devil is in the detail
@Renegade was talking about ryanrulez4ever. Information about amandeep's hacked account was shared in TE staff whatsapp group at 10.45PM yesterday, and in 10 mins the email id was restored and a link to reset password was sent to amandeep.
The incident that happened in the morning refers to ryanrulez4ever. Details about the thread were shared early morning, and by 9.30 AM his account was restored.

How would they get access to your account + your government id.
This is a privacy nightmare then, and imo such sensitive levels of kyc won't be conducive to such a forum, especially considering one in which many people have anonymous usernames. Sure, one could create a different account for selling to not associate it with regular account but that's just inefficient. I would still vote for buyers doing their own dd before making payment for a deal instead of a tech forum spoonfeeding them.
If you are so inclined, you can ask the sellers you are purchasing from for their govt ID verification.
Once they steal the account, how will they get the original government id to show to the buyer which matches your profile?
Also if you haven't been keeping with the news, there have been several KYC leaks recently (mobiquik and upstox namely), so I imagine it's not very unlikely tbh

Last edited:
+1. Think of TE mktplace just as an additional benefit for simple folks to offload their unused stuff. Its neither Olx nor an Ebay. Unfortunately with most folks at home and the other forum dying, the whole crowd is coming to TE. This is bound to happen if ppl cannot identify the so many red flags mentioned earlier. All the KYC and Escrow ideas would be unnecessary, full of legal nightmares and not foolproof anyways.

Last edited:
@Renegade what about looking at oauth using Gmail etc?
OAUTH isn't working? I think either facebook or gmail isnt working. Will sort it out.
SSO with Facebook is there. Can't remember if Gmail was also an option.

1618594861326.png

Since this is related to marketplace, can someone clarify that in order to move to Disciple does one need to satisfy any one or both conditions as mentioned below.
1618595533463.png

eKYC is too much work for a tech forum and its technically impossible without the mods doing it full time and also needs tons of finance. Adding to that, scammers are always finding new ways. Aadhaar is not as secure as you people think of.

Disclaimer: I work in one of the IT part of banking domain.

Since this is related to marketplace, can someone clarify that in order to move to Disciple does one need to satisfy any one or both conditions as mentioned below.
View attachment 104234
Fullfiling these child like criteria are like walk in a park for fraudsters who nowadays are so much experts in technical and psychological stuff hypnotising buyers with their msg and talks oviously , and out of 10 people 3 people gets trapped in their talks , it's like those army fraud who edit everything and many many more these types of people don't have shame and go to any level even using indian army name for these heinous crimes

Back