Maths Lover/Hater?

Those who Dislike the very Word "MATHS" and are in STD VIII, a good news for them :D

If you’re a student and hate the very mention of the word ‘maths’, the state education department has some good news. It is proposing to make maths optional after Std VIII, offering subjects like computer science, agriculture and handicrafts instead.

Education Minster Prof Vasant Purke has already started meeting academicians and educationists to discuss the proposal. However, a final decision will be taken only after a huge public meeting to be held next month, where the common man’s opinion will also be sought.

Prof Purke’s proposal comes in the wake of numerous cases of students from the city as well as rural areas unable to complete their SSC because of maths. Presently, most students are forced to take expensive tuitions to pass the subject.

Read Entire

if only i got this option when i was a kid :(

If implemented, this will be the most moronic, idiotic decision by the state. Whether you like math or not, it is very essential in life. You just cannot ignore math atleast till STD X, why cant they remove the second language option. Ok so we live in Maharahtra, but in Mumbai atleast you can live without learning Marathi.

I think most kids find maths difficult cause its the only subject you can't mug :tongue:

Really, this decision is the height of stupidity :rofl: They're thinking of giving an option of computer science to maths! :rofl:

Hey cmon dude maths (CBSE board) was really tough for me and there was no option for it :( sadly (although i cleared at every stage :D)..
instead we were given computers as an option for biology o_0.. u r forgeting The most important point no matter wat, u have to self study all the subjects irrespective of which school u go to a teacher wont give personal attention to 50-60 students and thus resulting in self study and maths is one subject thts extremely difficult to self study unless u got a genius at home or ur one urselves, remember one thing one mans food can be other mans poison :p..
The gov has both the % (those who clear maths easily and those who flunk in it) basically flunkys were more hence this decision :p and they havent finalised the options i doubt computer science will be kept as an option as it aslo has maths in it as adv as integration (weirdely i used to like it lol)

Maths is extremely important..... I think this move is stupid.

And Biology was "interesting" in 9th std. In 10th it was PAthetic. All you CBSE guys will remember.... we were taught how to be farmers :p It was beyond stupid.

Math is necessary till Xii for some Masters degrees as well as for some Bachelors degrees.
Apart from that, each entrance test you give does have math in it.

So implementing this will mean that there is a problem in the system of entrance exams meaning/leading to a total change in the education system??

I doubt thats possible.

^^^As the ones above mentioned,maths is THE most important thing in any field Especially so in computers/electronics.

This is a very unfortunate decision to make.What the hell r they thinking?Convert Indian kids into brain dead ones like in the US?

Computer science without maths :S ? Computer science is maths.

They are looking at the problem from such a crazy angle that its funny. The solution for "students flunking maths" is not to remove maths, but to make it easier to pass. They should concentrate on fundamental mathematical concepts like sets, functions and geometry in middle school. Not only are they interesting and easier to understand, they do not require "mugging up" formulae and identities which discourage students.

hehe nice suggestion ujjwal but i think this suggestion was made way bak in 2002 when i cleared my 12th STD :( but neways it was ruled out lol.... and moreover its basically not the content but the method of teaching a particular content thts interesting ;) (as far as maths is concerned) there should be more teachers who can teach maths properly so tht average scrorers can also over come the fear of maths :D

Kumar said:
This is a very unfortunate decision to make.What the hell r they thinking?Convert Indian kids into brain dead ones like in the US?
:rofl:

btw i cant see y the hell people are getting angry Maths wont be eradicated duh!!! ""It is proposing to make maths optional after Std VIII,"" meaning maths will be offered but if u dont want it u can choose other subjects :p somewat like a multiple choice question

Q: what will u choose against maths after STD-8

a) <option>

b) <option>

c) <option>

d) no choice but maths :D

hehe

Its stupid. They wanna make the next Indian kids the American kids.

Its sickening, when India is famous for its engineer and mathematicians abroad..

dude if u see it differently this will be more like a competition do u even know how many maths professors are there? now if the state imposes this decision maths professors will take more pain and will teach more efficiently and properly so tht they can lure more students to take maths after 8,

NOTE there are thousands of coaching centres, private tutors etc etc who teach science + maths to 8,9,10..they will have to just work more harder in orider to maintain their students :D

and read my earlier post anish i edited some stuffs :p

Another minority appeasement policy and after the reservation policy, another step backward for Indian students

Read this.

http://www.ibnlive.com/article.php?id=7620&section_id=3

The UPA government appeased Muslims but this is the height of things. How can one remove maths?? It will lead to brain drains again!!! And how can Manmohan allow this!! he should show some authority and common sense.

What next!! F*ck u UPA.

Well this is really sad as many have already put forward. Without knowing high school level math, a person would be just about nowhere... unless all he wants to become is a fitter/mechanic or something like that. Totally senseless decision IMHO. Whats even more laughable is that the wanna introduce "Computer Science" instead of math. Is the education department run by a bunch of jokers or what :p.

Hey math is not something which can be seen as optional. we use it almost in our daily lives. And in case you want to do higher studies or plan to continue studying after 10th then maths is necessary

umm still enig u r missing the obvious point those who LUV maths will still take it

Not to forget so many engineers we have in india do u think their sons/daughters will NOT take maths? lets forget them how many of u will take other options and not maths? and chaos wat contents are taught in MATHs as of today is the whole thing tht important? umm, perhaps u might agree with me on the point tht MATHs course should be revised in order to make it easier to go with.. or better tutors be appointed in schools to overcome this fear..

those who LUV maths will still take it

obvious dude but thats not what i was saying. I'm saying that math is important if you plan to study anything, almost every higher education, be it engg, commerce, management, PG you name it and its got math in it. So why even have the option of making math optional. As it is many ppl are scared of math. The government should try to help students learn math easily, by bringing in vedic math in syllabus. not giving options to them.

What really needs to be done is a total overhaul of the way math is taught in the state boards... The state SSC maths examinations are a total cramming fest. Not as much as history or geography, but whats the point of asking students to just prove "Basic Proportionality Theorem" or something like that just for the sake of testing memory. A better test would be to give an application problem which the student hasn't faced before that requires one to use the theorem. The ICSE and CBSE boards are way better than SSC in that regard. Atleast there's less cramming involved than the SSC board.

^^ All the state exams are stupid and moronic, involving plain mugging and cramming.
@systemic, M8 it doesnt matter whther you like math or not, everything involves math. Atleast in ICSE algebra et all were taught from VIII onwards, imagine a person not knowing basic algebra. Its just plain moronic, he will get nowhere in life in this age period. You do not have any idea of the daily math applications you use invariably everyday...

Chaos said:
Is the education department run by a bunch of jokers or what .
Of course!!! Thought that would have been obvious by now :p not just the education dept but the whole f ing govt.

And yeah... most State exams suck. In Karnataka it is called SSLC. No offence to people who studied SSLC but the running joke(an oooold one) is that SSLC = Stop Studying Learn Cooking :rofl: :rofl:

maths becomes tough due to incompetent teachers. i used to love maths till my 7th cause i had good teachers who could explain the concepts clearly. they have to be logicall very strong to explain the concepts to students.

bu nowaday, barring a few teachers, the rest have no logical abilities, zero teaching methodology. thats what makes maths a hated subject..

Back