MBA after B.tech..Any scope?

darksmart

Disciple
Hi

after the completion of B.tech in electronics and communications,I am planning to do MBA..But confused is it a good option?Also which stream of MBA will be good?

Is telecom management good?

If you know why you want to do an MBA, you should be able to answer this rather trite question yourself. Anything's "good" as long as you're good at it and have genuine interest in studying it. Please don't make the mistake of studying just for the sake of it.

If you're targeting good schools. the admission panels will see right through you if you're one of those people who believe that simply getting an MBA will get you some place.

MBA after B.Tech is good provided you have atleast 3~5 years of experience else its pretty useless.

There are a lot of TE members including me have done MBA after B.Tech but after working for a couple of years.

#Vince

#greenhorn

What Metalhead says is right. I seriously do not know why B-schools take in people without work exp., but based on exam scores alone. What the hell does CAT test one about management?

OT: Funny i didn't get a notification for being tagged :confused:

Exactly like what the guys above said. MBA makes sense only if you have some experience under your belt, a couple of years at the very least.

I'm graduating in a few months myself, and I don't really understand why a lot of people are going for MBA. Most of them don't have a complete idea why they're spending so much for MBA. I guess it's the word being passed around that getting an MBA degree is cool and you'll get bucket loads of cash once you get done with it.

In fact, the best schools don't accept students if they don't have a minimum work experience. Management is not something you can just learn by reading books, it's something you can understand only by working in the industry.

Management is not something you can just learn by reading books, it's something you can understand only by working in the industry.

Well put buggy. If I might add my 2 cents, after you work begin working in an industry, and you are pro-active enough, you could use GOOGLE to learn what an MBA would teach you.

There are loads of material online, and just filtering them to what is needed is time-consuming (of course, if you have the syllabus of a good b-school, that is enough to begin searching)

The only issue, is like buggy himself mentioned, MBA degree gets you cash from big companies.

For smaller companies, a normal employee minus MBA but with a good pro-active mentality and is given the freedom to execute his ideas, that would be more than enough for the employee to be recognized, and the company would reap equivalent benefits.

because there is an annual flood of engineers which comes every year with increased density and which ultimately leaves a thousand of b.tech/b.e holders jobless as there are a LOT of them..

Exactly, as Metal,Vince and viralbug said. No use of an MBA without the experience.

Infact reputed B-schools across the world donot entertain guys without experience.

Sorry for raining on the fanaticism being promoted here, but you don't need to have work experience. Saying that MBA is useless if you do not have workex is not true. It is however recommended that you do have some work ex so that you are able to relate to concepts with your own real life examples.

Instead, the most important thing that you should consider is what tifosi has posted in second post. That matters more than work ex.

The reality, in fact, is that a lot of people go for work ex first so that they get preference during the joining process, placement process and are able to command better packages.

What the hell does CAT test one about management?
Probably you are talking about management concepts but CAT is not supposed to test anything about that. Similar tests are used in organisations to gauge the development needs of the employees and judge whether they have the potential to move up in the organisation and take up more demanding roles. So apparently it does test something about management.

In fact, the best schools don't accept students if they don't have a minimum work experience.
If you are talking about B-schools which are focussed on senior management positions then yes. I believe IIMs count among the best bschools but they don't need any work ex. Not everyone is trying get into Harvards of the world and doesn't need to either.

So if your question is whether there is scope, there is ample scope. Is it a good option, it is but it is also recommended that you work for at least 24 months first. Which stream should you go for, well this is the question that you need to introspect about.

The hard truth is, people think of an MBA when they do not have a job in their hands. This perception of going for MBA just because he/she is not assured of a job is not correct.

AFAIK,this is what most people do. Although there are guys who kick their jobs in hand and go for an MBA w/o work ex (provided they get into a good B-school like IMT/NITIE/IIFT etc)

Hmmm.I am interested in management and want to pursue in it not only because of job but i am very much interested in corporate sector(obviously pay-scale is also a reason but that comes in secondary).I have experience of hardly a year...Based on your replies,i think i should gain more experience..

Sorry for raining on the fanaticism being promoted here, but you don't need to have work experience. Saying that MBA is useless if you do not have workex is not true. It is however recommended that you do have some work ex so that you are able to relate to concepts with your own real life examples.

Instead, the most important thing that you should consider is what tifosi has posted in second post. That matters more than work ex.

The reality, in fact, is that a lot of people go for work ex first so that they get preference during the joining process, placement process and are able to command better packages.

Probably you are talking about management concepts but CAT is not supposed to test anything about that. Similar tests are used in organisations to gauge the development needs of the employees and judge whether they have the potential to move up in the organisation and take up more demanding roles. So apparently it does test something about management.

If you are talking about B-schools which are focussed on senior management positions then yes. I believe IIMs count among the best bschools but they don't need any work ex. Not everyone is trying get into Harvards of the world and doesn't need to either.

So if your question is whether there is scope, there is ample scope. Is it a good option, it is but it is also recommended that you work for at least 24 months first. Which stream should you go for, well this is the question that you need to introspect about.

I'd like to put some points in the open here -

Firstly, A is not a better manager than B simply because he has experience. But A will be better suited to tackle sticky situations, both personal and professional, as compared to B who will probably learn the hard way (which might include getting fired too). A first day recruit in the Army is not made a General to lead his troops into battle. A sailor passed out of the Naval Academy is not made a Captain on the first day for the same reason.

That said, everyone's potential is different and it might be that a fresher might do a better job than an experienced manager. But that is an exception to the rule.

Secondly, I can also say confidently, after doing months of research , that the top 100-150 MBA schools in the world do NOT accept you without experience unless you have done something extraordinary in college. In 99.99% of the cases, you need 3 years of work experience. Coming to the few Indian colleges which are at par with the best in the world, only IIMs accept freshers. Even ISB requires you to have work experience.

Again, I am no one to question the capability of an IIT+IIM graduate who is probably a very ambitious, dedicated, focused and intelligent person. But experience is still a quality that one is not born with. And it cannot be replaced.

Thirdly, I would like to add something about the 2nd-3rd Tier MBA colleges in India (for e.g. Goa Institute of Management). From what I have discovered, companies there prefer freshers. And there is a very simple reason behind that. Most of the students do an MBA to switch their domain. For e.g to get out of IT into Marketing, Finance etc. With 3-4 years of experience, a person is already earning close to 5-8 lakh per annum salary, if not more. Most of the companies coming to 2nd-3rd Tier MBA colleges offer packages of 5-10 lakhs per annum. So, for a person who was earning 5-8 lakh per annum, it does not make sense to opt for a job which is paying just slightly more. And neither does it make sense for the company. Most of the resumes of people who have 3+ years of experience are not shortlisted. That's the harsh reality which everyone should keep in mind.

I also do not agree that CAT, GMAT, GRE do not test your management skills. Rather they test how you might perform once you are out of a business school and in a real corporate environment. Think about it. The key things tested are - how you balance your time, how to be decisive and quickly make a calculated guess for a difficult and tricky situation and move on so as to not waste time and how to eliminate wrong choices before even starting to work on a problem. Finally you do all this in a sterile environment under time constraints.

You can immediately do MBA if you want, but I would definitely prefer that a person should get some experience. I feel that even 2 years are more significant than 0.

Why do IITians go to IIM immediately?

Not exactly. A more correct response is that more of them manage to crack the cat because they are generally on the higher side in terms of aptitude.

There are significant number of IITians at places like ISB, and I would imagine the IIM-PGPEX programs as well.

Not exactly. A more correct response is that more of them manage to crack the cat because they are generally on the higher side in terms of aptitude.

There are significant number of IITians at places like ISB, and I would imagine the IIM-PGPEX programs as well.

My statement stands, in response to the original comment to which I quoted

Back