MBA Specialization?

sumchamp

Skilled
One of my friend is unable to decide upon the MBA specialization to be taken. She is currently in 2nd Semester.

I request you kindly share your views as to which specialization has a wider scope on the days to come.

Scope aside, a person's interest should be the deciding factor
<

Ask that person to sit, think, and decide what she likes the most. Post-MBA, it is complicated to switch streams, so it is better if one decides to focus on what he/she is interested in.

(During my one-year mba, there were a few switchers from IT to finance, and vice-versa too. The former due to interest, the latter due to career-plans.)

@akash: Erm yeah. Job profile, lots of different stuff! Pre-sales, sales, operations, project management, analytics, end-to-end solutions, process improvement, e-business, e-governance (actually, anything to which an 'e' can be prefixed to)..

@dinjo: LoL.. Most of the HRs i know are women too! I can't figure out if its because they actually make better HRs? or is it because mostly women take it up? ('chicken or egg' type question really)

Major streams as per Mumbai are - HR, Marketing and Finance. HR is a good stream and has a good scope i various categories (training and development, screening, etc).

Marketing has a nice scope all over. May be everything comes here.

Finance is a stream to corporate structure. But mind you, it will require a parallel finance degree to get you value in the industry. Also openings have a lot of competition to face.

what are the available options? The college must have a finite list of options, ask her to eliminate the ones which she will most definitely not even think of doing. Post the list of remaining options here and then people can contribute their pros and cons.

Speaking about wider scope, everybody thinks about wider scope etc... and then the field/specialization has soo many candidates that seeking a good job in the chosen option can become difficult. Instead of selecting based on 'wider scope', choose the field based on interests. No matter what she chooses it will always be a competition with others about who performs the best whether during studies or job offers or even promotions. It is better to do what one likes than doing what popular opinion says.

Need some guidance here too, I am a BE Electronics, which MBA specialization is suitable for me if I am looking for Specialization related to my field?

Finance & Marketing are not the fields I am intrested, so what is the scope for Operations, IT or Systems? Are there sufficient openings as compared to 3 main streams (HR, Fin, Mktg) also what about Placements for above mentioned specializations do companies recruit for these?

Ofcourse. If you are doing fulltime then you get campus recruited else for partime first gain some yrs of exp. and then theres no problem further. Thats what i did/doing.

Which specialization is better if one wants to go into Management consulting? Finance? or Operations?

I think Operations (someone correct me if i'm wrong!)

Is an MBA useful after having a work-ex of more than 5 years? If yes, which one part-time or full-time?

Yep, most definitely. If the 5 years hasn't helped you move as much up the ladder, or given you as many responsibilities.

With 5+ years of experience, try to check out the E-MBAs (Executive MBAs), the course is usually smaller or part-time, and network you gain WILL be much better!

Which specialization is better if one wants to go into Management consulting? Finance? or Operations?
What is management consulting? Depends on which domain you want to enter into. Finance and operations is not going to help you if you want to get into Marketing Consultancy. And vice versa.

Maybe your question is which consulting is easiest to get into or which one pays the most. Don't know anything about that.

which college?

what is the placement scene specialization wise?

is your sister lazy or a workaholic

is she down to earth, or is she comfortable spewing out management bs?

is she better off in an office or travelling?

is she better off by herself or meeting lots of people

does she have an IT background/workex?

the answers to these should point the general direction
<

Vinchu, for management consulting i think the best way to go is finance and ishtrategy
<

@OP: Please post the options that your sister has.

To the ones asking which MBA they should do: please identify your target colleges first, until the I think there is no point in telling you which MBA to do as the number of specializations in MBA is as big as the ones for BA/MA, for eg., I have seen MBAs in Networking, System Administration, IT, etc just for technology related MBAs.

To all: You cannot choose anything if you have no idea what your career/life goals are. You can't just say "Should I do MBA in HR/Marketing/Finance or operations?" as the fields are very different, the jobs are different, growth is different, salaries are different, job security is different, etc. so knowing your career goals is vital. You just can't enter this thing blind.

Vinchu, for management consulting i think the best way to go is finance and ishtrategy
<

Strategy, agreed.

But Finance as a 'major' specialization, is not needed unless you are looking into a core fin job. (And even then it will be difficult to get a core-fin job if you don't have relevant experience)

If you mean the basics of finance, then yes, EVERYone (IMHO) needs to have a few courses in finance.

Not going into any specific streams, I'd like to add that doing an MBA straight out of college is pretty much useless IMO. Agreed, some people get significantly good salaries as opposed to freshers but the majority of fresh MBA graduates are as good as fresh undergrads. While pursuing biz management, it is important to get a first-hand experience about business processes and practices. In absence of this, you'll basically be learning how to optimize something that you have no experience whatsoever. This is the reason most international colleges require you to have at least a couple of years experience while applying for an MBA programme.

OP, suggest your friend to a good career councilor which will be able to address her queries/doubts and also make some valuable suggestions. Believe me, you should never blindly do what others are doing or telling you to do.

I seem to have better analytical skills. So would Finance be a better option rather than Marketing or IT for MBA?

I have 3 years of experience as an SQLDBA now. Looking to move out of IT.

Back