Media Player/Streamer : Buying Decision 2012

thats one amazing device.

Have you guys hacked it yet ? If not, head over to http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv-live/ for custom firmwares and optware, it can do a lot more than just streaming
tongu23e.gif

I had my wdlive as my download rig.
happy19.gif

unfortunately it doesn't support the latest model that i have got.

Earlier I was also intending to buy one of the above, but then I thought that all new LEDs have inbuilt options to play most of the video formats so I am currently planning to buy a new LED as I also want to replace my old CRT TV.

yes LED do play most but not all.

So many times it was like a movie night we all sat and damn no video or no audio codec supported issue. was sad situation thus one media player with wifi now removes issues of transferin too.
<

Earlier I was also intending to buy one of the above, but then I thought that all new LEDs have inbuilt options to play most of the video formats so I am currently planning to buy a new LED as I also want to replace my old CRT TV.

Good luck playing 1080p using a LED's built in player! Most of them can't even be updated, so you will always find yourself wanting on the format support side. Besides you can also use WDTV Live with a Projector (as I do with Epson 8350).

Good luck playing 1080p using a LED's built in player! Most of them can't even be updated, so you will always find yourself wanting on the format support side. Besides you can also use WDTV Live with a Projector (as I do with Epson 8350).

You can certainly attach your PC with your LED anytime so why to waste money on media players and may be soon they will become obsolete.

You can certainly attach your PC with your LED anytime so why to waste money on media players and may be soon they will become obsolete.

don't bother with those idiots who buy these media players. we cant blame them also. it's easy to get sucked in the marketing by the companies. once I was also fooled to buy the asus oplay mini. bah it just became obsolete the very next day when sony introduced a player that upscaled upto 4k resolutions. I felt very sad inside. so to get back my machoness I did what real men do: lugged the 12kgs of metal across two rooms to near our beautiful HDTV, messed with cables, plug it in, boot up, while it cleans the room with its massive fans and sucks just a few gigawatts for doing the exact thing that tiny weeny thing did. the satisfaction is priceless. but next day when the guests came in I did the same thing but power went off, inverter couldnt supply the same gigawatts to the pc so it tripped. and we sat around playing antakshari.

_

Got upset by first sentence but then realized it's a sarcastic post
<
. Nice reply.

don't bother with those idiots who buy these media players. we cant blame them also. it's easy to get sucked in the marketing by the companies. once I was also fooled to buy the asus oplay mini. bah it just became obsolete the very next day when sony introduced a player that upscaled upto 4k resolutions. I felt very sad inside. so to get back my machoness I did what real men do: lugged the 12kgs of metal across two rooms to near our beautiful HDTV, messed with cables, plug it in, boot up, while it cleans the room with its massive fans and sucks just a few gigawatts for doing the exact thing that tiny weeny thing did. the satisfaction is priceless. but next day when the guests came in I did the same thing but power went off, inverter couldnt supply the same gigawatts to the pc so it tripped. and we sat around playing antakshari.

_

Rohit "Shakti", can you tell me what will you have that will display those "4k" upscale(aka CRAP) videos? Yes you can buy a new LED when it comes, that will be lot cheaper than media player! I am assuming your PC will also be powerful enough to decode those 4k videos without any upgrades? Welcome to Tech world my friend, if you keep on waiting for next innovation to happen, you will never be able to buy anything because innovation is a continuous process...

well said @cbrcoder more over, why even buy LED, next LED would would get movies beaming directly
<
so wait for that too.

Anything which is today best 6 months would be better.

As for upscaling its digitally enhancing which if you seeing on bigger screen is not same as original 720 or 1080p

ofcourse you are right, but in that battle then you might end up buying nothing ever.

See it was simple for me i want something which can play 99% of formats that are out there, mkv, ogg, avi, div etc etc. with any codec sound (most tv led etc dont take all audio codec or mkv etc) . it should be able to play 1080p. and has wifi-n.

Thus no point of waiting for something around corner n took this.

Does any player get tht "Cinavia Error" on HD mkv's? Like the one tht comes on PS3??

Tht is some DRM protection which displys the error and cuts off audio for the file ur watching.....

If ur not aware wht I am talking abt just google "PS3 cinavia"

Hi,

I did find some old discussions on the forum about this, but nothing that is recent. Hence I am starting a new thread... Admin if you feel it's repost - please feel free to merge it.

So I am looking a decent media player/streamer to go with my NAS (Synology DS212j). It must support full HD and must have built in Wifi as I don't have Ethernet cables concealed near my TV. I do have 300 Mbps Wireless, so speed should not be an issue in streaming full HD files ?

Question is which one, I would like support of common formats. Specially Matroska format. Also I need subtitle support.

Please suggest a good alternative... Budget 5-6k. I have shortlisted WD Streaming Media Player from US but it's going to be like $150 including shipping and duty. Thought I will love to have a cheaper option!

Great thread, bt i just want to know how and which Internet connection do u have so that we can have

"300 mbps" ??

Also, could anyone be kind enough and tell me how is it any different from playing HD videos from ur laptop (I believe its upscaling somethin ?)

thanks

v

Great thread, bt i just want to know how and which Internet connection do u have so that we can have

"300 mbps" ??

His WLAN speeds are 300mbps (wifi 802.11n) - Not his internet speeds.

Also, could anyone be kind enough and tell me how is it any different from playing HD videos from ur laptop (I believe its upscaling somethin ?)

Nothing different. Just that its smaller and more portable. File Format compatibility is not a problem(they have dedicated media SoCs so easily do 1080p, older laptops might struggle to play full size bluray ISO's) and power consumption is much lower than a laptop.

"300 mbps" ??

thanks

v

Actually you should try a 1080p file and you will get your answer. Specially a scene where there is lot of rendering. like an action scene or some major storm anything which will have massive amounts of objects moving and you will see the difference.

His WLAN speeds are 300mbps (wifi 802.11n) - Not his internet speeds.

Nothing different. Just that its smaller and more portable. File Format compatibility is not a problem(they have dedicated media SoCs so easily do 1080p, older laptops might struggle to play full size bluray ISO's) and power consumption is much lower than a laptop.

Thats wat i thought at first
<

So how does it work, still dnt get it. Normal 700mb movie is like 4 gb in HD

the best internet plan available in gurgaon (according to me) is what i have 4mbps with 20gb cap, do u guys use like a more awesome plan?

Actually you should try a 1080p file and you will get your answer. Specially a scene where there is lot of rendering. like an action scene or some major storm anything which will have massive amounts of objects moving and you will see the difference.

I think u are right man, 1080p file in laptop wud not be as awesome as media player. bt again if i use a media player to stream 4gb file of a movie, bt internet plan wud not be sufficient at all as i gotta use 20 gb in a month

@varoon

I agree heavy file over wifi is issue also, but my storage is basically on external discs. Thus i said in my condition n requirements, a media player suits better
<

i got a 5mbps plan
<
UNLIMITED
<
around 12.4K a year. so its pretty nice.

i think 300, transformers, Avataar, Watchmen

basically i am thinking of movies in recent times which had good CGI if you planned to check those. Avtaar for sure on LED looks BRILLIANT, visually that night scene in the jungle where trees/plants light up is superb.

Back