MEElectronics CW-31 - A Beginner's review

Before writing this review, I would like to thank Mr. Joe Daileda, VP, Sales & Marketing of MEElectronics for choosing me as one of the reviewers to review their new IEM line-up thus making me as a serious audiophile! :)

cw31mainbanner.jpg

Introduction:
MEElectronics already established their name among audiophiles with their flagship product M9. To suit the taste of various audiophiles scattered all over the world, MEE introduced a lot of products like M16, M21, CX-21, CW-31, etc this year. And I’ve been lucky enough to get a chance for reviewing the IEM CW-31. Serious audiophiles forgive me if you find any mistakes in the review. (Only brickbats allowed here. for bouquets use PM/email!:))

Specifications of CW-31: (Copied from the official website)
Cable length: 135cm (53 in, with attached shirt clip)
Driver size: 9.0 mm dynamic drivers
Frequency response: 20Hz-20 KHz
Impedance: 16 ohms

Packaging:
CW-31 ships in a rectangular plastic box. As usual most of the MEE products, the earphones and the case are resting inside a tray.

5706350863_0c979e554c_z.jpg

The design of package is similar to all other models of MEE. The front of the package contains the close up view of CW-31 with various taglines and on the back, the feature set & specifications were printed in short. The printing of warning messages in the bottom is a much needed information, which I feel most of the users will always ignore it, because it has become a fashion for everyone to wear an earphone and roam around. (And I’m also not an exception!) Anyways, for the sake of public, it’s a welcome addition.

Accessories:
5706350857_24f2b715c2_z.jpg

CW-31 ships with 5 sets of eartips and a clamshell carrying case. Glad to see that this has been made mandatory by MEE to include in most of their models. Other accessories like cable winder, airplane adapter are not necessary and just for namesake, which I feel that most of the users are not using the same. (Except a very few people) For a casual listener, the range of eartips, and the protective pouch/case are important, which is adequately fulfilled by MEE.

5706350921_d0945d3768_z.jpg

After opening the box, you are greeted with the earphones and its case. Inside the case, a quick start guide is included for starters on how to wear the earphones to get much comfort, eliminate isolation, etc. There is one glitch though. The clamshell case was very small in size. In fact, I have to struggle a lot to put the earphones inside. The cases provided with M9, M6, M11 were big enough to store the earphones and the entire eartips. But this case is good enough to store the earphones only. :(

Build quality:
Being touted as the successor of MEElectronics R1, CW-31 was built with wooden housing in order to give a “natural sound†to the users. This is a simple model, one has to wear it straight, as simple as 1-2-3! Both the nozzles are oval shaped, which was built in a way to insert into the ear easily without any hiccups. The left side nozzle was built on the extreme left, ditto with right to provide maximum comfort to the users in order to wear it for a long time. You can view the same in the picture.

5706350923_34f68e4337_z.jpg

5706959080_6a47ee7d57_z.jpg

The plug is a right-angled gold plated one, which will fit into a standard 3.5mm jack.

Sound quality:
A burn-in process with the help of pink noise for a period of 60 hours was done. I’ve ripped some regional language tracks (Hindi, Tamil & Telugu) and some English tracks. All the songs were ripped into 320KBPS MP3 format. The EQ was set to “Flat†while listening.

Being made of “Samak†wood, the CW-31 belongs to the MEE range of Clarity series, which obviously meant that it will give a detailed sound. So I thought that the bass will not be sufficient. But surprisingly, the bass was quite good. My all time favourite track “Monalisa†sounded flawlessly while hearing with CW-31. The soundstage is decent enough for an IEM. While amping with Fiio E1, there’s a “little-bit†improvement on the overall sound quality. So, like all MEE models, no amping is necessary. :)

No issues on microphonics, as usual with all MEE IEM’s. As far as isolation is concerned, I always prefer wearing bi-flange tips in order to get a proper seal. The normal tips won’t provide such a comfortable feel for me. But surprisingly for CW-31, the single flange tips are enough to give such a seal and the isolation was quite good. However, it depends upon the user’s taste (like me, accustomed to use only bi-flange tips!)

Conclusion:
Like all MEE products, CW-31 is priced nominally, which gives bang for the buck! CW-31 retails at $49.99 and the mic variant CW-31P retails at $54.99, with $7 shipping all over the world via USPS. So, grab these and join the MEE bandwagon! Have fun, enjoy music with MEE :) You won’t regret for SURE.

Contenders:
At this price point, the contenders to CW-31 are
  1. NuForce NE-7M
  2. MP4Nation Brainwavz M2
  3. SoundMAGIC PL-50

As usual, I leave this to you, what to choose as each and everyone are having a different taste.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Always hear at 50%-60% volume while using earphones as continuous use at a high volume may cause severe damage to your ears. For more etiquette's of how to use IEM's,
please refer: Basic Guide to IEM's

Finally we arrive at the climax! I'm thankful to all people who helped to do this review. Thanks a lot from the bottom of my heart.

Prasanna, great to know that you have been chosen by MEE as a reviewer. I would like more details regarding the sound signature though!

I won't vote in the poll, because none of the options reflect my thoughts. But, if you want some opinions, here's some:

• The information leading up-to sound section are good enough for me.
  • Microphonics, Isolation, Comfort belong above the sound section as these are not related to how the IEM sounds.
  • A bit more information in the sound section would have been nicer. You don't need to be well versed in terms to do that. Just describe how it felt rather than it sounded 'good'. That's one thing you can do a bit better with the next review. My first impression was even more pathetic, so you can always easily improve on that front. BTW, this is my final review of them much later on. You have certainly made a better start and can easily improve.

The build up to the sound section was very well done. But like others I feel you need to talk a bit more on the sound. Any comparison with other IEMs is also encouraged.

All in all this was a very good effort for your first review. Hope to see more reviews from you. :)

iaudio said:
Prasanna, great to know that you have been chosen by MEE as a reviewer. I would like more details regarding the sound signature though!
Thank you Titius:) Regarding sound signature, I cannot say more as I'm just like a new born baby to the world of IEM's, so will study soon and I hope that I'll explain better in my future reviews. (If at all I'm getting a chance to review!)
esanthosh said:
I won't vote in the poll, because none of the options reflect my thoughts. But, if you want some opinions, here's some:

• The information leading up-to sound section are good enough for me.
  • Microphonics, Isolation, Comfort belong above the sound section as these are not related to how the IEM sounds.
  • A bit more information in the sound section would have been nicer. You don't need to be well versed in terms to do that. Just describe how it felt rather than it sounded 'good'. That's one thing you can do a bit better with the next review. My first impression was even more pathetic, so you can always easily improve on that front. BTW, this is my final review of them much later on. You have certainly made a better start and can easily improve.

Much needed information. Thank you very much Santhosh Sir:) Hope I'll become a hardcore IEM'ist like you one day.:)
destiny said:
Nice review bro
All the best
Thank you:)

BF1983 said:
The build up to the sound section was very well done. But like others I feel you need to talk a bit more on the sound. Any comparison with other IEMs is also encouraged.

All in all this was a very good effort for your first review. Hope to see more reviews from you. :)
Thank you Brendon Sir:) Regarding sound, as I said I'm like a new born baby! I'll definitely do that after gaining some knowledge. Regarding comparison, I have a very few IEM's in my collection (5, to be precise). So, I feel that comparing those with CW-31 won't do justice. I'll do such comparisons in future after filling my shelf with IEM's:)

Prasanna, afaik, you have had SM pl30, Me electronics m6/m9(?) etc, so you can use that as a reference to give comparisons. Just a suggestion.

Btw, esanthosh sir and brendon sir, why no sir for me :p ?

Like everyone said, talk about the sound signature. Warm, dark, bassy, enhanced mid range, neutral, bright ?

And how about disclosure: Were these given to you for keeps by MEE once the review was done? If so, it affects judgement a little innit?

;-)

Well,

Lets Do This One By One .

Q : Mr Joe

A : " Well Man Its She Not He " .So You Got The Sex Totally Wrong :eek:hyeah:

Observations :

• Did You Understand What The Guys Were Saying .They Were Saying That even If You Cannot Write Much About Sound Do a Comparitive Between This And The IEMS You Have

Congrats Once again :)

You need to talk more about the piece rather than the brand. While its nice to thank manufacturers to "choose" you, do note that they "choose" you for their set reasons and hence you should use that opportunity to fulfill your reasons as a reviewer- to guide your readers. I've consulted few journalists and reviewers so the most common advice I got was don't read other people's reviews of the same/similar product you're reviewing and don't let the manufacturers excite you with the hype. $54 might be a small amount for some people but many will be very cautious of spending that much money. When you're thinking this way, you'll try to nitpick on the product and see other things that many don't. I am not an audio guy and I am sure I am crap at it, but these basic pointers should be handy if you want to review regularly. Also, mention the warranty period.

Use them with different formats. Use them indoors, outdoors (malls, trains, whatever) and use them for a longer period of time.

^ Good points.

One thing which is most useful in an IEM review is comparison to other IEMs as Brendon already mentioned. It helps in two ways. First, for any one who owns the compared IEM can always extrapolate and judge how the main IEM sounds. Secondly, a review is a personal subjective opinion, especially when it comes to describing sound. If the description and comparisons do not align with the reader, he can at least know that the reviewer has different preferences and will take that into consideration from next time.

But, it is a bit difficult in India to get hold of IEMs. I had to spend way out of my pocket just to get an idea of how many different signatures exist. The advantage is once you get some reviews out of the way, you have access to loaners from other people :). Describing sound is not rocket science. It requires some work at the beginning, but will become easier as one listens and analyzes more and more....

Back