Megaupload Shutdown...Is this the start of the END ?

FileSonic was pathetic i never could download anything from there site, not sure how are they going to stop private trackers

Guys even!! Filesonic and Fileserve closed off its services, only allowing users to download files from their personal accounts., only allowing users to download files from their personal accounts
<

Got this list of filesharing sites down

Megaupload – Closed

Fileserve – Stopped filesharing. You can only download your own files. Deleting multiple files. Banning Premium accounts. Closed Affiliate Program.

Filesonic – Stopped filesharing. You can only download your own files.

Changed server location today.

Taken down it's Facebook page

Now using Digital fingerprinting. Files are being deleted as soon as uploaded (as Hotfile did).

VideoBB – Closed Affiliate Program.

Filepost – Started suspending accounts with infringing material (as Hotfile did)

Uploaded.to – Blocked U.S. access.

Videozer – Closed Affiliate Program.

Filejungle – Owned by Fileserve (same as above). Testing USA IP addresses blocking.

Uploadstation – Owned by Fileserve (same as above). Testing USA IP addresses blocking.

EnterUpload - Down (Redirect)

Wupload - Many accounts disabled.

Looks like its back to torrents for downloads

[font=arial, sans-serif]Care to elaborate? According to http://www.alexa.com...es/countries/IN, almost all of the top 15 most visited sites in India are hosted in the US.[/font]

I think you should know the facts. The 80-85% Websites of India are hosted on USA Servers Coz the Hosting cost is Relatively 50% lesser. You can move your websites to UK or netherlands. If your Audience is from USA and you'd have to Suffer coz of SOPA!

When push comes to shove servers can be shifted elsewhere like hong kong. If server is not in usa then only person from usa suffers.

Why isn't mediafire taken down ?

because it takes down files very quickly
<

all say that mediafire is *hit because we never get any files we want.

also filesonic,fileserve, hotfile had a reward system in place where there was a cash reward of about 35 $ per 1000 downloads. so it was like promoting piracy.

nothing like this for mediafire

#dinjo, excerpts from mediafire blog

Recently there has been extensive media coverage of the United States Government’s shut down of MegaUpload.com which has drawn attention to the entire cloud storage market as a whole. While I can’t speak to the allegations against MegaUpload, I’d like to just take this opportunity to clarify some misconceptions about MediaFire that I’ve seen recently.

We welcome any former MegaUpload users who want to legitimately store, access, and share their data on our cloud storage service. We caution new users to read our Terms of Service carefully and understand that MediaFire takes violations of our Terms of Service very seriously.

MediaFire offers a free, secure, and unlimited cloud storage service for users to upload and share data with their customers, colleagues, friends, and family. MediaFire’s Professional and Business plans offer uploaders additional functionality like company branding tools, analytics tools, and multi-seat employee accounts.

MediaFire’s premium services are based on a user’s ability to upload data and pay to distribute it. This storage and sharing model is similar to Akamai, Amazon S3, YouSendIt, etc. MediaFire has no caps or restrictions for downloading data and each upload is limited to a maximum size of 200MB for non-premium users.

Most importantly, people choose MediaFire because it offers high quality services that are simple to use and extremely powerful. We incorporate the latest HTML5 technologies, the most advanced user interfaces, and are constantly expanding our services with features requested by businesses and professionals. In Q2 2012, MediaFire will redefine how people access and manage their data and how they interact with the cloud by releasing long-in-development desktop and mobile applications that solve problems Microsoft, Dropbox, and Box fail to address.

A little more about MediaFire:

MediaFire was founded in 2006 and is based near Houston, Texas. MediaFire is used by people at 86% of Fortune 500 companies and is currently ranked in the top 100 websites globally by Amazon’s Alexa and Google/DoubleClick’s Ad Planner services.

Thanks again everyone, especially to our fans who we’ve heard loud and clear evangelizing the benefits of our service. It’s easy for us to get caught up in building our technology and services and we haven’t spent enough time espousing our own benefits and differentiators. The cloud is an incredibly convenient and powerful tool for many professionals, businesses and individuals. At MediaFire, we are committed to continuing to innovate on this technology and provide it to our users in new, simple, ethical and cost effective ways.

Tom Langridge – Co-Founder, Corporate Communications

http://blog.mediafire.com/2012/01/mediafires-position-in-the-cloud-storage-market/

The sites are now panicking/evading action.

As for Megaupload.. maybe this ll clear things as to why it was taken down:

Stumbled upon this little "reviev" of a Google+ User, saying why MegaUpload was such a big threat for the US music industry.

So here's what she says:

In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (Details:- http://goo.gl/A7wUZ)

I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

^^ Read about that elsewhere just now. That would be end of not just itunes but of Google Music, Amazon also has their cloud music thing & every other cloud music service . I used megabox and it was great . It was more like grooveshark but the experience was fluid. Interface was refined & neat . I hope they get through this and launch MegaBox.

^^ Read about that elsewhere just now. That would be end of not just itunes but of Google Music, Amazon also has their cloud music thing & every other cloud music service . I used megabox and it was great . It was more like grooveshark but the experience was fluid. Interface was refined & neat . I hope they get through this and launch MegaBox.

Mate all the services you mentioned have licensed music which they are legally allowed to make available to end users. Megaupload had more than 90% pirated content on its servers. So no need to panic.

Mate all the services you mentioned have licensed music which they are legally allowed to make available to end users. Megaupload had more than 90% pirated content on its servers. So no need to panic.

Mate, actually, what he menat to say was that Megabox would be the end of all the rest of the services, maybe with the exception of iTunes. hence, maybe the US wanted to kill it off...

Back