Camera Memory Card (DSLR)

Hello guys,

I just purchased a new Nikon D3100 on the day I was leaving the USA. I only bought a 4GB memory card as that's all I could get.

I'm here in New Delhi now and I want to buy a new memory card for my camera.
What suggestions do you have in mind? I'm preferably looking for 16GB and up, if it's not too expensive. I was thinking of going to Nehru Place or somewhere else?

Thanks
Crazysah

I have 16GB Transcend calss 10 card also and rating it class 10 is nothing but false claim ....actually its performance lies between class4 and class6.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I would recommend sandisk...atleast class6 (if shooting HD videos otherwise class4 is sufficient)

The price for sandisk class 10 I have received is unbeatable, almost everywhere it is being sold for >7-8K....

just my two cents...

^^Even if it gives the speeds in the range of class6-class10, dont you think its wise to get a 32GB class 10 transcend at 2849 shipped.

Crazysah said:
Anywhere else I can order online from? And what about Sandisk? Or some other brand?

Flipkart is amongst the best online shops in india if not the best and no need to worry as you can opt for cash on delivery option,check out this thread for feedback on online shops in india: http://www.techenclave.com/hot-deals-and-discussions/best-online-store-193425.html

better get the transcend and save the money instead of spending almost double on sandisk.

Crazysah said:
Does Flipkart allow foreign debit cards?
Dont know as i dont have any foreign debit card :p you can try if it fails then you can order by cash on delivery,indian debit cards,credit cards,internet banking,cash cards etc...

Any other good memory cards of 16GB or 32GB available at Flipkart? Can't really find any.

Also, where in Nehru Place can I buy one and for how much?

Some Logic On cards.

Basically a Class 10 Card will give you an average write of 10MBPS. Now considering that the RAW on D3100 is near 15 megs and D3100 is doing 3fps, on continues shoots of about 10-12, you will get a lag in the shutter time as camera will be busy saving the file on the SD card. The advised speed for you camera will be about 3 times that on a class 10, hence about 30MBPS. So go in for either a Sandisk Extreme (30MBPS) or an Extreme Pro (45MBPS). See Link

Sandisk Extreme 16GB SD Card

Sandisk Extreme 32GB SD Card

SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s 16GB SDHC Card

SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s 32GB SDHC Card

GODSPEED

JayMathers said:
Some Logic On cards.

Basically a Class 10 Card will give you an average write of 10MBPS. Now considering that the RAW on D3100 is near 15 megs and D3100 is doing 3fps, on continues shoots of about 10-12, you will get a lag in the shutter time as camera will be busy saving the file on the SD card. The advised speed for you camera will be about 3 times that on a class 10, hence about 30MBPS. So go in for either a Sandisk Extreme (30MBPS) or an Extreme Pro (45MBPS). See Link

Sandisk Extreme 16GB SD Card

Sandisk Extreme 32GB SD Card

SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s 16GB SDHC Card

SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s 32GB SDHC Card

GODSPEED
DISAGREE

my D5000 doesnot do 30mbps, even though it should with your explanation.

What happens is that it shoots raw at 4fps (11mb each) which fill the buffer. The write speed from the buffer to the card is slower, because of which fps slows down after 11 RAW exposures.

I'm quite sure the D3100 wont do 30mbps as well.

What you need is a transcend class 10, or a sandisk ultra 2 (which do 15mbps) if you can find them. They are similarly priced.

it turns out the ultra is available on flipkart as well

SanDisk Memory Card 16 GB Ultra SDHC 16 GB Class 4: Flipkart Memory Cards

^ well my 7D does 8FPS at 18MP RAW, thats ~30MB per file. I use a Sandisk Extreme 60MBps card, takes 4 secs before the shooting becomes slow (thats 8*4 = 32frames, 32*30MB = 1GB ). Dont have a slower card to test, but I'm sort of a believer :p

Plus I have a Sandisk Extreme 4 30MBps 4GB card on the 450D as well :p

Range is between class4 - class6 .....not 6-10. Thus it may not work for all hd videos orcontinous raw shooting

Btw it never works for continous raw shooting on my 550d...

RS4 said:
^^Even if it gives the speeds in the range of class6-class10, dont you think its wise to get a 32GB class 10 transcend at 2849 shipped.

Flipkart is amongst the best online shops in india if not the best and no need to worry as you can opt for cash on delivery option,check out this thread for feedback on online shops in india: http://www.techenclave.com/hot-deals-and-discussions/best-online-store-193425.html

better get the transcend and save the money instead of spending almost double on sandisk.

^ Check if you have enabled noise reduction in Custom function settings. When turned on burst speeds go for a toss.

Crazysah said:
Hello guys,

I just purchased a new Nikon D3100 on the day I was leaving the USA. I only bought a 4GB memory card as that's all I could get.

I'm here in New Delhi now and I want to buy a new memory card for my camera.
What suggestions do you have in mind? I'm preferably looking for 16GB and up, if it's not too expensive. I was thinking of going to Nehru Place or somewhere else?

Thanks
Crazysah
I dont understand. Why would anyone need a memory card with more than 4 GB capacity. You can always transfer to pc. and free space. Unless you take lot of videos I think 4GB should be more than enough.
On a rough estimate you can take about 1000 pics of high res.

Back