CPU/Mobo Memory latency timings and Command rate.

Aces170

ex-Mod
Mar 16, 2005
Tech report has a fantastic article on tight timings and command rate influences on the A64 as expected there is a noticeable diff with tighter timings but certainly not worth the premium they enjoy. Infact according to me a 1T command rate makes a bigger diff.

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
Most of the guys here may not know enough about memory to comment (snicker)...

anyways you're abs. right....AMD has always more response sensitive than bandwidth sensitive...Infact after 466 Mhz there's no real improvement in the fps simply b'coz latencies also increase...
1T makes a big difference in AMD, ditto intel....The tighter timings are also a must...
I have for example the following DDR 400 Mhz modules
Kingston @ 2.5-3-3-8 256
kingston @ 3-3-3-8 512
corsair @ 2-2-2-5 512x2
I am getting 512x2 corsair C2PT @ 2-3-3-6...for 2 gigs of corsair....This'll be faster than 4 gigs of normal memory @ 3-3-3-8...

Aces170 said:
Tech report has a fantastic article on tight timings and command rate influences on the A64 as expected there is a noticeable diff with tighter timings but certainly not worth the premium they enjoy. Infact according to me a 1T command rate makes a bigger diff.

tracerbullet

Skilled
Jul 4, 2005
Mumbai
vandal said:
Most of the guys here may not know enough about memory to comment (snicker)...
You have no idea; consider this again before you unnecessarily put down the forum members.

I am getting 512x2 corsair C2PT @ 2-3-3-6...for 2 gigs of corsair....This'll be faster than 4 gigs of normal memory @ 3-3-3-8...
512x2 for 2 gigs, what do you mean? Are you getting 1GB or 2GB? And, on what basis are you comparing 2GB vs 4GB? Try loading Adobe Premiere and work on raw video that you just offloaded from your DV-cam. Then tell me whether 2GB is better than 4GB.

About the C2PTs, make sure that you buy the TWINX models or then you'll be stuck with severe compatibility issues (like me).

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
yeah read properly pal....b4 u make statements......I already have 1 gig of 3200XL dimm's (haven't seen any others with em in chennai)...in dual channel....

I am buying the C2PT (whether 512x2 or 1 gig x 2 depends on the price) as I can afford around 10K max.....maybe 11K.....

Actually 2 gigs of real LL mem can substitute 4 gigs of s***** ram...ofcourse you may notice differences in applications... I was referring to gaming (silly me not to specify)....

as about having no idea about knowledge of others.....well I have a fairly decent idea....

you see I have used most memories including OCZ, geil and even some rarer ones like buffalo.....

I didn't mean to malign members here......but well I still feel I know more than most...well its debatable isn't it....that's why its a forum....

anyways thanks for the advice about c2pt....I know what you mean....

tracerbullet said:
You have no idea; consider this again before you unnecessarily put down the forum members.
512x2 for 2 gigs, what do you mean? Are you getting 1GB or 2GB? And, on what basis are you comparing 2GB vs 4GB? Try loading Adobe Premiere and work on raw video that you just offloaded from your DV-cam. Then tell me whether 2GB is better than 4GB.

About the C2PTs, make sure that you buy the TWINX models or then you'll be stuck with severe compatibility issues (like me).

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
^^If you game, then you don't need more than 1GB anyway... unless you are playing battlefield 2. 4GB is a waste unless you are running something like a database server or video editing system. It is especially useless if the RAM is non ECC.

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
vandal said:
I am getting 512x2 corsair C2PT @ 2-3-3-6...for 2 gigs of corsair...

Read in a straight line, this is all it implies. You cant expect everyone to look up and see what "other memory modules you have" that you might be pairing this up with !

vandal said:
ofcourse you may notice differences in applications... I was referring to gaming (silly me not to specify)....

Good you mentioned it, cause thats what tracerbullet was trying to point out in the first place! 2 x 256MB can clock higher/achieve tighter timings and could be much "faster" than your 2 x 512MB sticks - in benchmarks !

The whole idea is that your choice of applications/situations dictates what would be a better choice. 2 GB of 2-3-3-6 being faster than 2GB of 3-3-3-8 would have made more sense than comparing it versus 4GB of RAM. There are people who would find 4GB of RAM "faster" than 2GB regardless of timings because of the apps they run!

vandal said:
corsair @ 2-2-2-5 512x2

I am getting 512x2 corsair C2PT @ 2-3-3-6...

Dear Memory expert, I hope you know that there are differences between the two sticks and as such you might be setting yourself up for incompatibilities :)

Freaky

ex-Mod
Jun 19, 2005
OT : To ease the tension here ;)

Ed, how come ur away ( As in ur siggy ) and still actively posting ? :p

Same before when ur siggy stated that u would be AWAY till 18th and u were active here. :bleh:

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
^ OT : Err.. Study break my good man :p

And yeah, ease up Vandal - claiming that you know better than everyone else is not the attitude to have if you intend to pick up anything on a forum.

Everyone's here to have a good time :)

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
The part abt reading in a straight line is stupid man...I've mentioned already having the XL's above that line, just read it again....

when I said getting means future anticipatory....I mean I am adding to the 3200Xl's...

And in case u feel that any 256 MB sticks can perform better than these....welcome to benchy with me.....

Ofcourse I will be using them on my office machine (which is an FX 57 @ 3.2 Ghz....) we used this to benchy for NVIDIA....when the 7800GTX came out.....still wanna play bad boy....

Oh the HDD's are 4 new 74 gig WD raptors in RAID 0....still wanna....?

Point I am making is that 256x2 may be tighter...but it ain't got the headroom to play with its bigger siblings...

No offense :bleh:

easing up......ahhh that's better!!!!

Crazy_Eddy said:
^ OT : Err.. Study break my good man :p

And yeah, ease up Vandal - claiming that you know better than everyone else is not the attitude to have if you intend to pick up anything on a forum.

Everyone's here to have a good time :)

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
vandal said:
Ofcourse I will be using them on my office machine (which is an FX 57 @ 3.2 Ghz....) we used this to benchy for NVIDIA....when the 7800GTX came out.....still wanna play bad boy....

What cooling are you using dude? An FX-57 @ 3.2 is gonna require phase change :p. Looks like u are blowing on the chip with ur $%^& :p

Blade_Runner

Skilled
Feb 12, 2005
www.techenclave.com
Vandal really you are asking for a ban ! Within the short time you joined up u managed to make personal assaults, get everyone riled up and angry against you. There are tons of threads reporting you behavior. All of this qualifies for a ban mate and we are still being lenient ! :|

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
Why a phase change??? Not needed The 57 actually OC'es well and I have seen some online reviews @ above 3.2Ghz....actually NVIDIA sent us this cooler (believe they got it from thermaltake)...but being a "moron" i cannot be sure.....and we've fiddled with the HT some......no way we could get 3.2 with the stock HTT...

we're using 1 gig of 3200XL's (not my ram as I have the exact same model and recommended them)...

Another thing.......the room its running in is @ an ambient 12 degrees (at the door not the a/c con units (The rig is open and an A/C duct opens right on the CPU...

What's with the blowing with your XXXXX.....??? I am being decent.....(u guys b****** abt it) so why are you being nasty??? :huh:
Chaos said:
What cooling are you using dude? An FX-57 @ 3.2 is gonna require phase change :p. Looks like u are blowing on the chip with ur $%^& :p

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
Ok....have eased up on the riling.....see my last posts......
But I can still reply if someone takes a personal swing can't I??
read the last post....in this thread where I've replied.....

A friend recommended this forum to me that's why I joined here....

Personal assaults...well stopped that now....

U still wanna ban me well....you're the mod....u decide.....

Blade_Runner said:
Vandal really you are asking for a ban ! Within the short time you joined up u managed to make personal assaults, get everyone riled up and angry against you. There are tons of threads reporting you behavior. All of this qualifies for a ban mate and we are still being lenient ! :|

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
vandal said:
U still wanna ban me well....you're the mod....u decide.....

we, the members of TE decide who will be banned :p just put up a poll "Shud Vandal be banned?" and u'll have ur answer soon :p

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
Buddy Its not my CPU....where did i mention that....man I cannot afford that sort of stuff now....
Its not even my companies.....Nvidia sent us this big box a goodies....which had a board (cannot tell u which one sorry)...an FX57 (an AMD CPU which has some confidential stuff written on the metal cover)...and 2 7800GTX's which are unbranded....just their reference samples (with some bigger HSF's)......

The memory and HDD's we bought ourselves....

The benchmarks cannot be shown here as they're not mine to show....they are sent back to Nvidia, and their tech guys from the UK and France let us know what we're doing wrong......Now the benchmark is also one of their inhouse ones....and I do not know how it compares to 3d mark etc....

And I think the last comment u made was a cheap shot.....just b'coz currently i'm not very popular here u thought you'd get away with it....anyways....forgiven cause I haven't exctly been angel gabriel himself......

Chaos said:
^^Okay vandal I believe you. Just show me a CPU-Z screenshot of your FX-57 @ 3.2GHz :p

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
Ok buddy your theory....stick to it.....some guys here can verify exactly where I am and what I do for a living......;)

Chaos said:
^^ Excuses. Cos you have nothing :p and are bs'ing all the while!

Vandal

Skilled
Nov 9, 2005
yeah sunny "if wishes were horses/BMW's......." heh.....kids.....

SunnyBoi said:
we, the members of TE decide who will be banned :p just put up a poll "Shud Vandal be banned?" and u'll have ur answer soon :p