Men who share selfies online, have psychopathic tendencies: Study

So are you a male, who likes sharing his selfies online on Facebook and Instagram? According to a latest study from Ohio State University, you are more likely to exhibit psychopathic tendencies. Whereas those of you who highly edit their selfies before posting them online, score higher points in narcissism and self-objectification.

The research project, led by Ohio State University communications professor Jesse Fox, involved surveying around 800 men between the ages of 18 to 40 years old and studied their social-media photo-posting habits.

According to Fox, while the fact that people who liked posting their pictures online were narcissistic, it was proved true in a study for the first time. “The more interesting finding is that they also score higher on this other anti-social personality trait, psychopathy, and are more prone to self-objectification,” says Fox in a paper titled Personality and Individual Differences.

The results show that men who post selfies online are more than likely to exhibit narcissistic and psychopathic tendencies. Although it dosen’t necessarily mean that those men are narcissists or psychopaths, but show a higher-than-average levels of those traits.

According to Fox, online photo sharing presents a ‘self-reinforcing cycle’. This means that the more selfies you post, the more feedback you get from others and that causes you to in effect post more selfies.

Fox’s next study involves quantifying how much selfie-culture increases self-objectification.
Source

Although it dosen’t necessarily mean that those men are narcissists or psychopaths, but show a higher-than-average levels of those traits.
How much higher ?

According to Fox, online photo sharing presents a ‘self-reinforcing cycle’. This means that the more selfies you post, the more feedback you get from others and that causes you to in effect post more selfies.
This could be used to describe the internet in general. I will receive feedback for this post so i will make another :D

Psychopaths are most successful in life as they feels emotions differently... Cunning and no empathy.. very few actually kill

Fact : Most company CEOs are psychopaths

Selfies be damned! One of the most annoying things in the world. Taking one or two is fine but when people are obsessed with selfies and constant sharing on social networking sites they become a pain in the ass. its like they have low self esteem which is sad. And i thought this would be trended by only teens and adolescents but oh how wrong i am. Even full grown adults are affected by it.
my take on this, take selfies if you like but dont share them online. you might even get meme'd by trolls.

Last edited:
Selfies be damned! One of the most annoying things in the world. Taking one or two is fine but when people are obsessed with selfies and constant sharing on social networking sites they become a pain in the ass. its like they have low self esteem which is sad. And i thought this would be trended by only teens and adolescents but oh how wrong i am. Even full grown adults are affected by it.
my take on this, take selfies if you like but dont share them online. you might even get meme'd by trolls.
This used to be the case with chain letters and jokes. EVERYBODY in the list gets it. Depending on how big the list it, there is an exponential factor involved. This is what we endured before spam became popular.

How to get off the list ? behave like a psychopath :D

BTW why only Men? Well it was all started by the fairer sex and still no studies on women??:eek:

Today selfies are nothing but just a show-off thing. And whoever gets attracted to it beyond certain level are simply dumb idiots esp. those who keeps on taking selfies even in toilets, public, and every now and then... seems like thee wants to say--Hey I'm still alive...in a * way:banghead:
And beyond that such people even tag others ...:facepalm:Well the others weren't in your toilets or bathrooms when you clicked that selfie, right??? :finger:

Gosh!!!:stop:

Last edited:
I think people who have a problem with selfies should abandon facebook like I did. I am now free from peeking into my neighbour's yard to see what they are doing. Also, I keep contact with my close friends now instead of thousand acquaintances. Watsapp has also eliminated need for facebook.

Back