MFT... How much shud we allocate?

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Guys..
Hw much is d amount of mft tat shud be allocated for each partition in XP?
Diskeeper has an inbuilt option to set it.. But is tat d optimum one?
Pl giv ur suggestions...
TIA.. :)

i think u can go with the amount diskeeper suggests...i set it according to the suggested value of diskeeper and it works perfectly for me..

Maximum Volume Size
In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264-1 clusters. However, the maximum NTFS volume size as implemented in Windows XP Professional is 232-1 clusters. For example, using 64 KiB clusters, the maximum NTFS volume size is 256 TiB minus 64 KiB. Using the default cluster size of 4 KiB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16 TiB minus 4 KiB. Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 TiB, dynamic or GPT volumes must be used to create bootable NTFS volumes over 2 TiB.
Maximum File Size
Theoretical: 16 EiB minus 1 KiB (264 − 210 bytes). Implementation: 16 TiB minus 64 KiB (244 − 216 bytes)
However i would suggest you to use the recommended MFT size with Diskeeper or ultradefrag

as far as i know should be know first how mush size your drive then as you mine you want to create it 1 partition or 2 or 3 partiton then you have two system files
NTF & FAT
chose NTFS

Back