Microsft's Security Essentials

While going through my usual routine of Tech site trolling, I came across the article showing the new Security Essentials, finally coming out of Beta and free to download for public use.

Since the time of XP, Window's native security features were almost non-existent. With the launch of Windows Vista, which although received a cold reception, it proved that world's most vulnerable OS has found something to protect its klutzy self. (Yes I'm a Linux Fanboy :bleh: )

Vista implemented security on various levels, the much-hated User Access Control Center, which with Windows 7, has been improved a lot.

The Windows Defender, the native protection tool for security against spywares and viruses and such. Then we also saw the Malicious Software Removal tool. It was also supposed to work as an Anti-Spyware and Trojan Remover but till now, on my system, it hasn't done anything and for that I think credit goes to Avast and Spybot, both running 24/7 on my system.

With the launch of Security Essentials, Microsoft aims to provide a complete security package for its users, straight out of the box. With the advent of Windows 7's launch, this move makes sense.

Now onto the software itself.

The setup is available for download at the Microsoft's site. Link is also present here. It comes for all the flavors of currently available client OS provided by Microsoft.

1. Windows XP 32-bit (No mention of 64-bit version but I suspect that XP x64 SP1 will be able to handle it.)
  2. Windows Vista/Windows 7 32-bit
  3. Windows Vista/Windows 7 64-bit

I am currently running Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2 so the 64-bit was my choice. The installer package is of 4.71MB in size.

Like all Microsoft products, it too verifies your copy of Windows for Authenticity and then proceeds with install. The system requirements for this application as mentioned on the Microsoft's site are:

Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7

• For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
  • For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
  • VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
  • 140 MB of available hard disk space.
  • An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
  • Internet Browser:
    • Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
    • Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
  • Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
Now the installation is fairly simple and small but things start happening when the actual software runs.

First of all, as many of you would have guessed by now, the setup itself contains no signature files or database. It downloads them on its initial run so a good Internet connection is required.

Second thing I noticed was that, upon running, it disabled the Windows Defender, which I later activated manually. Not a good thing to do Mr.Gates :no:

Even while writing this review, Windows Defender was turned off twice, guess they both can't just along. ;)

Now lets come to the peepshow.

The Home Screen

The thing that I really liked about this software was the ease of access and use while creating file and program exception. Following pics will show that.

Like all other AntiVirus tools, it too has scheduled scan settings and the advanced settings for Removable media scanning and sort.

Besides these settings for Real time scan and actions after detection, all can be defined and configured using the self-explanatory GUI.

A few more screen shots

The total scan time took nearly 3 and Half hours, pretty fast as compared to Avast's run-time scan and it detected various Trojans and viruses that I keep in my repository. ;)So my final words for this are summarized as below.

Pros-

• Lightweight
  • Not Resource hungry, even during full-system scan, neither the system was bogged down or the usage went up more than 25%.
  • Fast
  • Free

Cons-

• No Automatic Update like Avast, Scheduled ones like AVG. This creates problem in Indian scenario where there is no assurance of Power or connectivity. It resorts us to do manual updates. :mad:
  • Turns off other Window's features like Defender

As of now the best thing I found about it besides it being fast, was that it has no compatibility issues with already running protection suites like Avast and Spybot. No McAfee-Norton slugfest here. :rofl: So right now, I rate it 4/5. Happy with its performance and service. Suggestions, corrections, criticism, everything welcomed. :cool2:

Just ditched Avivra and got this, was waiting for it be officially released, it already has a AntiMalware scanning in it hence it disables the Windows Defender. Fast, low on resources, seems to be decent enough for a free solution

Great review. I have a question?

Does it come with a built-in firewall or do we have to rely on Win FW or some other 3rd party FW?

@Zenflox Its only Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware so Firewall is Windows default one only, no new updates have been made to it.

@WingZero Win Defender is not needed and is disabled automatically by this anti-virus as it provides real time protection too.

OffTopic: How to make the review a multi-page one. i didn't see any option to do so while writing this otherwise would have made a more structured and decent review.

Are you sure about the Auto Update? MS themselves list it as a feature. Will download it and give it a spin to confirm.

Edit: To span an article across pages, use the [BREAK=PageTitle] tag. Replace 'PageTitle' with the page title you wish to use :)

As far as I have observed,Windows Update starts offering the update for Security Essentials once you install it. So if your Windows Update is set to install updates automatically,it updates the virus definitions as well.:bleh:

Back