WP Microsoft abandoning Windows Phone OS?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
See https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/win...it-unveils-new-mission-statement-to-employees

Something about making "tough choices" , seems to me too that they could kill off Windows Phone OS after the Windows 10 Mobile release!

Hints being steps like releasing various MS apps for iOS and Android (Office, OneDrive, Cortana etc).

What do you folks think? This will affect my next phone purchase (planned at the end of this year) for sure, might just have to go Android :(

If you mean are there chances of abandoning the WP ecosystem - yes

However, they have planned to move all devices to the W10 OS, so you may need to upgrade, thats all.

Either way, I think Android and iOS is the best out there and WP/WM/idkwtf is meh at best.

After using HTC HD7 with WP7.x for 5 yrs and just a few days ago got an iphone 6 for office use, I find the UI on WP7 better than iOS overall - yes there are annoyances on both OSes but overall WP7 wins IMO. Haven't tried Android before so can't comment though I suspect it will be better than iOS for sure but again I need to compare between Android and WP.

There are latest posts online that MS is planning more layoffs especially in the devices area so looks like Windows 10 mobile will go into immediate "maintenance" mode and probably not get too many updates/improvements - just like they abandoned WP7 pretty much and like Nokia abandoned my beloved N900 linux phone :(

Good it burned to the ground, they ruined one of the best companies with that trojan horse Stephen Elop.
I'd used the Focus with Mango for a couple of months back in the day and didn't really come out impressed.

I'm not a big fan of Android or iOS either but the cellphone market is a really dull place atm, every time I hold one of these chinese phones it just reminds me how good Nokia was at product design.

If only nokia had gone the android way! What a combo it would have been... MS forced a great phone maker with funding to go Windows only, acquired it, and trashed and discarded it. Feel bad to see fate of the great Nokia going this way..

In their quest to push MS mobile adoption, they sacrificed one of the best mobile handset makers in history.

My experience from owning various Nokia phones ... including 3310 , 8210 , 3350 , ngage qd , n73 , some CDMA models and lastly e63 and c7 . I'd say Nokia build quality second to none . Symbian was getting laggy expecially Symbian belle in the c7 . They should have shifted to android . Hell they even supported 3g video calling from n73 days . I could video call my daughter from my trips without a data plan . Even a 50 k android or apple phone does not do this except Samsung and the Chinese mediatek chips set phones . I miss that . 3g video call without data is the main reason at least one of my phones is always a Samsung .
I'd buy a Nokia in a heartbeat if they had android and 3g video call . N8 was awesome too . Beyond my budget at that time .
Sorry OT.

Back