Microsoft to acquire Nokia’s devices & services business, license Nokia’s patents

Actually MS bought Nokia is to get "Asha OS" now it will be re branded as Windows 9 and it will replace windows 8 on Lumias and surface tabs even they will replace the windows 8 on desktop with Asha OS , and once again microsft gain the market share in mobile OS and they will beat iphone and androids . they may bring DOS to run on current asha series .
LOL.. but well said.

Can you please list tablets with Ivy bridge + touchscreen IPS that are significantly cheaper than 800$? Do you know how much Samsung charge for their Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro? :p

To be frank i did not know that.
also It's confusing with names like Surface Pro and RT. what are they pitted against Ipad or Macbook pro.
I understand it is a hybrid. Maybe it is little ahead of it's time.
As a tech crowd not too tech savvy my self included or people who are into tech thinks that surface is their product to intercept or enounter Ipad.
But confused with the pricing.

Surface appeal's to very narrow group of people or customers.
Real life example -
My mom who is 60 yr uses Ipad for mail ,skype and internet and my Son 1.3 yrs listen interactives Rhymes and play with ipad moving from one screen to another.

I do not require a Ivy bridge for checking mail ,browsing internet and mobile games.
Ipad makes complete sense and Surface does not.

Microsoft take page from Apple to be hardware and software company.
Their past product indicates they lack actual market research,real innovation and thier product are not desirable.
But they got right with Xbox.
If same approch or strategy is going to remain they are going to ruin Nokia's mobile devices division as well. Most of the divison such as marketing ,HR,supply chain and many more are going to be merged.

Last edited:
I do not require a Ivy bridge for checking mail ,browsing internet and mobile games.
Thats what the Tegra equipped Surface RT is for. And last I checked its 350$. Whatever way you look at it, the hardware isn't overpriced.

To be frank i did not know that.
also It's confusing with names like Surface Pro and RT. what are they pitted against Ipad or Macbook pro.
I understand it is a hybrid. Maybe it is little ahead of it's time.
As a tech crowd not too tech savvy my self included or people who are into tech thinks that surface is their product to intercept or enounter Ipad.
But confused with the pricing.

Surface appeal's to very narrow group of people or customers.
Real life example -
My mom who is 60 yr uses Ipad for mail ,skype and internet and my Son 1.3 yrs listen interactives Rhymes and play with ipad moving from one screen to another.

Microsoft take page from Apple to be hardware and software company.
Their past product indicates they lack actual market research,real innovation and thier product are not desirable.
But they got right with Xbox.
If same approch or strategy is going to remain they are going to ruin Nokia's mobile devices division as well. Most of the divison such as marketing ,HR,supply chain and many more are going to be merged.

Granted, for your usage, its perfect. Many would agree that Ipads and Android tablets are good for consumption.

But this is my usage:

I need to have access to the full suite of MS Office at all times when I travel.
I need the ability to run multiple apps simultaneously.
Need to run desktop apps even for just 2 mins on the road.
I really badly need something that does all that without weighing a ton or scorching my b@lls.

Surface Pro fit the bill perfectly. Surface RT did about 90% of all that. iPad and Android tablets about 20%. So sum it up, Microsoft's surface is a perfect solution who's needs are a bit more on Content creation/work than those who want consumption.

And anyone who says that the build quality is poor is nuts. I have honestly never seen a better engineered tablet than this. But yeah they should have dropped the price initially. It was way too overpriced. And the RT should be merged with WP or the app catalogue should improve. Otherwise its just way too niche a product for the mass market.

Granted, for your usage, its perfect. Many would agree that Ipads and Android tablets are good for consumption.

But this is my usage:

I need to have access to the full suite of MS Office at all times when I travel.
I need the ability to run multiple apps simultaneously.
Need to run desktop apps even for just 2 mins on the road.
I really badly need something that does all that without weighing a ton or scorching my b@lls.

Surface Pro fit the bill perfectly. Surface RT did about 90% of all that. iPad and Android tablets about 20%. So sum it up, Microsoft's surface is a perfect solution who's needs are a bit more on Content creation/work than those who want consumption.

And anyone who says that the build quality is poor is nuts. I have honestly never seen a better engineered tablet than this. But yeah they should have dropped the price initially. It was way too overpriced. And the RT should be merged with WP or the app catalogue should improve. Otherwise its just way too niche a product for the mass market.

Thanks for educating me on the surface. Let's get real ,most of us do not require your kind of usage. Even then Laptop is available for that. People looking for surface Pro or RT are very less.

The below quote is what I try to convay, seems most of us thinking on the same line.

Like the Kin before it, Microsoft's attempt to control the hardware and software of the Surface has led to astonishingly bad results. Despite spending nearly $900 million on advertising alone for Windows 8 and Surface, it took an equally large inventory charge on the Surface RT tablet. From the get-go, the Surface RT launched with a hamstrung OS that no one could understand. It was Windows, but not really; it could run applications, but only from its own store. And, it was priced in line with Apple's iPad -- and let's face it, if the masses have $500 to drop on a tablet, they're (by and large) going home with a piece of fruit.

Source : http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/nokiasoft-comes-full-circle-microsoft-windows-control/

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/03/lets-get-real-nobody-will-license-windows-phone-or-windows-rt-now/

http://stratechery.com/2013/the-deal-that-makes-no-sense/

Last edited:
@hahahari

If most consumers had usage pattern as yours then Microsoft wouldn't have had to reduce the prices like this and wouldn't have to write off the losses due to non sale of their inventory. The companies should think about catering most people's requirements and not a niche audience else they cannot make profit.
And if surface are a totally different league tablet than iPad / Android then I am not sure why they are mocking iPad in all their ads, probably because they aren't able to sell the product on its own merits and would rather choose to show that other tablet like iPad is a benchmark that they want to tackle. Too bad this lets people know iPad is a product which all companies want to beat and this in turn helps sales of iPad and such.

Thanks for educating me on the surface. Let's get real ,most of us do not require your kind of usage. Even then Laptop is available for that. People looking for surface Pro or RT are very less.

The below quote is what I try to convay, seems most of us thinking on the same line.

Source : http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/nokiasoft-comes-full-circle-microsoft-windows-control/

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/03/lets-get-real-nobody-will-license-windows-phone-or-windows-rt-now/

http://stratechery.com/2013/the-deal-that-makes-no-sense/

I agreed. Like I said RT was crippled from the beginning. It is like Win 8 and WP8 had a retarded baby together. It has been sidelined to a niche so small that it did not sell at all.

Oh btw, trust me. No laptop is comfortable as using a surface. Believe me, I have tried. Too heavy, too bulky, too hot. One of those 3 are gonna hit you. Like I said, they should have priced it properly.

@hahahari

If most consumers had usage pattern as yours then Microsoft wouldn't have had to reduce the prices like this and wouldn't have to write off the losses due to non sale of their inventory. The companies should think about catering most people's requirements and not a niche audience else they cannot make profit.
And if surface are a totally different league tablet than iPad / Android then I am not sure why they are mocking iPad in all their ads, probably because they aren't able to sell the product on its own merits and would rather choose to show that other tablet like iPad is a benchmark that they want to tackle. Too bad this lets people know iPad is a product which all companies want to beat and this in turn helps sales of iPad and such.

Consumers have the choice now and thats what matters most. Let me put this to you in a very simple way. Say that RT had all the apps that iPad has, do you see anything even remotely wrong with? The hardware execution was perfect. The software is what screwed things up. Give it a few years and if Microsoft is smart, it will be able to leverage the surface into something more than a niche product.

*Get rid of RT as a separate OS.
*Reduce the shock between metro and traditional desktop.
*Improve the Apps catalogue.
*Price it properly.

There is a large group of people who would like to use iPads for work as well as play but are unable to. Even currently satisfied iPad consumers would switch to Surface if they were able to give similar "media consumption" capabilities that iPad currently has while giving them the capability to run desktop software if they need to.

RT was a stupid option right from the beginning. And people aren't realizing that the Surface Pro was a hit. It is the Surface RT that was behind the losses.
They didn't realize early on that the only people going for hybrid devices will be the power users who are looking to replace their laptops. For them the Surface Pro is a match made in heaven, as are other hybrids.
Again the reason for the failure of RT is the lack of apps. Why would anyone buy it over an iPad or a Nexus tablet. If they could have somehow managed to let the RT run x86 apps, then trust me it could have been the most commercially successful product out there. Same reason why Windows phone sales are not killing iPhone and Android sales. They need to (turbo) boost their app development as good hardware is not good enough on it's own to turn around the fortunes of a company.

I also think we will not see any new hardware from other OEM manufacturers in the future. Microsoft will, in all probability, go the Apple way and turn to in-house production of devices. Will have to wait and see how many models they decide to design and support.

So the trojan horse aka Stephen Elop has done his job successfully. Their main focus will be new advanced tech, whatever that means. Let's just hope they are going to build those concepts which they've been showing us for years.

No one can tell me that Elop wasn't a trojan horse placed strategically by MS into Nokia to begin what would culminate in what has happened right now.

Nokia would have never, ever come to this decision under Finnish leadership. I believe that had Elop not been CEO of Nokia, that they'd likely have been selling some pretty top-notch Android devices, as well as the great WP devices they have on the market. It certainly would not have been WP only.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this, and by that I mean Elop as MS CEO, not Nokia + MS, since that has basically been what it's been anyway since their partnership years ago.

Back