Microsoft : Upgraded Motherboard = New Licence

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that “Microsoft needed to have one base component “left standing” that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the “heart and soul” of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.”

Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.

From Aviran's Place

Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners

Relax. This appears to apply only to OEM licenses. The retail versions have to remain the same as they have no restrictions on which computer you install them on - as long as it is one single computer.

oh f*** .. i am having an OEM copy of win xp home .. now ill need to hunt for a crack for it as i am planning to change my whole rig. wht the f*** man ..

apollyon said:
to all guys b**ching abt this, plz get an original copy of windows xp n then complain all u want... beggars cant be choosers :)

The problem is, mine is an original OEM copy. Apart from having to reactivate every time I uninstall the drivers for 8 or more devices on my computer, and recieving the 'You have reached the maximum number of activations on your serial key' error if I try to use the Internet, and then calling Microsoft to get my activation key and activating my product, I now have to deal with this.

Actually, this news is no big deal. Microsoft is quite friendly with customers, you just gotta be a smooth talker to get by this "restriction" (REALLY!) :p

i have also original copy ... now at the time of upgrading i have to think about the motherboard ....

if ASUS release some kind of socket conversion for 939 to AM2 :lol:

does this rule apply for people who had purcahsed OEM win xp before this policy came out ? i am screwed if it does :(

mohit said:
does this rule apply for people who had purcahsed OEM win xp before this policy came out ? i am screwed if it does :(

Yes, I think this also applies if you purchased an OEM copy before this policy came out. I've got 2 original OEM licenses (thanks to a screw-up at the seller's side:D), and I hope I'll be able to talk smoothly enough when I do upgrade my mobo.....

but what happens to people who get their mobo replaced due to warranty issues ?? and another case can be if i get a different mobo as replacement for a mobo i sent for rma as many old mobos get discontinued from production... what happens then ??

^^i dont know bout vendors ... but i am worried if my copy of win xp home will activate or not on my new mobo .. i mean MS keeps all records i think and they know exactly what hardware is present in my system n stuff.. will i be able to activate my setup with a new mobo ?

hopeless!! < /me happy as he has a retail licence >

they are just forcing piracy :( if my mobo burns or dies (it does a lot here), i have to have a new Windows if i got a OEM earlier?? :( ... here comes piracy

mohit said:
but what happens to people who get their mobo replaced due to warranty issues ?? and another case can be if i get a different mobo as replacement for a mobo i sent for rma as many old mobos get discontinued from production... what happens then ??

In that case, you'll just need to explain the situation to MS. If the Microsoft operator is not satisfied, then you are screwed, unfortunately.

Back