Budget 31-40k Mid-range general purpose build

soggy316

Adept
  1. What is your budget?
    • 30-50k (the lower the better :p)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Q9550 cooled by CM Hyper 212
    • Motherboard - Abit iP35-Pro
    • GPU - ATI 4850
    • RAM - 8GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
    • Monitor - Dell 2410
    • PSU - Corsair HX620
    • CM690
    • El-cheapo kb and mouse
    • Xonar DX sound card + Audio Technica HP
    • 2TB storage
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • HDD
    • PSU - Corsair HX620 (if possible)
    • Xonar DX and headphones
    • ATI 4850 (if other components exceed budget)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Haswell / AMD equivalent (whichever allows me to upgrade to the next gen proccys later)
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard, preferably should have 2 ethernet ports
    • Monitor - Should have good colour reproduction either one 22-24" monitor or multiple 17" (don't know if that makes sense)
    • GPU - last component to be added, if budget allows, else will upgrade later
    • PSU - if needed (HX620 is ~ 5years old)
    • SSD - for OS and frequent programs (120GB should be enough)
    • RAM - 4-8GB
    • Cabinet - The CM HAF series seems nice
    • Decent KB/mouse combo (if budget permits)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • Graphics card (if not done in this iteration)
    • PSU (if I retian the HX620)
    • RAM - 4->8 GB (if I buy 4 this time)
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Pune
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming (mostly adventure/strategy/indie/GTA games, mid-low graphics are fine)
    • Internet stuff (no 24x7 type things)
    • Media (TV/Movies/Music)
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4/Total War/Starcraft/etc
    • Adventure / Indie games
    • GTA,
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1920x1080
    2. Gaming - Anything reasonable (1440x960)
  12. to overclock?
    • Not likely
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit (will upgrade to 8/8.1 if that $40 offer comes back)
    • Linux - Ubuntu (maybe)

Looking to upgrade my 5 year old system, looking to replace most components, I need to buy a monitor (if possible IPS) as well. I have been out of touch with the hardware scene for a while, so I am not entirely suer if my budget and requirements are compatible.

So, I've done some digging around on the net and have come up with this:

Intel i5 4430 - 12.5k (or the i3 4340 when it comes out for ~10k?)
Asus/Gigabyte/MSI H87 motherboard - 7.5k
2x4GB gskill ~ 5k
Samsung 840 evo/plextor M5S - 8k
CM HAF912 - 5.5k
Dell/AOC/HP 23 inch ips - 15k
Seasonic 600W power supply - 5.5k
Kb + mouse - 3k

That comes to around 62k. I could save 8.5k if i forgo the power supply and kb/mouse.

So I am at about 51k. Any comments/suggestions on the choices made above? do you see a savings of around 2-3k so I can sneak a decent KB/mouse in there

Last edited:
Your HX620 should be fine. Why do you want to replace your 2410? Its far better than the e-ips models selling these days.

No need to replace the monitor and psu like Crazy_Eddy said. Those are still one of the best you can get in the market now.

You can also use your old cabinet. Then you save around 26k. Get a good graphics card now like 7770 or some 8 series card or wait for the newer series of cards that might come by November.

The monitor has to be replaced, (it's a 2409 not a 2410, my bad). The liquid of the LCD is running down one side in a ~5mm band. It clears up when the monitor warms up, but it will only grow in size (this happened with my previous monitor too). But I guess I can put off that purchase until it completely dies.

Any specific advice on the SSD and i5 vs i3?

Check out the threads on the AOC monitors : http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/how-are-aoc-monitors-compared-to-dell.151812/ , http://www.techenclave.com/communit...vq-ips-monitor-compared-to-dell-u2312.151787/

SSD - Samsung 840 Pro preferably, since the 840 vanilla and 840 evo use TLC NAND which has a lower lifespan. If budget is tight then 840 evo.

The i3 is a dual core. Would be a downgrade from your Q9xxx. Better stick to the i5. Although do note the current Haswell socket apparently does not have an upgrade path, in which case your only option is the AMD AM3+ socket.

I would get the SSD and the monitor for now. Wait for the upcoming GPU releases and snag one and upgrade if the CPU is a bottleneck.

Last edited:
My final list of components

Silverstone SST-PS03 2600
i5-4440 13000
Asrock H87Pro4 or Gigabyte H85 8100
Gskill/Kingston DDR3 1600 8GB 6000
TVS mech kb/other KB 2000
Logitech G300 1800
Samsung Pro 128GB SSD 9400

Monitor and GFX card are deferred till mid-next year.

I got the prices off Prime's website - are they good/bad/ugly?

Any other comments?

My final list of components

Silverstone SST-PS03 2600
i5-4440 13000
Asrock H87Pro4 or Gigabyte H85 8100
Gskill/Kingston DDR3 1600 8GB 6000
TVS mech kb/other KB 2000
Logitech G300 1800
Samsung Pro 128GB SSD 9400

Monitor and GFX card are deferred till mid-next year.

I got the prices off Prime's website - are they good/bad/ugly?

Any other comments?

> get Kingston hyperX blu 1600 MHx ram from Flipkart. It's cheapest on FK and offers performance equivalent to RipjawsX.

> Prime ABGB is good, though first get a quotation locally. You may save on shipping charges.

Back