Mobile GPS help

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hello, I got N79 yesterday.. I have no idea of using the GPS on the phone, as it's my first phone which has GPS :p

I tried to play with Maps application in that, I clicked on my Position, it says Waiting for GPS, but it doesn't connect to GPS for long long time.. What's the procedure to connect it??

Thanks,

Rahul.

I dont know about Nokia but my Asus takes about 5 mins before it connects to a GPS satellite , also you need to be standing in the open

^^ Hello guys, After playing with the application for 1 hour, I got how to get the satellite locked..

You've to select My Location, then your device Waits for GPS. You've to wait there until it locks the satellite, best place to do this is Open..

Now I got the signal...

@rahul,

Even I have a Nokia n79 man. Nokia Maps is a bit slow so do this, try using it ourdoors rather than indoors. Outdoors, the connectivity is better. May be your GPRS connection is slow. But for me the application works properly, i have also downoaded maps for Bangalore. apart from Nokia Maps, down load Google maps for N79, is is free and available on GetJar: Free Java, Symbian, Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, Palm and Flash Lite mobile games and applications. It works perfectly. Also, when you are using Nokia Maps connect suing Wi-Fi rather than GPRS. If ithis does not help mail me at vikramdeo[AT]nampblog[DOT]com

^^ you will need gprs for exploring maps too... although whatever you explore while online can be accessed offline to..

You will need to be the open as GPS depends on satellites. You will not get signals in the house/ tunnels/ buildings etc.

For maps you can look at mapmyindia or other such paid maps, which will be saved on your memory card, and you will not need a GPRS connection. Also I believe they offer updated maps regularly, so u can benefit from that too.

My nokia n82 takes less than 1min to get locked, all nokia N series phones have good GPS module, it even manages to find satellites indoors but takes more time to locate.

Best free mapping software is mgmaps it can store google maps so no need for internet connection.

For nokia users for faster satellite locking open "GPS Data" under Application, hold the phone at 45 Degree angle towards the sky ,wait for the satellite lock, then use whatever mapping software u r using.

axeman said:
You will need to be the open as GPS depends on satellites. You will not get signals in the house/ tunnels/ buildings etc.

For maps you can look at mapmyindia or other such paid maps, which will be saved on your memory card, and you will not need a GPRS connection. Also I believe they offer updated maps regularly, so u can benefit from that too.
MapmyIndia doesnt work on symbian AFAIK

N79 :

The GPS receiver is tad slow. It does not work indoors. Even in car/buses it takes time to lock on.

Depending on the GPS software you use, you may or may not need the GPRS. If you use Garmin with all India Map, you will not need GPRS. If you use Google maps then you need as the terrain is updated on the fly.

-=Unreal=- said:
My nokia n82 takes less than 1min to get locked, all nokia N series phones have good GPS module, it even manages to find satellites indoors but takes more time to locate.

Best free mapping software is mgmaps it can store google maps so no need for internet connection.

For nokia users for faster satellite locking open "GPS Data" under Application, hold the phone at 45 Degree angle towards the sky ,wait for the satellite lock, then use whatever mapping software u r using.

how do I add map to mgmaps??

I am having MapMyIndia on my Touch Pro but I am not able to use it somehow. The process is tedious & I dont have the time to go through the entire How to do. Any help in this regard would be helpful. :) AFAIK GPS is just not so well working in India.

sakshamkatyal said:
AFAIK GPS is just not so well working in India.
It works well.. The only catch.. well keep your eyes open for the unexpected potholes and roadblocks.
I have N79 and tried Garmin with All India map - While en route manali it showed me where we were, with great accuracy.

sakshamkatyal said:
I am having MapMyIndia on my Touch Pro but I am not able to use it somehow. The process is tedious & I dont have the time to go through the entire How to do. Any help in this regard would be helpful. :) AFAIK GPS is just not so well working in India.
whats the problem? wer u got stuck?
gps works really well in india, since u have mapmyindia u will aso get voice guidance and best map set for india.

Just came home from Airport using turn-by-turn on my iPhone 3G. Worked flawlessly including voice directions.

Earlier I was of the similar view that India is still not ready for GPS, but I was wrong.

Back