mobile phone @15K

Know it wud be silly ques. to ask, after reading so much of threads for the same.......:S

I was all towards Defy and could have even opted to buy it from local shop @15.2
but I got to see a piece with shopkeeper himself, and it did'nt appealed a bit.......
In Videos and pics it looks gud, but is it like that in real.....
May be it's looks are being backed up with some solid performance,

How does it compares in performance with nexus S or any other option in this range.....

Main features required

1) Ruggedness......(gorilla glass)...hope both have it....can so away with waterproofing, but spending 15K or more, it shud be bit durable.
2) Android update.....don'nt know upto where will defy go...also for samsung
but with better hardware, will nexus S go much beyond defy
3) Front camera....skype calling etc.....defy lacks it :(
4) Multimedia capabilities...from reviews it looks like defy is also good, but does it compares with nexus S
5) Screen quality.....Reviews suggest Defy has a lot better screen than other capacitive screens, but does it match anywhere around S-LCD.....S-AMOLED is out of ques in this range I guess :(

Any thoughts ??

Please suggest shud I buy Defy @15.2 or letsbuy (that silly jabra deal is a real dealbreaker)....actulally if it has to be defy than why wait for 3-4 days :hap2:

Buddy, you are comparing 14.5k Moto Defy to 20k Nexus S, hardly justice. I would say it performs nearly 90% or Nexus S for 75% of the price.

Also, if you are not sure about Defy and need that front camera, might I suggest:

Spice Mi 410 @ 13k

But I still think Motorola Defy is a great deal, and btw, if you use the coupon, either ICICILB or RCOMLB1(whichever gives greater discount to you), Moto Defy's price at letsbuy.com comes to 14.5k only.

Here, I think you should go ahead: http://www.letsbuy.com/motorola-defy-p-13040

But since you are curious:

1. Moto Defy is damn rugged

2. It's getting official Android 2.3, but CM7 already has Android 2.3.4 for it

3. Yes it lacks a front camera

4. From what I gather, using a hack, it can play 720p videos

5. The screen can't be compared to S-AMOLED come on, but it is still bright, and crisp!

Motorola Defy and Nexus S differ in performances.

Nexus S - 1ghz processor (Hummingbird), Powervr sgx 540 GPU (Still best for single core phones), Android 2.3.4 with fast updates in future from google, Excellent media but no dedicated video player and no 720p video recording, Sound is excellent though and Has SuperLCD Screen. But priced at 19k online and some 25k in shops, it might be outside your budget.

Why not Spice MI-410 (Huawei X6 rebrand) - 14k

1 ghz MSM 8255 Processor, 14.4 MBps DL, 4.1 inch screen WVGA, Adrenos 205 (Much better than moto defy gpu and on par with nexus s gpu) 51mb ram, Front facing camera, 5 mp with flash on back, running froyo but gingerbread coming at end of month. It has Desire HD/Incredible S hardware for practically 10k less than premium brands. I could recommend but I do not yet know fully about spice, as I recently moved to India. But one thing for sure, it is just rebrand of Huawei X6. Check out the thread and it seems users are satisfied.

I still think other than screen display everything that Huawei offers are in par with Name brands. Same 2nd generation qualcomm processor, Same RAM, Decent ROM (2 gb) as HTC or Sony offerings. Only Camera is a bit downer, but still capable of 720p recording. But I never give importance to camera/video performance. Plus it can play 720p HD videos, which is more than sufficient for smaller screens. Only thing I am concerned is how will spice treat me after I buy the product? Other than that this is pound for pound equal to HTC or Sony and the price is just unbelievable.

how about customer service for Huawei X6 ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

also, how about the display and sound quality from MI 410

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

can anyone confirm if letsbuy sells white color for defy too ????

[quote name='comp@ddict']

Defy easily plays 720p videos. My defy can record 720p videos too. Defy now has close to 10 gingerbread roms. It ranks 3rd (no of installs) in the list of mobiles running CM7 across the world :)

Since Huawei X6 is re branded in India as Spice, you will have to handle with Spice customer service. That is my question also. Being new to India, I am getting mixed reviews about Spice customer service. Some say it is good, while others say they have incompetent people in service center. But spice website shows decent amount of service center in India plus there are Spice hotspots.

Huawei Customer experience was bad for me. I was using Ideos S7 (Tablet) in Denver (USA) and almost non existent support there. There I had to deal with the warranty from Best Buy since that is the store I bought it from. So I think it might be the same here. But then again I might be wrong.

Display is 480x800 with 227.55 ppi. It is actually good, but cannot be compared to SuperLCD/SuperAmoled/Bravia Display. Sound is also better since it has stereo speaker on either side.

killmastern3 said:
[quote name='comp@ddict']

Defy easily plays 720p videos. My defy can record 720p videos too. Defy now has close to 10 gingerbread roms. It ranks 3rd (no of installs) in the list of mobiles running CM7 across the world :)

Can all defy's get 720p recording ability ????

Is there anything like green/red lens?

If yes, In what aspects it makes difference and how can I be sure to get red one (read that it is the new one )

^the green and red lens issue has been discussed earlier in a similar thread in the none too distant past. I would have answered again but its better if you search the forums as the explanation is a bit complicated.
Regards

i will be buying mi410 this week and after searching about in all forums i came to a conclusion its gonna b a steal and since its my first android i will do lots of trials n errors on it just to get a heck of it ....

regarding customer support i have some bad experience with samsung and also with nokia so its a secondary issue as far as i am concerned. Now a days you hardly go to vendors for any support (unless its hardware) as its all available online ...

I am just waiting to order it this week .....

if you are buying from saholic use SAHOLIC410 coupon to make the price 13k from 14k .....

talking of support i m not sure how good is motorola support in India considering it holds very minimum share in Indian market where is spice is doing good in india with its entry level phones so i assum it shud have a better support than motorola anyday.

@afzy - +1. I've seen many of ,y friends having a bad time with customer service of samsung and nokia. So, i guess, spice will be having atleast that kind of custimer service (sometimes good, sometimes bad).
@OP - the same spice mi-410 is branded as Motorola Triumph in US. If this is a bad design/product/quality phone, Motorola wouldn't have bothered about this. right? so that's the only logic behind suggesting spice mi-410.
But the thing i fear the most is "Psychology". It's in all of us.
-> If we buy a samsung phone and if suppose, for example, the earpiece didn't work / we aren't able to hear properly. we'll try to solve the problem by going to the service center.
-> If we buy a spice phone and if suppose, say, the earpiece didn't work. First we will feel bad about buying a spice phone and fear whether we had made a wrong decision by not buying a branded mobile. And then we will start to think of finding a solution for the problem.

The explanation is kinda big, but the matter is small. If you go for spice with this kind of mind setup, you'll regret for sure. So PLEASE don't go for it. Better go for DEFY. If you have money to spare - nexus s.

BTW, there are many people among us, who doesn't give a sh** about the brand name as long as the product is good and got positive reviews from many users. And if it has a great VFM, we are even ready to adjust with some short comings.

1) Ruggedness......(gorilla glass)...hope both have it.... nexus s doesn't have gorilla. go for SGS.
2) Android update.....not sure abt defy. but my guess is that both nexus s and sgs wil be getting the ICS through Cyanogenmod if not Officially...
3) Front camera....skype calling etc..... jus like u told.
4) Multimedia capabilities...both SGS and Nexus S have superb audio quality. and watching movie on a bigger screen is always better....
5) Screen quality..... Nexus S and SGS are both a step ahead from regular LCD display. Especially the blacks are too good in these mobiles... (SCLCD and SAMOLED)

@emmarbee
I think you have Mi410 ( I saw it in some post i think )

Please provide a short review, it wud be gr8, so many ppl suggesting mi410, it must be gud.
but it's just that it shud fit my purpose
As already mentioned, my main need is:
1) Some Ruggedness
2) Front camera
3) Good display quality (is it anywhere close to S-LCD or like Defy(read that defy also has v-gud display) )
4) Touch quality

Otherwise, I can settle for some cheap 5-6K phone for now and save money for some gud phone after 6-8 months ?????

Back