mobile phone @15K

Know it wud be silly ques. to ask, after reading so much of threads for the same.......:S

I was all towards Defy and could have even opted to buy it from local shop @15.2
but I got to see a piece with shopkeeper himself, and it did'nt appealed a bit.......
In Videos and pics it looks gud, but is it like that in real.....
May be it's looks are being backed up with some solid performance,

How does it compares in performance with nexus S or any other option in this range.....

Main features required

1) Ruggedness......(gorilla glass)...hope both have it....can so away with waterproofing, but spending 15K or more, it shud be bit durable.
2) Android update.....don'nt know upto where will defy go...also for samsung
but with better hardware, will nexus S go much beyond defy
3) Front camera....skype calling etc.....defy lacks it :(
4) Multimedia capabilities...from reviews it looks like defy is also good, but does it compares with nexus S
5) Screen quality.....Reviews suggest Defy has a lot better screen than other capacitive screens, but does it match anywhere around S-LCD.....S-AMOLED is out of ques in this range I guess :(

Any thoughts ??

Please suggest shud I buy Defy @15.2 or letsbuy (that silly jabra deal is a real dealbreaker)....actulally if it has to be defy than why wait for 3-4 days :hap2:

@ warewolf - i don't own spice mi - 410. i own the mighty SGS :)
1) Some Ruggedness - SGS. Full Ruggedness - Defy
2) Front camera - SGS
3) Good display quality (is it anywhere close to S-LCD or like Defy(read that defy also has v-gud display) ) - u don't know whether your display is good or not, until u compare urs with a better one.
4) Touch quality - all capacitive are same with very feeble difference.

Settle in for cheap phone, if you don't want to browse the web, share things on social networking, get lots n lots of apps that you will be overwhelmed with, buttery UI experience and lots of other smartphone stuff.
There'll always be a better phone 6-8 months later. But IMHO, the current period is the cheapest. Cause I've seen lot of mobile prices fall very steeply. And my guess is that, this price range will remain the same for few more months (that 6 month period). May be after that, 1-2k price drop will occur in under 20k mobiles and 3-4k drops in >24k mobiles

warewolf4586 said:
is Mi-410 screen a 262K color screen and not 16M ????
Yes Its a 262k screen , and yes it is not much different from 16m screens. its a very nice screen.

SE Xperia X10 also had a 65k/262k screen and that was also a very nice screen.

I sincerely wish spice should have priced this phone at 18k. Because We have a tendency to view anything priced cheaper, esp from an indian company and esp with a chinese OEM with disdain and doubt.

@OP It is a perfect phone for the price, unless you are an hardcore android fan. In the latter case you might be disappointed at the lack of good Roms/Mods as compared to other more widely released phones.

According to review from Igyann, the reviewer seems to be more than satisfied with screen display. Also some one mentioned in another thread that human eye cannot distinguish between 262k and 16m colors. But with 227.5 pixel per inch, the screen is more than satisfying.

@aka911: You are right, I have used Sony Xperia X10 and it only has 65k colors, but was really good screen. But I think spice does not have gorilla glass so that might be a problem as it is not scratch resistant.

This product should really make a splash against overpriced competitors like HTC/Sony. They really have a good model and hardware. Hopefully it becomes a hit in this market and also hope they can release dual cores in the future.

aradhakr84 said:
Since Huawei X6 is re branded in India as Spice, you will have to handle with Spice customer service. That is my question also. Being new to India, I am getting mixed reviews about Spice customer service. Some say it is good, while others say they have incompetent people in service center. But spice website shows decent amount of service center in India plus there are Spice hotspots.
Spice service centers are pathetic. One of my friends Spice mobile has gone dead after two month of usage and after that they have kept it for around 3 months in service center. I myself has gone three times with him in service center and everybody there was complaining about bad service. This is about Noida service center I don't know about others.

thanks for the info. I need to know more about mi-410. Cause I'm really admired by this phone.
Also in androidos.in review (by gaurav) i read that the touch sensitivity is not as good as other phones. (another point to be noted).
THought of sharing it with this community.
solanky said:
Spice service centers are pathetic. One of my friends Spice mobile has gone dead after two month of usage and after that they have kept it for around 3 months in service center. I myself has gone three times with him in service center and everybody there was complaining about bad service. This is about Noida service center I don't know about others.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@OP - The wait is over. You can now settle in for a cheap device(ONLY in price, not in features or anyother thing). Micromax A70 for 8K @flipkart. If you can wait for some more time, it might be released in LB too. Then you can buy it for 7K. :) cheers!

warewolf4586 said:
@emmarbee
I think you have Mi410 ( I saw it in some post i think )

Please provide a short review, it wud be gr8, so many ppl suggesting mi410, it must be gud.
but it's just that it shud fit my purpose
As already mentioned, my main need is:
1) Some Ruggedness
2) Front camera
3) Good display quality (is it anywhere close to S-LCD or like Defy(read that defy also has v-gud display) )
4) Touch quality

Otherwise, I can settle for some cheap 5-6K phone for now and save money for some gud phone after 6-8 months ?????

ok i have got my mi410 today and have started with it ..... sooo far there has been no issues but since i am new i think i need to learn a lot about the device .... i dont know y it restarts after every minute also i still dont know how to lock the screen as when i lock it with power button pressed once the screen is locked but also the phone is switched off , i dont know if there is some settings i have messed up with .... i shalll come with full review soon

yeah you better do afzy, before your inbox gets filled with different doubts and clarifications about that phone you own :)
BTW, i have one small clarification to be made, is the touch sensitivity of the device is really as poor as others say? (i mean, not so sensitive?)
afzy said:
ok i have got my mi410 today and have started with it ..... sooo far there has been no issues but since i am new i think i need to learn a lot about the device .... i dont know y it restarts after every minute also i still dont know how to lock the screen as when i lock it with power button pressed once the screen is locked but also the phone is switched off , i dont know if there is some settings i have messed up with .... i shalll come with full review soon

emmarbee said:
is the touch sensitivity of the device is really as poor as others say? (i mean, not so sensitive?)
No it isnt that bad but bcoz of the switching off issue i am a bit pissed off .... i dont know where i am wrong in settings if idle the phone goes otherwise works perfectly fine soo far .... can some1 help me with the switching off issue

got to see MI410 in person at spice shop

* Touch response is not that gud... (only touch phone i had used was Samsung wave II )

* the accelerometer was not gud, it took 3-4 secs break while shifting from portrait to landscape in messaging mode )

* Display was dull, with default wallpaper and settings, display was looking a bit washed out.

* it was not at all appealing, just the screen seems big, but, built didn't appeared good.

The cell there run Froyo 2.2.2, were some of these issues got resolved in gingerbread update ?

Any other faced same problems , or was it with particular set

even being a 1GHz snapdragon, accelerometer was pretty disappointing, which puts a question on performance of this device ?

Hmmm.... accelerometer problem is not a big one. In fact most of them would turn off that sensor and use it only when required ....

But display and touch sensitivity are the most important. Should check it out myself before judging ...

thanx emmarbee.....

When shud I expect to get some hands on review....

my old K810i is already dead

stand by old nokia 6300 is also dieing........

need to buy ASAP....everyday I think of buying defy or Mi410.

warewolf4586 said:

* Touch response is not that gud... (only touch phone i had used was Samsung wave II )

* the accelerometer was not gud, it took 3-4 secs break while shifting from portrait to landscape in messaging mode )

* Display was dull, with default wallpaper and settings, display was looking a bit washed out.

* it was not at all appealing, just the screen seems big, but, built didn't appeared good.

The cell there run Froyo 2.2.2, were some of these issues got resolved in gingerbread update ?

even being a 1GHz snapdragon, accelerometer was pretty disappointing, which puts a question on performance of this device ?

I think you should try out the defy and if you like it, buy it. There is no use buying a phone if you do not like it, and judging by your experience with the Mi-410, it does not seem to be the correct buy in this case.

Owners of the Mi-410 can confirm whether this is a problem with all handsets or, may be a piece-specific issue (But why would they keep a defective piece in a shop?)

So, a hands-on experience with the Defy should be the next immediate step. If you have a large shop like Croma nearby, or some other shops where you can get to play around with a Defy, head over there.

@werewolf - just like the above person said, you have to try using both defy and mi-410, side by side[if possible] and then decide for yourself. Trying mi-410 first and then defy after a long gap, won't do much good.
BTW, jus so you know, only if you are surrounded by people with everyone having a high-end android, you ll feel worried (regret) for what you've bought (if suppose, it's not upto par), else you wouldn't even know there exists a better mobile than yours and you'll be overwhelmed with what you've got.

Even if you buy a DEFY and start using, you'll feel like having the best mobile in your hands. There is so much you can do with your device that you'll even forget about the other mobiles, that you had considered while buying your mobile. So there is no chance of regret :)

Hope i expressed the message clearly what i wanted to tell you.

^^ Exactly.. After flashing MIUI, someone even asked me "Is that an iPhone?".. Of course he's a n00b to android, but still defy's worth those words.. After 3 months, still the phone looks brand new, no visible scratches in the body/screen, I should mention that I don't use a case or screen protector, not even a pouch.. DEFY indeed defies all.. :clap:

wolvish said:
After 3 months, still the phone looks brand new, no visible scratches in the body/screen, I should mention that I don't use a case or screen protector, not even a pouch.. DEFY indeed defies all.. :clap:

even after a year of use, my SGS has only the slightest of scratches and I don't use a case or scren protector too. Not even a pouch and i keep my mobile in the same pocket where I keep my house key (three keys). That too with glass turned towards the key SGS indeed defies Defy :tongue:

warewolf4586 said:

Touch Response - It may be a software issue also. If many applications are running in the background the touch response could be little slow and jerky

Accelerometer - This may need a little calibration to fine tune. Not a big deal.

Display - Even this may be because of the dull wallpaper or the oil and smudge on the phone. Did not read anywhere about the display being dull

Usually the default froyo of these companies are mostly crap. They are often slow and you wonder why you bought this. Once you mod then only you will realize it's full potential.

Between 410 and Defy it's your choice. If you want the most rugged phone now available then it is Defy. If you want the best hardware the Mi-410.

Cha! Forgot that part.

You win!

wolvish:1870581 said:
How about putting SGS in a glass of water then ?:bleh:

@werewolf, like sg3707 said, the touch IN sensitivity might be a software issue too, meaning, when the processor/ram is filled up, it becomes laggy not only for opening apps, but also for registering touch events. So you gotta touch everything twice. Now it's happening for me. Installed darky rom removing cyanogen, it feels too laggy, registering the touch events twice...

There is a way to find this out. Close all background apps. Try opening an app by doing a really light feathery touch. If it didn't respond, then touch is not good. If it responds even to that that very minute (close to not touched) touch event, then it is basically a software glitch.

Also most of the capacitive screens that I've used are too smooth that our fingers will glide through the screen. But for that to happen, both the screen and our fingers must be very clean (like in liquid soap clean) and dry. Even small bit of dirt or oil or moist could ruin the touch feel

Back