mobile phone @15K

Know it wud be silly ques. to ask, after reading so much of threads for the same.......:S

I was all towards Defy and could have even opted to buy it from local shop @15.2
but I got to see a piece with shopkeeper himself, and it did'nt appealed a bit.......
In Videos and pics it looks gud, but is it like that in real.....
May be it's looks are being backed up with some solid performance,

How does it compares in performance with nexus S or any other option in this range.....

Main features required

1) Ruggedness......(gorilla glass)...hope both have it....can so away with waterproofing, but spending 15K or more, it shud be bit durable.
2) Android update.....don'nt know upto where will defy go...also for samsung
but with better hardware, will nexus S go much beyond defy
3) Front camera....skype calling etc.....defy lacks it :(
4) Multimedia capabilities...from reviews it looks like defy is also good, but does it compares with nexus S
5) Screen quality.....Reviews suggest Defy has a lot better screen than other capacitive screens, but does it match anywhere around S-LCD.....S-AMOLED is out of ques in this range I guess :(

Any thoughts ??

Please suggest shud I buy Defy @15.2 or letsbuy (that silly jabra deal is a real dealbreaker)....actulally if it has to be defy than why wait for 3-4 days :hap2:

sg3707 said:
Touch Response - It may be a software issue also. If many applications are running in the background the touch response could be little slow and jerky

Accelerometer - This may need a little calibration to fine tune. Not a big deal.

Display - Even this may be because of the dull wallpaper or the oil and smudge on the phone. Did not read anywhere about the display being dull

Usually the default froyo of these companies are mostly crap. They are often slow and you wonder why you bought this. Once you mod then only you will realize it's full potential.

Between 410 and Defy it's your choice. If you want the most rugged phone now available then it is Defy. If you want the best hardware the Mi-410.

The mobile I got to use was from a sealed pack, opened in front of me....It had no app's running earlier and also no dust/oil/smudge

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

got an IPOD nano yesterday as a gift....

It's touch is awesome...apple rocks....:clap:

but for cellphone.....it will cost alot....:(

emmarbee said:
even after a year of use, my SGS has only the slightest of scratches and I don't use a case or scren protector too. Not even a pouch and i keep my mobile in the same pocket where I keep my house key (three keys). That too with glass turned towards the key SGS indeed defies Defy :tongue:
This is exactly what i would like to stress. Spice doesn't have Gorilla glass. Very easy to get scratches. With scratches, the big screen will look really ugly.

@warewolf
Quote from fonearena
One important tip, peel of the screen guard that it comes with. The screen is not a gorilla glass, so you might need to put a scratch guard of a better quality. But you must absolutely get rid of the factory applied one as it hampers the overall touch experience.
Did you do this? If not, go out there again, make the shopkeeper to turn someother side by asking him to look at something and peel of the screen guard while he is unaware. And then check the touch response :)

warewolf4586 said:
The mobile I got to use was from a sealed pack, opened in front of me....It had no app's running earlier and also no dust/oil/smudge

got an IPOD nano yesterday as a gift....
It's touch is awesome...apple rocks....:clap:

but for cellphone.....it will cost alot....:(

warewolf4586 said:
Just got my defy today :)

Thoughit is July 2011 Manufactured....it has a green lens.....what things to avoid ????

How to get details on camera module and know the limitations of camera on this set ?

head over to XDA forums and get the app called "Catlog". Follow the steps and you will get info on your camera module. That is important. I also got july 2011 manufactured Defy. It as green lens. But my module is Bayer and that is what is important. IF you have Bayer module, you can run the Leaked GB ROMS

Guys/ Android veterans,

With HTC Salsa with Sense 2.1 and GB onboard, now revised to 15.1k (further 1k off, without LB coupons) please suggest if this could be preferred over Defy. The price now makes very much sense.

Also there seems to be some confusion among the SOC of Salsa. GSMArena states "Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM 7227 chipset", however i found some folks stating 205 is not compatible rwith 7227. Do clarify.

This would be my first droid and i wont be doing much tinkering/modding with it.

Thanks in advance.

Abhishek.

I would not suggest picking HTC Salsa over Defy. Usually processor comes with compatible gpu's. Adrenos 205 is more powerful than Adrenos 200 hence it requires more powerful processor.

Adrenos 205 is found in - MSM 7230, MSM 8X55

Adrenos 200 is found in - QSD 8X50A, MSM 7x27

So it is not possible. Also for your main question, buying Defy is more recommended than buying Salsa. So go with Defy. Else there are other models that are more powerful than Defy but do not know if you prefer the branding - Spice Mi410 (1 ghz MSM 8255 with Adrenos 205) and Huawei X5 (800 Mhz MSM 7230 with Adrenos 205)

aradhakr84 said:
I would not suggest picking HTC Salsa over Defy. Usually processor comes with compatible gpu's. Adrenos 205 is more powerful than Adrenos 200 hence it requires more powerful processor.

Adrenos 205 is found in - MSM 7230, MSM 8X55

Adrenos 200 is found in - QSD 8X50A, MSM 7x27

So it is not possible. Also for your main question, buying Defy is more recommended than buying Salsa. So go with Defy. Else there are other models that are more powerful than Defy but do not know if you prefer the branding - Spice Mi410 (1 ghz MSM 8255 with Adrenos 205) and Huawei X5 (800 Mhz MSM 7230 with Adrenos 205)

Even gsmarena states MSM7227 and Adreno 205. I am also baffled since how this is possible! I will not recommend this phone until this confusion is resolved.

Qualcomm MSM7227 Specs | CPUlist | PDAdb.net - Smartphone, Tablet, Netbook, PDA, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications Database

Qualcomm MSM7230 Specs | CPUlist | PDAdb.net - Smartphone, Tablet, Netbook, PDA, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications Database

IINM the MSM7227 supports only ARM v6 instruction set and hence no flash support whereas the MSM7230 supports ARM v7 and hence it supports flash.

Back