Less than 10K Mobile phone for my Dad

Calvin

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 5 - 10 K (Lower the better)

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 4.5"-5.0"

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android/Windows

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G,

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Lot of calls, whatsapp

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, ability to change text size

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Samsung Z3, Lumia 535, Oppo Neo5,

He has been using Windows phone for the past 4 years, has no complaints about it except text size (and I just found out text size can be changed in Lumia). So I'm in a bit of dilemma whether to buy him a windows phone again or an Android. I'm considering Samsung Z3 too since I had good experience with Samsung Wave2's battery.

I got a Lumia 550 for my mom (her first smartphone) a couple of months ago and it's working well even with the "latest" OS update to 10586.494 - note it's NOT as buttery smooth UI as Windows Phone 7/8 but pretty darn good. Does not have dual SIM just a single nano SIM and though it advertises 4G has only few 4G bands supported.

Some basic apps like FB, WA, and Outlook email (she has hotmail account) and some browsing all work fine. Cost is now under 7k on amazon/flipkart.

I had gotten my aunt to buy a Nokia 635 few years ago with WP8 and she's loving it too.

On top of that, I ordered a Lumia 650 for myself off amazon for just under 14k :D should be reaching tomorrow... 650 has OLED display, much better 4G coverage/support and DUAL nano SIM, slightly better CPU and 16 GB storage compared to the 550's 8GB.

I'm going to use it mainly to run the insider preview builds of "Redstone 2" version of Win10 mobile :)[DOUBLEPOST=1470836995][/DOUBLEPOST]Ignore the iOS/Android fangirls on techenclave who will say Windows OS on mobile is dead :D There is the latest "Anniversary Update" version 1607 build 14393.x coming soon likely within this month which has some tweaks and improvements. Not to mention a couple more updates planned in 2017.

Last edited:
Even I have a Lumia 535 as my office phone, but I don't use it much as I didn't like it as much as my previous blackberry. My Dad is satisfied with Lumia too, but I was thinking if I should get him an android. Considering he is not that keen on learning new things, I'll stick with Lumia.

So I got my hands on the Lumia 650 earlier today (off amazon.in for just under 14k) and very impressed with it. If you can stretch your budget to 14k I would recommend getting this one.

It's got dual nano SIM and much better 4G bands coverage (even though you only mentioned 3G, you never know in the future you might want to move to 4G) and the UI is very smooth even on the current OS 1511 version. As you might already know the OS is going to be updated to version 1607 for mobile pretty soon now that the desktop update has come already - and this will bring many improvements and tweaks here and there.

Other plus points versus the 550 are the OLED display and that often-cited "premium" feel with the metal frame around it but this is may not be important. It's also very thin and light, more so compared to the 550.

The ONLY (and, well, major) drawback for the current Lumia range is the so-called "app gap" but for me (and I guess your dad too) it doesn't matter because I only use a few basic apps like WA/FB etc which are all there as I mentioned previously.

@Calvin let us know what phone you decide to get evenually...

I got a Redmi Note 3 for my dad a few months back and now he's hooked to Candy Crush.
Buy android and keep this option open :p

I'd suggest a Redmi 3S. It is a decent android phone with battery life above all. Check it out!

@vishalrao - what browser have you been using on your Win phone?! my phone is under a serious threat of breakage under rage due to the Edge browser! really disliking Win 10. any jugaad way to move back to Win 8.1?

I only use Edge but I don't do any major web browsing - I've only got the phone yesterday afternoon :D

The feedly (RSS) reader apps seem to be using internal browser component and that works fine. So does speedtest on fast.com...

Have yet to try browsing forums like TE over Edge.

Do move back to Win 8.1 you probably have to reset the device via the WDRT tool (Windows Device Recovery Tool) software I guess.

I see. thanks.
Edge on my phone keeps crashing on opening multiple tabs & never saves history (like its PC counterpart does in some cases, but the latter has a solution). I will read about this WDRT.

Go for Moto E 4G version.
lol you will not find a new piece anywhere.[DOUBLEPOST=1472333702][/DOUBLEPOST]
2 of my friends' Moto E developed issues with second SIM slot. So I'm little vary about going for a Moto.
I'm using a Moto E2. Has no SIM issue whatsoever. But it seems to have a display problem. The screen light sometimes try to "fade" away even when the phone is active but comes back. I want to RMA it don't want to risk waiting for weeks, that too with little or no improvement.

Back