Money or Peace of Mind ?

Given a choice between 'Money' and 'Peace of mind' what would you choose..

• Total voters

v.Na5h

Skilled
Given a choice between 'Money' and 'Peace of mind' what would you choose..

Eg. A) 2 lacs /month ie 20+ lacs/annum with 10hrs working for 5- 6 days a week ie 50+hrs/week and lot of stress as an added package till 35-40 yrs of age and early retirement

B) 6 hrs a day for 5 days ie 30 hrs absolutely peaceful with 5 lacs/annum till 55 yrs of age

Please vote above

I have a different take on this. In the initial time of your career, one has a lot of inclination to go with option A, whatever you want to consider, young blood or urge to earn so you can spend or whatever.
But a point comes in your career when you know that option A is not really worth and option B if available is preferred.

Both options are for people with different targets. One who follows path A will probably get a home, big car before the one who follows path B. You just have to know what you value more.

Eventually everyone considers option B as better or even a third option C - where one risks to go after what he actually wants i.e. becoming an artist. Even i am having a quarter life crisis now and weighing all options . I definitely want to move to a peaceful job to give more time to my hobbies as im realizing IT is a hellhole. One important thing i realized is - this money/fame thing ,i dont really desire it from my heart , its more like to avoid being tagged a "failure", i wanted to get rich fast. But i see the folly of this. I have seen many onsite people really miserable in their work lives and to compensate for all that, they upload pics of their new car/house/trips on Facebook on a regular basis to somehow prove to themselves/ others how awesome their life is. Ah the irony ;)

Thankfully, right from day 1 of my career, I have opted for the 2nd option - peace of mind, over money. Sometimes it does feel bad, when you see your peers doing well financially, but at the end of the day, I feel it is right to compromise on certain things, in return for happiness. In my mid 30s now, I do not own a house or a car and have never travelled abroad; less than 2 lacs as savings.. Still, I am happy. I will continue to be so. :)

Till age of 35 Option A, later on strictly Option B. Though given a choice I would pick up Option B right now too but then to pursue few dreams I want to a try to Option A till age 35. Always we won't be getting a perfect scenario, there ought to be some or other gripe :)

Many times I think of this when I face tremendous rush in Mumbai locals/buses etc and always wished to shift to Ahmedabad in later years of life.

I learned from my Dad. He built a gorgeous villa in his village in 91. He has always lived life to the fullest. He has definitely compromised for us but I have always seen him happy. Never has tried to save a lot of money. Instead he believes in spending on things he wants, key word being spending and not over-spending. Some of his peers have 3-4 houses in Chandigarh and despite being able, he never bought a house over here. He, and consequently I, believe in buying the best we can and not compromise when it comes to that, even if it means waiting for a bit.
He doesn't have huge savings or a big car or a house in the city to his name, but I know he is more than happy with what he has.

Option A. I will invest most of the money I save every month in bonds, equity etc. Plus its always better to earn more than inflation. In 10 -15 years with high inflation that 60 lacs pa won't look so great.
Plus if I loose my job I can always start a small business with the savings in food or some other item of daily requirements to earn money.

I choose money, but I will work towards it on my own terms. Make that 24hrs working time for 7 days a week. I'll take breaks whenever I wish to.

Both options are bare essential in our lives.
Initially option A seems tempting and attractive and it sounds lust than love.
But later as you grow you realize then may be you were wrong and start to look for option B.
But yes its really hard to shift to B once you start with a A....its like moving to Indian car once you taste a German!!

I'm in my 30s, unmarried and damn--sadly unemployed & I have less than 2 lacs saving. But still I enjoy my everyday in either ways by juggling in my hobbies, lazing around which I missed when I was working. Though I do have to find a job for sure not just for me but also for the love of my life. But then I'm looking for a general job where pay may be less but which makes sense and actually makes me realize that "Hey buddy, you definitely got some life now !!!" Damn IT, seriously sucks big time...makes us work like zombies @ night. gotta come out of it. Then I plan on some freelancing stuff. But for all this I do need some capital for sure to survive those bad days which are uncertain and yes a lot of free time for my selves to indulge.

My 8/10 friends are married and settled and enjoy good money + honey and I do feel bad for my selves comparing to them but I'm not jealous at all. As we all got our lives differently. Also I see some people who are married and both husband and wife churn more than 2 lacs/month but they hardly see each others faces and forget the other moments.... They cant even spend time together to enjoy that money, cant go for drives together even though they have their individual cars, cant even have dinner together coz of their damn shift timings and last but not least they are married for more than 5 yrs but cant even think about babies just cause of their damn jobs!!!

I know I can surely buy a descent 2nd hand car but only problem will be finding a home but lets see...its too far to think right now about it..as my first priority is getting a good job..:smiley:

Well ideally it could be both.If one had to choose money over peace of mind,it's tricky as well. Without enough money,it's not easy to have peace of mind,though it's possible. Peace of mind without money sounds good,because if the lack of money caused problems which couldn't be solved,there wouldn't be any peace of mind.

What I have seen is lot of money brings a certain life style which is difficult to change. This comes in the form of big house,big car,social status etc and rest of life is slaving to keep up the facade. Each to his own.

Back