Money or Peace of Mind ?

Given a choice between 'Money' and 'Peace of mind' what would you choose..

• Total voters
Peace of mind is a mental state. It is a state where you have no regrets and you are content with what you achieved.

However in today's world, money is in a way often an essential means to obtain what you need to get your peace of mind. i.e. unless your idea of peace of mind is to isolate yourself from human society and you are happy and content with living as a hermit in some forest. But still, technically even a serial killer whose only desire is to kill people can still obtain this state if he has no regrets about his deeds and he is content with what they achieved. In fact there are serial killers who have been said to have met their death on the rope with peace of mind than many other people.

Excessive desire and greed for money or anything else for that matter will lead to discontent and will destroy your peace of mind.

Putting reasonable checks on your desires and goals in life and learning when to be content with what you achieved is the key to happiness and to peace of mind. Lets say somebody has set himself a goal that he will earn 100 million. There is absolutely nothing wrong in desiring money itself even if money is just means to an end. But when he achieves that goal, is he content with how and what he achieved determines whether he will have his peace of mind. if he has a never ending desire or has regrets that he cannot let go off, he will never have this state.

Generally, over ambitious people don't obtain peace of mind regardless of what they have. As an example, if anybody saw the look on Steve Jobs face before his demise and you will almost be be able to see discontent written over his face. Maybe because of what he thought he could have achieved if he had more time to live. Even if he had 50 years more to live, he would probably have been just as discontent at the end of it because by his very nature he was an ambitious sort and he could never be content what he got or achieved.

As many have already stated over the thread - peace is defined by an individual. I for one was earning around 7 some 2 years ago. I was content for quite some time - 5 years when my salary barely moved or there was zero onsite. Then there was a phase - new team, new project and god the people I had to bear with. After struggling to find a job in my niche skill, I searched for a profile. Something I presumed would help me work with "good" people. Colleagues who don't play football with work and instead took responsibility. A manager who at least bare minimum listened when people spoke, not think his JD was to "assign" work to associates without taking in account people's feedback.

I somehow managed to change the profile and company, who projected them as "intelligent". Turned out colleagues are now at the extreme opposite end ie they take too much responsibility, handling stuff they shouldn't be putting their hands into. And even taking calls at 2-3am in the morning, even when I tell them to draw a line where our team responsibility ends.

Now my ctc is nearly 20, I work barely 32 hrs, but then I feel general "lack of peace" just because of the people I am dealing with on a day to day basis.

LOL'ing at this (attached).

It's always peace of mind.
Working in IT, traveled abroad, bought things that I wanted. Had never had extensive work pressure until now. Enjoying traveling while abroad.
At the end of the day, it's always peace of mind that I look for.

Attachments

• lol.JPG
    lol.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 346
money is means. peace is a state. need both. many factors to them (involved in between and beyond). experiences teach, impart wisdom to the discerning, dispassionate mind. tough (initially), but moderation is a key.

I vote for Money but not based on the OP. My POV is that peace of mind will never get you anything. At the end of the day we humans want a lot and peace of mind doesn't give you anything whereas money can get you something at least.

Moral is that...we humans will never happy with anything or everything.

I think life should be balance between professional and personal things else you have to drop one of it.
Option B plays a balancing act for a person due to which he/she can work as well as give time for family.

Voted for Peace...as its been my main focus from the start...be it avoiding study to be in peace or listening to music to be in peace. Though money is needed by everyone in this day and age..but achieving peace is also possible while earning money as someone said above its peace is a state of mind, you can surely achieve it while earning huge sums of money as well...though running after earning money and more money might not provide you peace that you might be looking for.

saw somewhere

"Money can bring happiness. If Money Doesn't Make You Happy Then You Probably Aren't Spending It Right "

I voted money as well but on my very own description. I get the money and make it multiplied in alot of ways through business (not just being an employee). As soon as i get enough... Peace of mind follows. Just my humble opinion.

Here's what I learned about peoples and they're sayings :

1. People Loves Money ---> They love to get what money buys --> Money controls people cause they think money buys almost everything --> "Peace Of Mind" or Cycle Continues
2. Money Bores ---> They have Authority/Power --> They loves to control people who have money --> "Peace Of Mind" or Cycle Continues
3. Money is two way street ---> Getting good Salary/Job (Which he loves) --> Marry whom he love and Take care of family ( Not to think himself but for others ) --> "Peace Of Mind" (He thinks money is not necessary for himself but using as tool for make someone happy as he capable of doing so)

My Honest Conclusion :- Eventually all peoples have peace of mind for span of time, In World people have diversities in their work or people, It may changes the thinking/Behaviour, so the real question is --> Who got more Peace of Mind ?

Last edited:
Such a beautiful thread being destroyed by the Nazis :banghead:...ignore kar!!!!

Anyway,would like to know from people who've made a lot of money -
-> how do you think about peace of mind now and what do you do to achieve it for yourself?
A short & sweet version about how you became the person who you are today would be really appreciated :)

----------added after someone made a sensible point --------------
Lots of money - more than what you need.
Would enable you to travel,go for adventurous activities,go for holidays,etc if you want to.
Range - 7 LPA or more ...so averaging 50000 PER MONTH or More.

Last edited:
Back