Budget 31-40k Motherboard and CPU combo advice required

zero_cool

Disciple
I am on the lookout to build an SFF pc. I am unable to reach a sound decision with my MB and CPU combo. These are the best options available to me and I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I am looking for most value for money build. I am leaning towards Intel only because I had to deal with bent CPU pins on an AM3 CPU when I was extracting it from the motherboard for a thermal paste job. I had since switched to Intel in 2011 and this issue never occurred again. I only need to purchase the RAM and CPU cooler apart from these, if that detail makes any difference.
  1. 2600 + B450 = Rs. 31,000
  2. 10400F + B460 = Rs. 32,000
  3. 10400 + B460 = Rs. 33,800
  4. 3600 + B550 = Rs. 35,000
  5. 10700 + B460 = Rs. 43,000 (personal preference)
  6. 5600x + B550 = Rs. 43,500
  7. 3700x + B550 = Rs. 49,500
  8. 5600x + X570 = Rs. 54,000
  9. 10700 + Z490 = Rs. 55,500
  10. 11500 + Z590 = Rs. 64,500

Last edited:
It depends on what do you want to do with the build. In case you go with Ryzen or a F series processor, you will have to shell out for a graphics card as well. On top of that, the GPU will have to fit the SFF chassis.

It depends on what do you want to do with the build. In case you go with Ryzen or a F series processor, you will have to shell out for a graphics card as well. On top of that, the GPU will have to fit the SFF chassis.
GPU is a compact one so its size won't pose an issue. I intend to game occasionally and only on older titles or indie games. So, I will never consider a power hungry or triple slot GPU. The CPU cooler on the other hand needs some evaluation.

If you are going to run old games, you do not need a core i7. If you already have a GPU and not going to stream, you may go with a F series processor

If you are going to run old games, you do not need a core i7. If you already have a GPU and not going to stream, you may go with a F series processor
Fair point. I just had future proofing in my mind but I think an 10400 should suffice (better to have that igpu). Also, I'll save money by going for 2666 RAM

Fair point. I just had future proofing in my mind but I think an 10400 should suffice (better to have that igpu)
iGPU are a must. Besides acting as a back up if the dGPU fails, you can also use it for other purposes like video encoding in handbrake or while streaming

How about buying a deskmini from Amazon , put a r5 3400g or newer ryzen apu in it , it's a pretty good cpu with igpu
I already have a case and a dedicated GPU set aside. The iGPU was mentioned as the choice was between F and Regular variant of the i5-10400

I already have a case and a dedicated GPU set aside. The iGPU was mentioned as the choice was between F and Regular variant of the i5-10400
Sff are generally once a time build , maybe go with 10400 , you can even consider 10100 , old games with daily task will be great on it too if u are planning to save some money

Sff are generally once a time build , maybe go with 10400 , you can even consider 10100 , old games with daily task will be great on it too if u are planning to save some money
After much deliberation and research, I have decided to consider Ryzen over Intel. The cost of building a PC in Ryzen is much cheaper and in the long term, I can hope to see a Ryzen ITX motherboard over an Intel one in case the current one turns faulty. The Ryzen 2600 at Rs. 16000 paired with a B450 motherboard will bring the cost of the combo to just Rs. 27,000 (which is less than the cost of the Intel 10700 or Ryzen 5600x). I would've loved to go with a Ryzen 3600 as it is more future proof thanks to compatibility with both B450 and B550 motherboards but at Rs. 21,000 it is overpriced for a 2 year old chip. The Ryzen 5600x is good chip but at Rs. 28,000, I feel, I am pushing my budget and also it is injustice to pair this chip with a cheap B550M motherboard which might limit its TDP.

I am seeking opinions on the Ryzen 2600 + B450 combo? I plan to use the savings towards extra RAM, CPU cooler and case fans.

Last edited:
Hey there, can you provide your requirements, what will you be using your PC for? How often do you plan to upgrade and given that is a mini itx build, have you zeroed in on a case?

you may get Ryzen 2600/3600 much lower price in offline market, try your near by local shop
I will check it out today and update here.

If I had a tight budget like yours I would go with R5 5600x + B450 mini ITX. You can find a good B450 mini ITXs now a days for good price.
Interesting combination. I did not consider this initially. From the price of the components I have with me, the difference in the cost of a B450 and B550 motherboard will be Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 3,000, at most. Keeping the cost aside, I have read that such a pairing would limit the performance of a 5000 series chip.

Hey there, can you provide your requirements, what will you be using your PC for? How often do you plan to upgrade and given that is a mini itx build, have you zeroed in on a case?
This will be my primary machine for work and a bit of occasional gaming (titles from 2018 or earlier and indie games). I am right now using a laptop (8265u, Radeon 530 and 16GB RAM) which works well for all basic tasks such as excel, web browsing and watching videos but even running CS: GO makes the fan spin like a jet taking off (this is after repasting and thorough cleaning). While I don't think my usage will change drastically with the desktop, I don't want to throw away some decent hardware. The desktop will have a longer lifespan and I will prefer working on something without the worry of thermal throttling. The reason for not going after a B550/X570/Z590 board is I don't think I will utilise all the features for which I would pay. I do understand the importance of future proofing as I am coming from a Intel 2500 which was a beast until the motherboard gave away. Lastly, I only plan to upgrade its RAM to 32 GB, 1 or 2 TB NVMe SSD and add a monitor. I do have a case, Corsair 250D, that fits my existing ATX PSU along with my graphic card and SATA SSD. Depending on the platform, I will need to pick a cooler as well.

Last edited:
From your current requirements, the 5600x + Asrock B550M Itx (https://mdcomputers.in/asrock-b550m-itx-ac.html) should suffice, but if you have the budget, I would recommend a 5800x, you would be set fort the next 5years at least. For that case you will have to go with a 240mm cooler. The alternative would be a 10700 + b460, given your upgrade cycle, I doubt the platform cost matter, in any way next year, the cycle will change with DDR5 and Intel's alder lake. I think you should look at this as a 1 time investment.

If u are going for ryzen build u must have upgradablity in mind , I wud consider buying b550 over b450. They reason being that it 'maybe' able to support more future generation of cpu . Although can't be sure . Ryzen was already planning to not support 5xxx series with b450 due to bios memory constraints

From your current requirements, the 5600x + Asrock B550M Itx (https://mdcomputers.in/asrock-b550m-itx-ac.html) should suffice, but if you have the budget, I would recommend a 5800x, you would be set fort the next 5years at least. For that case you will have to go with a 240mm cooler. The alternative would be a 10700 + b460, given your upgrade cycle, I doubt the platform cost matter, in any way next year, the cycle will change with DDR5 and Intel's alder lake. I think you should look at this as a 1 time investment.
Good point about this as a one time investment. Does make a lot of sense. If long term or one-time investment is the thought, then Ryzen is way to go. I am getting a a 3700x for Rs. 24,000 so pairing that with a B550 will bring the actual cost to Rs. 38,000, which is consideration worthy.

If u are going for ryzen build u must have upgradablity in mind , I wud consider buying b550 over b450. They reason being that it 'maybe' able to support more future generation of cpu . Although can't be sure . Ryzen was already planning to not support 5xxx series with b450 due to bios memory constraints
Yes, I did read up on it. This will be the last hardware of this generation.

Last edited:
Back