Budget 41-50k Motherboard suggestion for i3 12100f and rtx 3060 / ti

uzerdelhi

Disciple
I'm looking to build a budget pc with i3 12100F, 16gb ram and either a rtx 3060 or 3060 ti ( or 4060 or amd alternative if it's a better bang for buck )

I need motherboard suggestion for the build as most motherboards for it seem to cost as much or more as the cpu itself so looking for something that will be good enough for the above configuration

Also im gonna be buying a psu also so also looking for suggestions for it too

I'm looking to build a budget pc with i3 12100F, 16gb ram and either a rtx 3060 or 3060 ti ( or 4060 or amd alternative if it's a better bang for buck )

I need motherboard suggestion for the build as most motherboards for it seem to cost as much or more as the cpu itself so looking for something that will be good enough for the above configuration

Also im gonna be buying a psu also so also looking for suggestions for it too
There is no cheap motherboard for the 12th and 13th gen Intel counterparts. I had the 12400f and Asus h610 combo, had to sell it off due to the crappy motherboard. The H610 motherboard had really crappy audio and was power limiting the CPU. SO STAY AWAY FROM ASUS H610 board. Decent motherboard for this generation will cost north of 10k.

My suggestion would be either the Gigabyte B760M gaming AC DDR4 (wifi) or the MSI PRO B660M-P DDR4. Both sell around 11k. But you have to make compromise somewhere or the other. For eg the Gigabyte board has 2 nos m.2 slot but only 2 RAM slot. For the MSI board it has 4 RAM slot but only one m.2 slot and no ARGB header.

But if budget is not a constraint then the MSI MAG B660 / 760 TOMAHAWK are very well balanced motherboard. Especially the B660 was my chosen board for some time. It has better audio than the B760. Both are around 20-21k mark.

There is no cheap motherboard for the 12th and 13th gen Intel counterparts. I had the 12400f and Asus h610 combo, had to sell it off due to the crappy motherboard. The H610 motherboard had really crappy audio and was power limiting the CPU. SO STAY AWAY FROM ASUS H610 board. Decent motherboard for this generation will cost north of 10k.

My suggestion would be either the Gigabyte B760M gaming AC DDR4 (wifi) or the MSI PRO B660M-P DDR4. Both sell around 11k. But you have to make compromise somewhere or the other. For eg the Gigabyte board has 2 nos m.2 slot but only 2 RAM slot. For the MSI board it has 4 RAM slot but only one m.2 slot and no ARGB header.

But if budget is not a constraint then the MSI MAG B660 / 760 TOMAHAWK are very well balanced motherboard. Especially the B660 was my chosen board for some time. It has better audio than the B760. Both are around 20-21k mark.
What about gigabyte h610m h? Is that any better?

I just don't feel comfortable spending more on motherboard than on the cpu..

Do you have any other suggestions for cpu+mobo under 20k?

I had the 12400f and Asus h610 combo, had to sell it off due to the crappy motherboard. The H610 motherboard had really crappy audio and was power limiting the CPU. SO STAY AWAY FROM ASUS H610 board.
Its an entry level mobo so its not an unusual thing. Good mobos costs 12k+

What's your budget? Usage? Target resolution for gaming? Expectations?

Get H610 or B660 only - Asus H610M E is decent at 7k, Gigabyte B660M DS3H is sometimes near 10k. Both are enough for i3 12100F. Remember that 12100F lacks iGPU & won't run w/o dGPU.

Maybe just fill out the questionnaire: https://techenclave.com/threads/tem...-i-buy-use-this-when-asking-for-advice.73107/
So i am looking to get cpu+Mobo+16gb ram for 20k, then 10k for case and psu and 30k for a GPU.

I'm looking to game at 1080p and i want it to last till ps6 comes out.. i know it's hard to predict the future and i wouldn't mind lowering quality after a few years.. i have been using GTX 960 till now ever since ps4 came out and i have to lower the quality/res but every single game is playable

As for Mobo my 2 options seem to be the Asus one and the gigabyte h610m h, (Asus one has 1 more m.2 slot than gigabyte one). But the review the guy above you posted is making me reconsider the Asus one.. maybe it's just his unit that was defective?

So i am looking to get cpu+Mobo+16gb ram for 20k, then 10k for case and psu and 30k for a GPU.

I'm looking to game at 1080p and i want it to last till ps6 comes out.. i know it's hard to predict the future and i wouldn't mind lowering quality after a few years.. i have been using GTX 960 till now ever since ps4 came out and i have to lower the quality/res but every single game is playable

As for Mobo my 2 options seem to be the Asus one and the gigabyte h610m h, (Asus one has 1 more m.2 slot than gigabyte one). But the review the guy above you posted is making me reconsider the Asus one.. maybe it's just his unit that was defective?
3060 comes in 20k if you are fine for a used gpu.
In fact all used stuff and you save considerably..

3060 comes in 20k if you are fine for a used gpu.
In fact all used stuff and you save considerably..
It's hard to find good deals for used stuff, people are listing things they bought years ago for like 80% what they paid so at that point i may aswell add a little extra and buy them new and even get a better bang for buck with newer generation products

GPU seem to be going a lot cheaper than that tho so I'm considering a 2nd hand GPU too

Actually i had the ASUS h610 motherboard. I will NOT recommend it at all. It's really worth spending the little extra on a better motherboard.

And no it was not a defective unit. The motherboard VRM won't be able to supply enough power for even a 12400f so that it can go to the max speed. It will be power limited before that. And let's not get into the crappy audio that the Mobo has. If you are thinking for a long term then i highly suggest you to get a better Mobo that will last you long time.
What about gigabyte h610m h? Is that any better?

I just don't feel comfortable spending more on motherboard than on the cpu..

Do you have any other suggestions for cpu+mobo under 20k?
Get a 12400f (usually available on FK for 10.7k after bank discount) and the Gigabyte board b760 board. It will be slightly above 20k mark. But much better.

Actually i had the ASUS h610 motherboard. I will NOT recommend it at all. It's really worth spending the little extra on a better motherboard.

And no it was not a defective unit. The motherboard VRM won't be able to supply enough power for even a 12400f so that it can go to the max speed. It will be power limited before that. And let's not get into the crappy audio that the Mobo has. If you are thinking for a long term then i highly suggest you to get a better Mobo that will last you long time.

Get a 12400f (usually available on FK for 10.7k after bank discount) and the Gigabyte board b760 board. It will be slightly above 20k mark. But much better.
That 20k was including 16gb ram aswell, if i am to get a 12400f it will raise the total cost to 25-30k (as of current prices) which is over my budget as of now and I would have to wait till next month to be able to get it..

Maybe I should try exploring used options as well or older generation products if they offer a better bang for the buck?

I hope you already have a SSD & HDD for storage.

This R5 5600 + B550 mobo (with 4 RAM slots, 2 M.2 slots & WiFi) + RX 6650XT will cost under 70k (Add cooler later if you want):
https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/9c0240d2-277c-42cb-a934-27f6215e364c

IMO R5 5600 + 6650 is a good combo for 1080p gaming, and will be able to compete with PS5 in terms of raw performance.

Check amazon for good deals on RAM, SSD & cabinet.

Cheaper rig if the budget is strictly 60k:
https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/f428fd1b-55ea-4f5d-b8a9-a7521e94c251

70k rig gets you convenience in terms of future upgradeability, extra RAM & even will be able to upgrade the CPU, also WiFi + BT (better quality than those dongle ones). I personally use i5 12400 + Gigabyte B660M DS3H, the mobo VRM is enough to handle i5 12400, not more. IMO i3 12100 + H610 will be fine as i3 has a 65W power draw w/o limits, if I remember correctly, vs 80W on i5 12400. So the latter will surely push the mobo VRMs more. That B550M mobo can even handle R7 5800X3D as it has good VRMs.

I hope you already have a SSD & HDD for storage.

This R5 5600 + B550 mobo (with 4 RAM slots, 2 M.2 slots & WiFi) + RX 6650XT will cost under 70k (Add cooler later if you want):
https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/9c0240d2-277c-42cb-a934-27f6215e364c

IMO R5 5600 + 6650 is a good combo for 1080p gaming, and will be able to compete with PS5 in terms of raw performance.

Check amazon for good deals on RAM, SSD & cabinet.

Cheaper rig if the budget is strictly 60k:
https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/f428fd1b-55ea-4f5d-b8a9-a7521e94c251

70k rig gets you convenience in terms of future upgradeability, extra RAM & even will be able to upgrade the CPU, also WiFi + BT (better quality than those dongle ones). I personally use i5 12400 + Gigabyte B660M DS3H, the mobo VRM is enough to handle i5 12400, not more. IMO i3 12100 + H610 will be fine as i3 has a 65W power draw w/o limits, if I remember correctly, vs 80W on i5 12400. So the latter will surely push the mobo VRMs more. That B550M mobo can even handle R7 5800X3D as it has good VRMs.
My budget is around 20k for cpu+mobo+ram and i was planning to get the other components like gpu, better psu, better sad, cabinet etc slowly over the next few months.

I have a very old computer with i3 2120, GTX 960 and DDR3 ram. My motherboard stopped working and couldn't get it repaired so i was planning to get a new cpu mobo ram combo and continue using older components and slowly upgrade them.

Now i can either get i3 12100f and h610 now or buy the old motherboard for like 2.5-3k and use it for a month or two while saving up money for i5 12400f and b660m. Oor i can try to find a used combo under 20k now but I'm having no luck finding here right now

My budget is around 20k for cpu+mobo+ram and i was planning to get the other components like gpu, better psu, better sad, cabinet etc slowly over the next few months.

I have a very old computer with i3 2120, GTX 960 and DDR3 ram. My motherboard stopped working and couldn't get it repaired so i was planning to get a new cpu mobo ram combo and continue using older components and slowly upgrade them.

Now i can either get i3 12100f and h610 now or buy the old motherboard for like 2.5-3k and use it for a month or two while saving up money for i5 12400f and b660m. Oor i can try to find a used combo under 20k now but I'm having no luck finding here right now
12100F is fine, you're getting good performance for what you pay for. You don't have to worry about motherboards either, a H610 can handle gaming on the 12100F all day long (even when paired with the 12400, since gaming requires much lesser power consumption when compared to it on load).
Get a 6600, crank up the graphics settings, and the 12100 will deliver 5600 like performance.

i3 12100F - 9k
RX 6600-21k
H610 mobo-7k
1x 16GB DDR4 3200 C16 - 4.2K (Add another 16gb later)
Crucial P3 500 GB SSD-3.2K
Ant Esports 1000 PS Cabinet -2.4k
XPG Pylon 650w PSU-4.1K
Or if you want to run a 12400F with a H610, that will work as well. But, you'll need to take a few precautions-
1. Lock the chip 65w. H610 VRMs will be able to handle anything below 65w.
2. Jury rig an 80mm fan to your cabinet such that is blows air directly onto your VRMs. It might sound daunting but all you need are some ropes and it will stay.
3. Optional, but you can add a heatsink as well. Raspberry Pi heatsinks should cost only 40 rs at a hardware store. Stick it onto your MOSFETS. I did this to my friend's computer, but not sure how much of impact it made for him

If you can only spend 20k now, i3 + H610 is your option. Later on, add GPU based on market condition, along with new cabinet & PSU as mentioned in my 2nd config link.

Remember that i3 12100F lacks iGPU, so won't run w/o dGPU. If your GTX 960 fails, you will need a dGPU to make the PC run. The i3 12100 will cost 2-3k more, has iGPU. Ryzen 5000 lacks iGPU as well, those G CPUs aren't worth buying IMO.

If you can only spend 20k now, i3 + H610 is your option. Later on, add GPU based on market condition, along with new cabinet & PSU as mentioned in my 2nd config link.

Remember that i3 12100F lacks iGPU, so won't run w/o dGPU. If your GTX 960 fails, you will need a dGPU to make the PC run. The i3 12100 will cost 2-3k more, has iGPU. Ryzen 5000 lacks iGPU as well, those G CPUs aren't worth buying IMO.
12100F is fine, you're getting good performance for what you pay for. You don't have to worry about motherboards either, a H610 can handle gaming on the 12100F all day long (even when paired with the 12400, since gaming requires much lesser power consumption when compared to it on load).
Get a 6600, crank up the graphics settings, and the 12100 will deliver 5600 like performance.

i3 12100F - 9k
RX 6600-21k
H610 mobo-7k
1x 16GB DDR4 3200 C16 - 4.2K (Add another 16gb later)
Crucial P3 500 GB SSD-3.2K
Ant Esports 1000 PS Cabinet -2.4k
XPG Pylon 650w PSU-4.1K
Or if you want to run a 12400F with a H610, that will work as well. But, you'll need to take a few precautions-
1. Lock the chip 65w. H610 VRMs will be able to handle anything below 65w.
2. Jury rig an 80mm fan to your cabinet such that is blows air directly onto your VRMs. It might sound daunting but all you need are some ropes and it will stay.
3. Optional, but you can add a heatsink as well. Raspberry Pi heatsinks should cost only 40 rs at a hardware store. Stick it onto your MOSFETS. I did this to my friend's computer, but not sure how much of impact it made for him

Would Gigabyte H610M h be a better choice than ASUS H610M E? It has 1 less m.2 slot so maybe it's using that price somewhere else?
I have no idea how to check how much power it can provide

12100F has a base power consumption of 58W and if the asus mobo can only provide 65w then it's probably a bad idea to get it as i will be using it for other tasks aswell that would be more CPU intensive

Would Gigabyte H610M h be a better choice than ASUS H610M E? It has 1 less m.2 slot so maybe it's using that price somewhere else?

12100F has a base power consumption of 58W and if the asus mobo can only provide 65w then it's probably a bad idea to get it as i will be using it for other tasks aswell that would be more CPU intensive
12100F will only use 58w when your running all cores at full load. What other tasks will you be using it for? A h610 will still be able to manage it though. A H610 can actually handle upto 120w before throttling, but you'll need good airflow to the VRMs and low ambient Temps for that.
The price difference between the Gigabyte and the Asus motherboard is 200rs , so I'd say that the Asus mobo is a better choice for that extra M.2 slot.
Power delivery wise, both seem alright.

12100F will only use 58w when your running all cores at full load. What other tasks will you be using it for? A h610 will still be able to manage it though. A H610 can actually handle upto 120w before throttling, but you'll need good airflow to the VRMs and low ambient Temps for that.
The price difference between the Gigabyte and the Asus motherboard is 200rs , so I'd say that the Asus mobo is a better choice for that extra M.2 slot.
Power delivery wise, both seem alright.
What about other components like fan ram storage etc? How much power do they use?

I use photoshop and other Adobe apps often, i also want to run emulator on it, Android for development purposes and linux/windows for other purposes.

The 12100f seems ok for my needs.. Basically i just don't want it to throttle or become unstable no matter what i throw at it and no matter what other components are connected to the board

Last edited:

For a cheap mobo, I will get as many features as I can & dual M.2 is worth having for me. I doubt Gigabyte has a much better VRM.

With some DIY spirit, maybe add like Ras Pi4 heatsink blocks with a thermal pad over the VRMs as suggested earlier. You can check VRM temps using Hwinfo.

Check some review of i3 12100, Gamers Nexus preferably. I think it doesn't consume more than 65W even if you allow it, unlike i5 12400 which goes upto 80W on full load w/o limits. The latter has 2 extra cores that need more power.

Do compare specs of both the boards to compare other features like available USB ports, fan headers, etc to see if Gigabyte might have some other advantage over Asus H610M E D4.

For a cheap mobo, I will get as many features as I can & dual M.2 is worth having for me. I doubt Gigabyte has a much better VRM.

With some DIY spirit, maybe add like Ras Pi4 heatsink blocks with a thermal pad over the VRMs as suggested earlier. You can check VRM temps using Hwinfo.

Check some review of i3 12100, Gamers Nexus preferably. I think it doesn't consume more than 65W even if you allow it, unlike i5 12400 which goes upto 80W on full load w/o limits. The latter has 2 extra cores that need more power.

Do compare specs of both the boards to compare other features like available USB ports, fan headers, etc to see if Gigabyte might have some other advantage over Asus H610M E D4.
Do other parts connected to the motherboard like ram, fans, storage etc use enough power that they would affect the power provided to the cpu causing it to throttle?

What about other components like fan ram storage etc? How much power do they use?

I use photoshop and other Adobe apps often, i also want to run emulator on it, Android for development purposes and linux/windows for other purposes.

The 12100f seems ok for my needs.. Basically i just don't want it to throttle or become unstable no matter what i throw at it and no matter what other components are connected to the board
Don't worry mate, your H610 will remain cool and stable despite whatever you throw at your 12100F. All H610s basically share the same feature set, so you can consider both the motherboards. A possibility with the extra M.2 slot is that some of your PCIe lanes on the GPU slot can get cut, but it's probably linked to the chipset, so you'll be fine.
Also, there are no utility software that display VRM Temps. Only med to high end motherboards have these sensors.
Only your GPU and CPU consume the most power in your build. Rest are negligible.
Also, what PSU and case do you have now? There's a possibility that you don't need to upgrade those.

Last edited:
Back