Budget 15-20K Moto G or S4 mini?

aadi007

Disciple
Hi All,

I have narrowed down my mobile phone search to Moto G and S4 mini.

My requirements are -

1> Screen size not more than 4.5 inch
2> Good processing power at least 1 GB RAM, should be good with multi taksing.
3> At least 8 GB on board memory
4> Good call quality
5> Good music quality

I don't play games.

Now, between the 2, both have good screens with Moto G having slightly better one.
Moto G has 1 GB ram while S4 mini has 1.5 GB
Moto G has quad core Cortex A-9 at 1.2 Ghx while S4 mini has dual core 1.7Ghz Krait cores. As per Benchmarks, S4 mini seems to better in most aspects.
S4 mini has better camera.
Moto G has 16 GB storage vs 8 GB of S4 mini but S4 mini has expandable memory.
The big advantage of S4 mini is that it is much smaller and sleeker than Moto G though having almost the same screen size. Moto G though has a 4.5" screen but the home buttons are part of the screen. So, the usable screen is almost the same as S4 mini.

At the same time, Moto G has Kitkat and 'll probably get more updates and custom ROMs whereas S4 mini might not get Kitkat update. So, considering this, Moto G makes more sense.

What do you guys think?
Anything else within 17-18K which satisfies my requirements?

@OP :
The moto G has dual cortex A-7 cores and not A9 cores.

Secondly, the 1.5Gb ram in S4 mini is utilized by the touchwiz, so the effective usable Ram in both the devices must be equal.

Camera on the mini must be much better than the moto. (I see you havent considered the camera part)

The mini might be much smaller and lighter, but the moto G is very very comfortable to hold in the hands. ( I own one).

Depends on your usage...
If camera is a primary concern go for samsung
If web browsing is the main use then Moto G
Do note that if you are planning to keep the handset for long term use, Samsung has better service centres

Actually, the S4 mini has an AMOLED vs LCD in the G. X has AMOLED. I would suggest the mini if you dont mind the extra cost+you need expandable storage.

The only thing I hate about the mini is the home button. Else, having used it (three colleagues of mine have the phone), its great.

Go for Moto G if you have to buy Android only. For above all it has bit of exclusivity. Consider Moto E as well. I have used both, hardly any difference in real world usage. E is half price.[DOUBLEPOST=1401564212][/DOUBLEPOST]
For all those who are vacillating between Moto G and S4 mini, here are 5 reasons to buy S4 mini
Stop reading advertised articles man, chroma will always try to push Samsung 'coz they simply don't have the Motos.

Depends on your usage...
If camera is a primary concern go for samsung
If web browsing is the main use then Moto G
Do note that if you are planning to keep the handset for long term use, Samsung has better service centres

Why is Moto G better for browsing. Camera is not very important.
But yes, Service centers are important.

Apart from the camera, other thing that's stopping me from buying Moto G is the RAM being limited to 1 GB.
I intend to keep the phone for another 2-3 years. So, that might be a problem.
The S4 mini has 1.5 GB RAM but as you guys are saying that lot of Samsung bloatware..may be a custom ROM will solve the problem.

I hear that S5 mini will be released shortly. I guess I'll wait for that.
The Moto X is ideal for me but it exceeds my budget. I hope there is a price cut in the near future.

So, I will keep the purchase on hold for a couple of months to see how things shape up.
I will have to continue with my Xperia U in the meantime...the 512 MB of RAM is making my life hell.

Unless you really care about the camera (which doesn't matter as much as you think, see below) or expandable storage, don't bother with Samsung. They only make overpriced garbage in my opinion. They always have enticing specs on paper but real world performance is lackluster. Check this out

Not convinced? Try this.

It's mind boggling how they get away with trash software. On the other hand, all of the Motorolas (X, G, E) are great phones at their price points. Choose one according to your needs. If you're worried about camera performance, more often than not, it depends on the person behind the camera, not specs. Take a look at what my friend shot with his Moto G.

http://imgur.com/a/kdexT#0

I was in your situation but I also wanted a phone with excellent support at XDA (for custom ROMS and latest androids). I went with Galaxy S3. I could have gone with S4 Mini too but I wanted a slightly larger phone since I browse a lot on the phone too.
Now I have an S3 running the latest Android (4.4.4, Liquid Smooth) and Zero bloatware. I have created swap on my Class 10 memory card to counter the low RAM issue.

Back