Moto G4 Launch on 17th May, to be Amazon India Exclusive

http://1.static.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TS520x0~articles/4947278437/screen.png

That might be the edge the g plus needs over its other rivals. lack of ois means slowest it goes is 1/5 which is not bad.

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 still remains the uncontested king of the low/mid end, with the Snapdragon 650 SoC, 3GB RAM and all the rest of the features at Rs. 11,999 ($180) with the only real drawback being its difficulty to purchase. The Lenovo Vibe K4 Note also offers similar specs with the MediaTek MT6753 with 8x Cortex-A53 at Rs. 11,999 ($180). Then there are other offerings from Micromax and LeEco, which offer different sets of features at lesser prices than these. So there really is not much that the base Moto G4 offers that makes it an impulse buy. The Moto G4 Plus is better, but not convincing enough.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the moto x play at 16.5 k, now moto g plus 3gb is at 14.5k. Redmi has better cpu but is the cam better? Also does the new g4plua hav the ipv protection ? Worth buying when cam, reliability, no bugs needed ? Hate the giant size though. Worth upgrading from my galaxy s3 for 2 years ?

Man, Lenovo turned some great designer phones into ugly ones.
On the other hand, it seems all Flipkart exclusives have moved to Amazon.

a Lenovo press roundtable that was almost entirely dedicated to explaining the peculiar way the Chinese company was killing off the Motorola brand. We are still here, said Rick Osterloh, chief of the former Motorola, but we're now a division under the Lenovo umbrella, so we're adopting the parent company's name. I gave Lenovo the benefit of the doubt then, in spite of the company having nothing to announce at a time when the whole Android world was moving forward with leaps and bounds.
Well, today Rick is no longer with either the nonexistent Motorola or Lenovo, having returned to Google, we've got a set of unsatisfying new Moto G models to talk about, and I'm unparking my keyboard. It's time to admit that Lenovo's Motorola takeover is mirroring HP's disastrous acquisition of Palm.
link
And so it begins...

Purchased the G4 plus today. With a good camera in the offering, being available when I want to buy it and continuous updates to OS were reasons good enough for me. Might get rs. 1000 voucher from Amazon for ebooks which made the deal better.

Lenovo has messed up the simple Moto series E: budget, G: in-between, X: premium.

Now, as with the other companies, we have to go through the specs each time. Too bad.

Exactly! That E, G and X was perfect at $100, $200 and $300+ respectively. Offering two RAM variants is also silly IMO.

Lenovo has messed up the simple Moto series E: budget, G: in-between, X: premium.

Now, as with the other companies, we have to go through the specs each time. Too bad.
New management, osterloh moved to Google. American commentary isn't going to be positive.

Did the moto e really offer much. It was always the G that was the recommend. Why ? cant get a proper android for under 10k. Still true today,

Everybody that buys in this segment is a spec head anyway.

Did the moto e really offer much.
yes. clean ui. stock android. no (un-removable) pre-loaded bloatware. good battery life. comfortable grip in compact size. just to mention a few. only the lenovo a6000 and redmi 2 prime gave it a serious competition.
It was always the G that was the recommend. Why ? cant get a proper android for under 10k. Still true today.
well that is not wrong. the latter is mostly likely because the phones are not well optimized.
Everybody that buys in this segment is a spec head anyway.
Not everybody. The above-average users know better than to judge on the specifications.[DOUBLEPOST=1463852136][/DOUBLEPOST]
Exactly! That E, G and X was perfect at $100, $200 and $300+ respectively. Offering two RAM variants is also silly IMO.
same thoughts here. way too many sub-models. I don't like the road Moto-Lenovo is heading.

It actually feels great that more and more Android phones are becoming user friendly (read lag free).
Pricing has also nearly halved in the last 2-3 years. OnePlus and Xiaomi were the first ones to drive the prices down and now with devices like Redmi Note 3, Zuk Z1 and the G4 Plus, one can get a near-flagship experience for under 15k.
I wonder how long can Samsung and others continue to charge a premium for their devices.
Ever since my foray into using smartphones (I started with Galaxy S2), I had found hard to hang on to one device for long because of the state of incremental upgrades both for hardware and software that plagued Android. I kept the Note 2 for nearly six months and that was the longest I kept one phone until the OPO. I have now had the OPO for nearly 1.5 years and it still performs spectacularly.
The best thing is that I can sell it for 9-10k, add 2-3k and get a device with better camera, better battery, a fingerprint sensor that works and similar lag free experience. Finally, the depreciation on Android phones is not that big a factor anymore.

Finally got the phone today, Initial impressions are good, following are the observations, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
  • Charging - It was already 80% charged , took 20 mins approx to reach 100% when put on charging (which is good) however there is no led light to indicate if battery is charged or not.
  • Updates - Got an software update of approx 157mb straight away indicating improvements in camera and system patches.
  • Camera - It still has the company applied temporary film on screen so couldn't take too many pics but indoor shots were very good. Will try to source a scratch guard tonight and update.
  • Size - Phone size is smaller than my current redmi note 4g so no difficulties in handling it for me.
  • Others - Did not heat up much in the limited time frame I have used it.

G4 Plus 3/32 black in stock now. But lot of complaints already of heating problem (when using camera, 3G). More than 400 reviews already on Amazon.

G4 Plus 3/32 black in stock now. But lot of complaints already of heating problem (when using camera, 3G). More than 400 reviews already on Amazon.
to be fair though many of the negative reviews for phones in general are about complaints regarding heating problem. Not trying to defend the Moto G4 (I don't even like it) or that its an isolated incident but many of the so-called "budget" phones have heating and battery issues. Even a bunch of the high end ones sometimes have these issues. I'm more interested in knowing how the companies tackle all these and what they are doing in this regard.

Battery and Temperature :- My phone is mostly connected to the internet through wifi at home and 4G outside. I mostly use my phone for Browsing, Reading eBooks and playing music simultaneously, calling or attending on an average 4-5 phone calls lasting 5-10 mins each, watching scores on cricinfo while returning from work, few photos in a week. I mostly do not play games or watch movies on my phone (Even my ipad gets hot after a game of space marshal or asphalt 8)

With the above stated usage I did not feel the phone getting hot, I even installed cpu-z to check and its in the range of 36 - 40 degree Celsius (which i feel is ok). I had completely charged the phone today at 9 am and now at 12:30 am its at 70% with the above usage. Overall I am happy with the battery life and temperature.

Would love to post screenshots if there is some easy way to do that.Thanks for reading, if you want any further details or questions please feel free to ask.

Back