Motorola Defy - Is the Android version a big deal?

Memento

Disciple
After a LONG time I'm upgrading my phone. Looking for a solid android phone.

Decent quality cam, music/sound quality, web experience, email/messaging,fb, smooth interface, games etc are important.

Browsing through severals topics it seems that the Optimus 1 and Moto Defy are one of the most popular choices in their respective price categories. The samsung galaxy sl is a little too expensive for me. I was trying to keep my budget within 15k.

With the discount code on letsbuy, the defy comes to 15.2k and the optimus to 8.5k

The defy has a 5mp cam with flash and seems pretty rugged. I don't know if the cam and other features are significantly superior to the optimus 1. Im trying to figure out if the phone is worth the 6-7k premium over the optimus especially considering the android version that comes with the defy. How big a deal does the version make? Is it laggier? Pardon my ignorance.

The optimus seems to be VERY popular but I also read about its dust problem (apparently it has been resolved since Jan?). Also no flash with the camera. Does it lack anything significant compared to the defy?

Want to place the order for a phone soon and need some advice and suggestions. Need help choosing.

Thanks.

Guys, I have a small doubt. I own a defy, like it very much, but still a bit pissed off about the OS version. I'd like to install Gingerbread in the phone using Custom MOD, but a bit concerned about voiding the warranty (and bricking the phone). I checked the manual (duh) and I found that the software warranty is for 3 months.. What should I do?

Sorry for the off-topic...

OtterBox is available, OtterBoxâ„¢ Commuter Series Case - Black For Motorola DEFY MB525. Is it worth 2.3 k??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

wolvish said:
Guys, I have a small doubt. I own a defy, like it very much, but still a bit pissed off about the OS version. I'd like to install Gingerbread in the phone using Custom MOD, but a bit concerned about voiding the warranty (and bricking the phone). I checked the manual (duh) and I found that the software warranty is for 3 months.. What should I do?

Sorry for the off-topic...
My warranty is long gone. You can still upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3 and keep downgradeability by flashing a fixed SBF instead of full SBF so that you can reflash back to the original and claim warranty. Moreover, Defy is very hard to brick :).

killmastern3 said:
Get a screen protector. Sand will mess up the screen. I have a small scratch in mine :(

I have an Amzer silicon jelly case, it makes the mobile bulky :( and very dificult to remove from your pocket as it sticks.

@ST.John, Just checked the Otterbox case, man they are good and pretty expensive too. Guess its not available in India.

available, but at ridiculous prices, the cheapest i could find was 2,300.. Ordered one from globaleebay, used a coupon and getting it for 1,400...!

killmastern3 said:
My warranty is long gone. You can still upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3 and keep downgradeability by flashing a fixed SBF instead of full SBF so that you can reflash back to the original and claim warranty. Moreover, Defy is very hard to brick :).
fixed SBF? full SBF? Sorry.. I'm a n00b in flashing phones.. Can you please explain? :)

@killmaster3: I don't think defy needs any of those. I dropped the phone accidentally 4-5 times in my home from the table, nothing happened in the screen or body.. (But the screen is not resistant to fingerprints though, have to wipe them then and there)..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hmm.. Problem here.. My phone was on 40% battery when I went to bed @ 1 am. When I woke up @ 7 am, The phone is dead :( .. Before going to sleep, I used the phone intensively for like an hour, which drained the battery 20% in 1 hour.. I guess 2.1 is the culprit.. :(

Back