Motorola Defy - Is the Android version a big deal?

Memento

Disciple
Aug 10, 2010
After a LONG time I'm upgrading my phone. Looking for a solid android phone.

Decent quality cam, music/sound quality, web experience, email/messaging,fb, smooth interface, games etc are important.

Browsing through severals topics it seems that the Optimus 1 and Moto Defy are one of the most popular choices in their respective price categories. The samsung galaxy sl is a little too expensive for me. I was trying to keep my budget within 15k.

With the discount code on letsbuy, the defy comes to 15.2k and the optimus to 8.5k

The defy has a 5mp cam with flash and seems pretty rugged. I don't know if the cam and other features are significantly superior to the optimus 1. Im trying to figure out if the phone is worth the 6-7k premium over the optimus especially considering the android version that comes with the defy. How big a deal does the version make? Is it laggier? Pardon my ignorance.

The optimus seems to be VERY popular but I also read about its dust problem (apparently it has been resolved since Jan?). Also no flash with the camera. Does it lack anything significant compared to the defy?

Want to place the order for a phone soon and need some advice and suggestions. Need help choosing.

Thanks.

Hades.

Skilled
Aug 23, 2010
Defy has larger screen (3.7inch), faster processor (800mhz) , better camera (5MP) with led flash the only downside is that it comes with 2.1 eclair out of the box... If you can spend 15.2 k then go ahead and buy defy eyes closed

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
Moto Defy is the way to go. I own it and I love it. Very rugged, superb display and great performance. The main drawback of 2.1 is the lack of native flash support but the update to 2.2 is just around the corner. If you are willing to flash you can even have 2.3 installed. Very good quality camera. You will not regret buying it. Just use the coupan and buy the mobile :)

Aercy

Patron
Jan 4, 2007
Kolkata
Moto Defy is way better than Optimus One. Moto Defy will get 2.2 froyo update but 2.3 update not soon. O1 doesn't have the dust problem anymore & will get 2.3 update by June-July this year. But any given day Defy has better hardware & features than O1. O1 will satisfy your basic & moderate Android usage but Moto Defy will do it better. I would have gone for Defy if the price was this low back when I purchased Optimus One.

Memento

Disciple
Aug 10, 2010
Hades. said:
Defy has larger screen (3.7inch), faster processor (800mhz) , better camera (5MP) with led flash the only downside is that it comes with 2.1 eclair out of the box... If you can spend 15.2 k then go ahead and buy defy eyes closed

Thanks for the reply. Since I don't have any experience with android how big a deal is 2.1 vs 2.2 vs 2.3? I'm clueless here.

Also, with regards to the camera I read that there is a few seconds of delay in the Defy. Some 5mp cameras aren't much better than their 3mp counterparts. Wanted to know if that wasn't the case here. If it's just a little better, then I guess the optimus seems like more vfm with a more recent android version as well.Kind of confused here.

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
Memento said:
Thanks for the reply. Since I don't have any experience with android how big a deal is 2.1 vs 2.2 vs 2.3? I'm clueless here.

Also, with regards to the camera I read that there is a few seconds of delay in the Defy. Some 5mp cameras aren't much better than their 3mp counterparts. Wanted to know if that wasn't the case here. If it's just a little better, then I guess the optimus seems like more vfm with a more recent android version as well.Kind of confused here.

The small delay in the camera is due yo auto focus. I don't find the delay problematic. As for the differences in the different versions of android, its just like every other os. More featuresand the sort. Not a lot of difference

Between 2.1 and 2.2. 2.2 had native flash and better battery life

I understand 2.3 has a completely different look, do not know a lot more than that. The advantage for defy is the availability of custom roms such as cm7 and miui which take performance to while new level. If you are willing to use custom roms, they is none better choice than defy. I myself am using a custom 2.2 and loving it.

As mentioned by hades, if you have the money, just grab the defy.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And the defy is water proof, perfect for the coming rainy season ;)

pauldmps

Skilled
Mar 20, 2011
Hyderabad, India
The hardware of Defy is much superior to LG O1. So it is not about Android versions only.

As for Android 2.1 vs 2.2 vs 2.3, there is a huge difference in features between 2.1&2.2 while not so much between 2.2&2.3.

In Android 2.1, you cannot install apps in the memory card, has no flash support in browser.
Android 2.2 brings apps to card support, Adobe flash support & also Wifi tethering.
Android 2.3 has NFC support(not present in Defy) & minor improvements in performance & battery life.
So as you can see Android 2.3 doesn't really matter but do not buy phones which are not upgradeable to Android 2.2.

Fortunately, 2.2 update for Defy is officially out.

@killmastern3
Android 2.3 has the same look as 2.2. The Android Ice-cream sandwich (most probably 2.4) would have a complete different look.

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
pauldmps said:
The hardware of Defy is much superior to LG O1. So it is not about Android versions only.

As for Android 2.1 vs 2.2 vs 2.3, there is a huge difference in features between 2.1&2.2 while not so much between 2.2&2.3.

In Android 2.1, you cannot install apps in the memory card, has no flash support in browser.

Android 2.2 brings apps to card support, Adobe flash support & also Wifi tethering.

Android 2.3 has NFC support(not present in Defy) & minor improvements in performance & battery life.

So as you can see Android 2.3 doesn't really matter but do not buy phones which are not upgradeable to Android 2.2.

@killmastern3

Android 2.3 has the same look as 2.2. The Android Ice-cream sandwich (most probably 2.4) would have a complete different look.
Ohh ok. But 2.3 looked a lot different. No appearance changes in 2.2 and 2.1 as per my experience.

St.John

Disciple
Mar 10, 2010
pauldmps said:

@killmastern3

I'd like to differ here... 2.3 has much better aesthetics than 2.2...

Hades.

Skilled
Aug 23, 2010
Even though O1 comes with froyo out of the box but it doesn't have flash support which is one of the main feature of froyo update... Well Its due to less powerful hardware (600MHz processor)... And the web browsing experience is a bit laggy on O1 due to the mentioned reason... Defy not only has better hardware but also better custom roms support as mentioned above by my fellow TE users. Froyo update is out for defy. American user are receiving the update through OTA (Over The Air) but when indian users would get to taste froyo is something i dont know... Plus the froyo update for defy comes with adobe flash support... And if you want you can even overclock defy's cpu to 1Ghz by using custom roms for silky smooth browsing experience...

techno_guy

Skilled
Jul 2, 2010
O1 can suffice almost all your daily needs

Many apps run on it lag free

The flash problem can be solved by using skyfire browser as it can stream videos without flash plauer too

So software wise you may not feel much difference but hardware wise there is huge difference in screen , camera, and processor

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
techno_guy said:
O1 can suffice almost all your daily needs
Many apps run on it lag free
The flash problem can be solved by using skyfire browser as it can stream videos without flash plauer too
So software wise you may not feel much difference but hardware wise there is huge difference in screen , camera, and processor

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk
Ohh Yeah....:eek:hyeah: Cyanogenmod custom ROM, Android Version 2.3.4. Runs like a dream.

Memento

Disciple
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I went ahead a placed an order for the Defy-15.2k (COD).

Since I'm new to the android platform and custom roms, could someone please direct me to the right place to read up on and get started, to avoid messing up the phone. Is there a simple step-by-step guide I could follow? I suppose I'll start with a custom rom after having owned the phone for a week at least.

I'd also like to go for a screen guard and pouch/case. Any suggestion for a good scratch guard and phone cover? Any specific brands to look for? How is this one: Amzer® Super Clear Screen Protector with Cleaning Cloth - Pack of 2 For Motorola DEFY MB525 Any good case recommendations for the Defy?

Thanks again for all the help.

St.John

Disciple
Mar 10, 2010
Memento said:
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I went ahead a placed an order for the Defy-15.2k (COD).

Since I'm new to the android platform and custom roms, could someone please direct me to the right place to read up on and get started, to avoid messing up the phone. Is there a simple step-by-step guide I could follow? I suppose I'll start with a custom rom after having owned the phone for a week at least.

I'd also like to go for a screen guard and pouch/case. Any suggestion for a good scratch guard and phone cover? Any specific brands to look for? How is this one: Amzer® Super Clear Screen Protector with Cleaning Cloth - Pack of 2 For Motorola DEFY MB525 Any good case recommendations for the Defy?

Thanks again for all the help.
I am using these... till I receive my otterbox case from US... for the price you pay, they are fantastic... and very sturdy...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

aercy said:
With Moto Defy you don't need no protection gear!! :D That's the USP of the phone, dude!!!

Its scratch resistant not scratch proof...! No case is ok, but I'd suggest a screen guard...

killmastern3

Adept
Dec 10, 2010
Bangalore
Get a screen protector. Sand will mess up the screen. I have a small scratch in mine :(

I have an Amzer silicon jelly case, it makes the mobile bulky :( and very dificult to remove from your pocket as it sticks.

@ST.John, Just checked the Otterbox case, man they are good and pretty expensive too. Guess its not available in India.