Motorola Defy

abhi.eternal

Disciple
Reviewed: Motorola Defy

My mini-review of Motorola Defy:

One of the reasons I bought the cell was that the design will not get old even after a few years and it will 'last' me all those few years! The phone in fact looks very good in hand and feels sturdy.

The screen is, as you know, made up of Gorilla Glass but it is a fingerprint magnet! The Motorola logo, the 3.7 inch edge to edge WVGA capacitive touch-screen and the touch buttons are all below the glass, so they will stay as they are as long the glass holds up. The back has a soft touch feel and its attracts less fingerprints than front. Also, there is no Blur logo as seen on other Defy mobiles though the device comes with MotoBlur.

There is also the 5MP camera with LED flash and the battery lock on the back. There are screws all around the sides except top. On the right side, there is the USB/power port which is covered by a protective flap, where in the right side there is the volume rocker; however a physical camera button would have been nice. On the top is the power button along with the headset port with a cover and on the bottom if you notice very closely, you will find the mic just below the search button.

Now onto the software side. Defy comes with Android 2.1 Eclair pre-installed. However, it can be upgraded. The device boots up considerably fast compared to the other Android devices I have seen. After it's booted it will show the lock screen. You swipe through it to get to the home-scree Here you can select your widgets but the best part is you can re-size the MotoBlur widgets :) The good thing is all the widgets work as you expect them to.

The device hardly has any cool app installed by default but luckily applications can be installed easily; Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja are fun :)

Calls: Forget earpiece issues, the call quality is excellent, thanks to Moto's CrystalTalk technology.. it is like the person at the other end is talking right in your ear! There is also an option to make voice calls.

Messaging: I am not big on ‘texting’ but I am in love with Swype. It is in a word.. awesome!

Music: Defy is certainly loud! The default music player goes the job well but there is no equalizer within the app and you will need to go to system settings to choose from five presets.

Radio: Default radio comes with RDS but sadly there is no loudspeaker playback! However, there is an app for that (no pun intended ;))

Camera: The photo quality is decent but don’t expect anything great. Also you will miss the physical button if you have been using it so far. Also it doesn’t record in HD yet, may be with the next update!

Speed: The phone is fast. I got 1080 in Quadrant Benchmarks with a live wallpaper and lots of apps running in the background. There is no lag when switching the screens or apps.

Ruggedness: I have sprinkled water on it (intentional) and see it drop hard to floor (unintentional). It survived both!

Issues I faced so far:

- The screen lock would sometime stop working and will only work after restart.

- There is some problem with the compass calibration.

- When using Launcher Pro, it showed some lag while switching back to the homescreen from the app drawer.

This review is based on personnel experience. For tech specs, check GSMARENA or MOTOROLA

For pictures, please check my shared Facebook album :)

---------------

Original Post:

Motorola Defy is coming to India. Can some please get this confirmed?

I bought Motorola DEFY frm Hong Kong on 3rd January 2011 and i shud say its amazing, it cost me Rs.20350

Here are some Pic's

IMG_7261.jpg

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7263.jpg

I'm using "Quadrant Standard" to benchmark the performance of the mobile

IMG_7264.jpg

IMG_7266.jpg

This phone currently uses Android 2.1 but in Q2 a 2.2 update is confirmed by Motorola :clap:

@nikolain: Congrats man, it looks supercool! Please do a short review regarding the camera, music, FM quality, speed etc and of course the ruggedness!

Well, iGyaan is asking us wait till Friday for more info. Let's see. My Moto Rokr E6e touch-screen's dead and I desperately need a new phone!

@ nikolain: Congrats dude...

@ OP: I have a feeling that this phone would be priced very very close to the 20k mark... And if that is the case, it is a phone to die for. Unless Moto messes up with the pricing.

20K ? I don't think it's a phone to die for :p I'd rather put 2K more and get HTC Desire

IMO it should be priced at 17-18K.

avi said:
20K ? I don't think it's a phone to die for :p I'd rather put 2K more and get HTC Desire

Hehehehe!!! No phone in the world is worth dying for!!! Lolzzz :p

Neway, it would very close to 20k but on the southern side... So, around 19k is a good guess. And I think it is a good price for the phone. Especially for it being Dust proof and water resistant and having that awesome Gorilla Glass!!

avi said:

IMO DEFY is very much comparable to the Desire. and in some areas much better than the desire.

_

Why don't these phones have secondary camera? Many HTC phones, including the HTC Desire HD does not have a secondary camera.

No one does video calling?

Its a Awesome Phone guys, i have already fallen in love with it, the reason i bought this phone was the Awesome resolution ie: 854*480, as you might have already seen in the benchmark, its faster than HTC Desire, there were absolutely no problem with the earpiece or what so ever, it also has a Scratch Proof Screen, but who want's to take a chance, so i put a Scratch Guard too, 18k to 20k is the price i expect for this Phone in India.

Also i can bet that the Froyo Update will make this Phone even more Faster, than it is currently :)

Wait till you have to get a firmware update from moto...they just suck at updating phones that were their flagship even 6-8 months ago...so you have to rely on xda developers to get you some froyo love...

mav2000 said:
Wait till you have to get a firmware update from moto...they just suck at updating phones that were their flagship even 6-8 months ago...so you have to rely on xda developers to get you some froyo love...

Moto confirmed that they will release a update in Q2 2011 :)

Freaky said:
Yeah.. Right !! Like they stick to their announced deadlines for releasing updates :|

Actually i remember reading Q1 2011 but yea it might probably slip to Q2. Plus by that time Android 2.4 will probably be out!

kritarth said:
Its launched here in Bangalore. I just bought one for 19K :)
abhi.eternal said:
@kritarth: Congrats; but I think I beat you to it as according to the salesman I was the first buyer! :p I got it for 18,900 (+ free gift-set) today though the launch is supposed to be day after tomorrow with MRP of 21,990, all incl. A point to note: On the back, it does not have the 'blur' logo but it does come with Motoblur. For pictures, check this shared facebook album :)
Congrats to both of you :) I think i need one for myself considering how clumsy i am :p But price is too high relative to the Blade

Hey what was this gift-set that I missed out on ? :p . I also got the Sony MW600 to go along with it. They sound pretty nice too.
abhi.eternal said:
@kritarth: Congrats; but I think I beat you to it as according to the salesman I was the first buyer! :p I got it for 18,900 (+ free gift-set) today though the launch is supposed to be day after tomorrow with MRP of 21,990, all incl. A point to note: On the back, it does not have the 'blur' logo but it does come with Motoblur. For pictures, check this shared facebook album :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

will surely look into doing a small review . Am using android for the first time (comiing from the 5800XM) so will try and get used to it over a couple of weeks first. Might also dunk it into a bowl of water if feeling adventurous :)
nehaladsul said:
Congrats kirtarth and abhi.eternal :)

We need a small review from you people.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

oh and this is the second handset I've gotten on launch day. Before this was the W800i and I so cherished every moment I had it. Compared to it, 5800XM was a huge letdown ... never grew to like it. Hopefully experience with defy will be more in line with the w800

Back