Motorola Defy

kritarth said:
Hey what was this gift-set that I missed out on ? :p . I also got the Sony MW600 to go along with it. They sound pretty nice too.

Nothing special. A crockery set.. bunch of nice glasses.. will give them to my gf.. I don't even have a proper kitchen! Nice headphones though, congrats on that as well :)

@nehaladsul: Will try to do a review.. hardly any time though :(

its pretty much like a normal handset (except for the usb and 3.5mm plugs to keep water out) ... and its surprisingly small for a 3.7inch screen (as the screen covers most of the front panel). The look and feel is very much like that of a slimmed down and slightly widened 5800XM (including a tapered back)

My mini-review of Motorola Defy:

One of the reasons I bought the cell was that the design will not get old even after a few years and it will 'last' me all those few years! The phone in fact looks very good in hand and feels sturdy.

The screen is, as you know, made up of Gorilla Glass but it is a fingerprint magnet! The Motorola log, the 3.7 inch edge to edge capacitive touch-screen and the touch buttons are all below the glass, so they will stay as they are as long the glass holds up. The back does feel a little rubbery but the good type rubbery and its attracts less fingerprints than front. Also, there is no Blur logo though the device comes with MotoBlur.

There is also the 5MP camera with LED flash and the battery lock on the back. There are screws all around the sides except top. On the right side, there is the USB/power port which is covered by a protective flap, where in the right side there is the volume rocker; however a physical camera button would have been nice. On the top is the power button along with the headset port with a cover and on the bottom if you notice very closely, you will find the mic just below the search button.

Now onto the software side. Defy comes with Android 2.1 Eclair pre-installed. However, it can be upgraded. The device boots up considerably fast compared to the other Android devices I have seen. After it's booted it will show the lock screen. You swipe through it to get to the home-scree Here you can select your widgets but the best part is you can re-size the MotoBlur widgets :) I couldn't test the internet widgets as I don't have a data connection nor I have a WiFi access :( Apart from that, all the widgets work as you expect them to.

The device hardly has any cool installed by default but luckily applications can be installed easily; Angry Birds is fun :)

Calls: Forget earpiece issues, the call quality is excellent.. it is like the person at the other end is talking right in your ear! There is also an option to make voice calls.

Messaging: I am not big on ‘texting’ but I am in love with Swype. It is in a word.. awesome!

Music: Defy is certainly loud! The default music player goes the job well but there is no equalizer within the app and you will need to go to system settings to choose from five presets.

Radio: Default radio comes with RDS but sadly there is no loudspeaker playback! However, there is an app for that (no pun intended ;))

Camera: The photo quality is decent but don’t expect anything great. Also you will miss the physical button if you have using it so far. Also it doesn’t record in HD yet, may be with the next update!

Speed: The phone is fast. Have not benchmarked it but it works smooth. There is no lag when switching the screens or apps.

Issues I faced so far:

- The screen lock would sometime stop working and will only work after restart.

- There is some problem with the compass calibration.

- Could not get Nexus One live wallpaer to work; may be not supported.

- When using Launcher Pro, it showed some lag while switching back to the homescreen from the app drawer.

- Asphalt 3 not working. Screen is all scrambled up.

This review is based on personnel experience and no, I have not tried to dip it in water.. yet! If you want tech specs, please check here.

Nice little review, as for the compass calibration problem, even i faced it for the 1st time, but if you rotate it carefully in all 3-axis, it will be calibrated.

The Nexus One Live wallpaper worked for me, but i did not find it interesting, try Solar Winds, you will love it.

the reason it took 24 hours is bcoz, i have Taiwanese ROM v2.51 (Moto_Version.2.51.0.MB535.Retail.en.CH18), and all the method's out there on the net are for v2.21, so after reading at least 500 post i found out how to root the v2.51 and it was pretty simple, i just love what all thing's u can do once its rooted, i OCed it to 1 Ghz, and free (paid)apps are so much fun, as far as the wallpaper is concerned, i downloaded "Nexus One Boot Live Wallpaper" by Andres Schmois from the Normal Market

How is the Motorola service in India? I asked a shop (Sangeetha mobiles) yesterday about this phone and they said they don't stock Motorola phones due to service issues.

@nikolian: Can you share the link on how to root? (Android is open source so I think there is no problem in sharing, if there is the mods will take care of it!). I have JRDNEM_U3_2.52.0 firmware - so does this mean z4root or Super1Click?

@kreacher: Where do you live? AFAIK, Sangeetha Mobiles do stock Motorola!

^ Hyderabad, maybe just that store I tried did not have it in stock. Anyway, I'm hoping I can hold out for a couple of months before buying a new phone since MWC is around the corner.

abhi.eternal said:
@nikolian: Can you share the link on how to root? (Android is open source so I think there is no problem in sharing, if there is the mods will take care of it!). I have JRDNEM_U3_2.52.0 firmware - so does this mean z4root or Super1Click?

Try using z4root or Super1Click first, if it doesn't work i'll post the link

hey did you guys (ones with the defy) find where the 'voice to text' option is ? It should be in the keyboard right ? There is only a separate voice commands app on my phone. Also, when I try to use all the Voice translate and similar apps from the market, I get the message that my device does not have 'Voice recognizer' or 'Voice to text'

kritarth said:
hey did you guys (ones with the defy) find where the 'voice to text' option is ? It should be in the keyboard right ? There is only a separate voice commands app on my phone. Also, when I try to use all the Voice translate and similar apps from the market, I get the message that my device does not have 'Voice recognizer' or 'Voice to text'

It says the same thing to me :(

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Hey Defy owners , how bout a hands on review of this , your impressions and expectations.

.. please pretty please.

Lots of potential buyers like me , lined up :)

I'll target to have a review (mini or otherwise) by coming Monday - will do it over the weekend :)
dexBG said:
Hey Defy owners , how bout a hands on review of this , your impressions and expectations.
.. please pretty please.
Lots of potential buyers like me , lined up :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i have installed an app called Vlingo from the market. It gives me an option to replace the swype by a vlingo keyboard in all text input options. However this is not the solution I'm looking for for two reasons - a) I use swype for all my typing so would want the voice-to-text button right there on itand b) more importantly, apps like babelfish translators need a native voice-recognizer and so they still do not work with vlingo installed.
nikolain said:
It says the same thing to me :(
Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Back