Motorola RAZR V3i - Review

Well, spending 13k for a phone that does not run a decent os (read symbian) is a strict no no for me. But still since my bro got a v3i today, i thought i gotta review it... and after fiddling around it for 3 hours.. well! I think i gotta keep it!
Genre
It is V3i, or an improved version Of the famed Moto Razr. It has exactly the same dimensions as the original Moto Razr(contrary to what "myMobile" magazine said).

sc001.jpg

It has major upgrades in camera(1.3 MP vs VGA) and also features mem card Expansion( Micro SD).

Minor upgrade is all the tweakin done to OS to make the navigation faster and more refined..​

[break=Box Contents]
Box Contents

• V3i handset
  • 710 Mah batt
  • Stereo headset
  • Data cable
  • Wonderful leather pouch
  • Two leather string like strange things that some fellas attach to their cells
  • 256 MB Micro SD
  • 2 software CD's(itunes and mobile phone tools)
  • Owners manual and other stuff

The box looks pretty and sleek, but it is nothin compared to the casin of original RAzr( when it used to come in alumin box and was fr 22k)

[break=Display & Looks]

Looks

Well yeah,everyone who knows cellphones knows Razr. It is a slim phone (13.4mm). But please do not call it a "small phone" because it is pretty long and wide.

sc002.jpg

hmm roughly in length it is same as K750 and is even broader...

but still it's solid metal Baby.and it rocks.

A famous reviewer once said fr Razr: " If god decided to design a phone, then it will be a Razr"

well I guess" If God decided to choose colour Fr Razr then he will choose gunmetal"

It looks just fabulous... way better then all those pink, black and silvery things. sometimes it is purple and sometimes it is dark grey dependin upon the direction of fallin light...

Display and keypad

The keypad is same as original. The internal screen does seem improved(176*220 262k tft)
External screen has been bumped upto 65k ut still looks miserable.

Internal screen is one of the strong points. It is large, colourful and bright
actually it is better then nokia but still worse then sony and samsung

176*220 tfts

Samsung > SE > Motorola > Blokia. ;)

keypad lacks any depth whatsoever but is ok to use.
[break=Specs & Features]
UI and Features

Moto UI is junk . How could they think of somethin so stupid way back in 2000 and still have the guts to put the same synergy UI in razr V3i.

Ah if u are shiftin frm nokia and SE u will hate this UI(but u will soon get adjusted). but it is retarded...

and if u r frm E398 gang congrats, this will suit u to T.

Messagin using Itap however is great but it takes time to learn.
shortcuts abound in the UI basically u can set shortcut anywhere in the menu.
Menu speed is ok to good.

Connectivity and Java

Bluetooth, class 10 GPRS. (irda, EDGE absent)

wap browser is present

Java performace is pretty slow compared to se and nokia.

[break=Camera & Music]
Music

Like I said It has a card slot and a proper Stereo Mp3 player like E398. Morever u get 256 card in box. so u can start loadin it or buy a bigger card( I thnk upto 512) if u want....

The Mp3 files can be MAX 192 Kbps

They can be played in two ways

1> Itunes stupid stupid stupid moto :mad:
2> sounds menu

Itunes does the followin damage

1) 50 songs limit
2)songs hve to be transferred via itunes only.
3)u cannot set them as ringtones :S

The only advantage it has is that Itunes can be minimized while the "sounds menu cannot)

But the sound fr Mp3 player is wonderful. It is same as excellent E398 and maybe a notch below w800i but above Nokia 6681, 6230i.

It has got great bass elements and the included earphones are very comfortable. Equalizer is not there. volume is sufficient fr indoors, but outdoors I am not sure...........:no:

Fm Radio Is ABSENT.

Camera
It is 1.3 Mp unit without flash/AF/macro. Actually it is same as RAZR ,but the resolution has been bumped....

some points abt the cam are:

1) Full screen viewfinder
2) Immediate capture of image (missing in most megapixel camera phones)
3)good whitebalance but the focus is rather soft.
4)several effects are available

Video recorder that records in 3gp 176*144 is also present and is pathetic like all phone cams.

[break=Final Take]

Essentials

Network reception is good like all motorola's

Earpiece volume is rather LOW. so do test in a shop before u buy to make sure u r comfortable with it.

batt life I am not sure.. I will tell in a few days...
Conclusion

Go fr V3i if u wanna flaunt the coolest phone in the market. It looks cool and the new shade has loads of attitude.

even though the features are compromised, the mp3 player is not too bad and the camera is also rather good( atleast they are better then Original RAzr)

however fr 13.3k (with bill) u can get K750i, and hell this will not even be a honest comparison. The black SE is a power phone . Moto V3i is not. but It is a very good lookin phone and to some people only this matters!

Pro's
  • Great looks
  • Mem expansion
  • Good accessories in box
  • Upgraded camera
  • Supports USB mass storage/ plug and play
  • Transfer speed is rather good.
  • Loudspeaker is loud and clear
Con's
  • All features are average, nothin special
  • itunes has a song limit of 50
  • IMP> back cover/battery door is very difficult to Fix in it's place. so please try bfore u buy
  • Refuses to reconize my bluetooth dongle,but pairs well with Nokia 6681....
  • 13.5 Mb internal memory. 256 external in box

rating : 7.5/10
[break=Sample Pictures]
Sample Pictures

Some pics frm the built in camera

With negative effect

hmm very bad focus indeed...

13k he said..
duno bout music but looks not tht good one to me.
music player lets take it better than k750i.
but now comes camera it sucks. my 6230i takes better pics.
design is good
ui sucks which is most important for me.
even i thas no edge.
i think sony k750i i a better buy!@@

earpiec volume dosent matter..dad dosent use handsfree....wht do u mean by battery cover ??

By earpiece volume, I am talkin abt the actual phone itself and not the handsfree.....

Battery cover= Back cover

------------------------------------------------------------------------

some more updates

1) supports USB mass storage/ plug and play
2) transfer speed is rather good.
3) Loudspeaker is loud and clear

3)If param is listening then ,pls can u tell me some site to download "Digital audio player" which is a java app that comes installed in E398

i too got it for 12.5k frm heera panna mumbai....but now univercell is showing 12.15 price..so i fguess its would b ard 11.5 to 12k now........with bill........and yup the volume of the phone is not that gr8.......ppl want all phones to giv music of w550i range.....i keep hearing this commonly

My first Cell was Motorola and Now I am using Nokia.

With moto. I can never hear any Ringing on Busy Street. Always miss the calls due to inbuilt low volume of MOTO.

I and my friend who use moto. earlier always complaint about the Law Sound.

I don't know why moto. tend to keep sound low, when all other give imp. to sound.

For sound SE is unmatched, than comes Nokia and than Motorola.

If you really concern about Sound (ringer tone) visit Dealer on Busy hours so in midst of crowd if you satisfy with Ringer than Buy it else move to SE or Nokia.

Stick said:
My first Cell was Motorola and Now I am using Nokia.

With moto. I can never hear any Ringing on Busy Street. Always miss the calls due to inbuilt low volume of MOTO.

I and my friend who use moto. earlier always complaint about the Law Sound.
I don't know why moto. tend to keep sound low, when all other give imp. to sound.

For sound SE is unmatched, than comes Nokia and than Motorola.

If you really concern about Sound (ringer tone) visit Dealer on Busy hours so in midst of crowd if you satisfy with Ringer than Buy it else move to SE or Nokia.
Arre no, u guys are gettin it wrong!!

The ringing volume of V3i is loud and very good...

What I was talkin about was the volume of calls durin conversation... ie when u actually talk to any other person.......That is rather low

I hope I make myself clear...

Nice stuff there aka911, but i don't agree with the ratings ;) the fone should get a 6.5 or 6 out of 10. Lookwise its the thing to get but besides that it lacks in other aspects. It's no competition at all to the k750i at all like you mentioned (especially at that price).

This is really a cool mobile.

My dad bought this mobile, but i am not sure its v3 or v3i, but anyway its too much for my dad:p.

Congrats its a great phone !

@ aka911 - I'd be glad if you could click some pics of the "Menu" and "Message" screens and post :)

Looks good to me as i am one person who "Just" make or receive calls from the mobile... If it has got good battery life then its a winner in my book... Nice review mate... Reps for you...

Back