Movies that are visually stunning!

Dune (2021)

I loved this scene in Dune which is a masterpiece in visual story telling in my opinion.

Just a 30 sec scene but in that short time Villeneuve tells you all you need to know about the dreaded Sardaukar soldier fanatics.

The oppressive colour palette, utterly alien Mongolian throat-chanting, soldiers being anointed in the blood drained out of human sacrifices in vats, all of it comes together just perfectly.

Even anybody who has never read Dune series will immediately understand that these guys are in a league of their own.

Meru (mountaineering movie, won Oscar)
Wall E (and other pixar movies)
Nolan's Batman Movies (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight)
Dunkirk
Interstellar
Shutter Island
Titanic
Miyazaki movies (Mononoke Hime, Spirited Away, Princess Kaguya)
Wong Kar Wai movies (Chungking Express, In the mood for love)
No Country for Old Men
... (will keep adding as I remember)

Final Destination series
Percy Jackson 1
G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra 2009
Lucy 2014 (found this interesting, unsure if its visually appealing to others)
LUCY is really fantastic especially when her surreal experiences converts into a USB drive!!
Time machine - when he travels beyond 22xx years for 5 minutes is visual treat with great music.
All Transformer movies are visual treats.

Star Wars - Phantom menace.
Ajooba song in Jeans.
Gerua Song in Dilwale, full of iceland.

Surprisingly no one mentioned Baraka.
The music is mind blowing and it is definitely moving ..
EDIT: Subscribed to
1635783039328.png

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Just one word - stupendous. Another such unbelievable mountaineering docu based on true story is Touching the Void.
If you like mountaineering stuff Everest: Beyond the Limit is not to be missed. Sherpas are superhumans and without them there'd be no summits!
I had a fairly decent collection of mountaineering and rock climbing movies/series/docu which I lost a while when the HDD failed.
Of course, the most recent Free Solo is a must watch. I watched it on the big screen and it was an experience.
My other favs include North Face and Valley Uprising, there's one more but can't recollect. Looking at all this is making me want to rebuild the collection. I love mountains.

Back