Moving to Bangalore.. Need help.

dipen01

Skilled
Hey guys,

Another moving to Bangalore thread..!

I am shifting from Mumbai to Bangalore. My Office will be at Millenia Towers, Murphy Road, Ulsoor.
I am looking for a 1BHK near that area -
1) What would be good residential areas to look at ?
2) What is the tentative price range for Non-Furnished / Semi Furnished / Fully Furnished flat ?
3) What are the general trends for Brokerage / Deposit for Rent Agreements ?
4) Are there any good Bangalore Specific portals to look for renting the Apt ?

Note - I am hoping for my commute to be not more than 20 minutes.I will be using either my 2 Wheeler or Public Transport.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Another moving to Bangalore thread..!

I am shifting from Mumbai to Bangalore. My Office will be at Millenia Towers, Murphy Road, Ulsoor.
I am looking for a 1BHK near that area -
1) What would be good residential areas to look at ?
2) What is the tentative price range for Non-Furnished / Semi Furnished / Fully Furnished flat ?
3) What are the general trends for Brokerage / Deposit for Rent Agreements ?
4) Are there any good Bangalore Specific portals to look for renting the Apt ?

Note - I am hoping for my commute to be not more than 20 minutes.I will be using either my 2 Wheeler or Public Transport.

Thanks.
Hi

First of all finding a 1BHK is extremely hard. You'll be lucky to get one.
So you might have to share a 2BHK with other people.

The best residential place would be Jeevan Bheema nagar,New Tipsandra, Indiranagar or M.G. road.
1BHK non-furnished could cost you around 11-15k .Add 5k for furnished one. And keep it mind many of the owners ask for 10 months rental in advance, so that's there. So 1-1.5lakh for deposit. Not everyone asks for 10 months, but 80 percent of the people do.
2BHK would be cheaper on pockets .

Best place to look is here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/434837873193610/?fref=ts

Join this group to post queries and get better deals (avoid brokerage fees).

Hey eggman,

Thanks for replying.
- I am moving with a family so sharing isn't an option.
- I hope its either 1.5L Deposit / Advanced Rent and not both..

1) What would be tentative rates for 2 BHK (Unfurnished) ? - Checked sulekha and looks like even 2BHK are going for around 12-15k / month. My budget is 13-15k.
2) I am planning to stay closer to main road and looking for relatively newer construction.(2-3 years old). As I understand Ulsoor is part of Old Bangalore, So any idea if it still has new constructions ?
3) If at all, I have to go through brokers, what is the normal brokerage ?
4) Another doubt being, there are 4 Railway Stations in Bangalore - Bangalore Cantt, Bangalore East, Bangalore City Junction, Yeshwantpur.. which is one is the main one ?
5) Ulsoor and surrounding area is supposedly uptown with Markets / Malls / Crowd etc ? .. I think MG Road is good as that, please correct me if I am wrong.
6) Finally, cheapest / fastest way to reach Airport from Ulsoor ?

Thanks a lot..!

Hey @dipen01

Eggman gave you most of the answers accurately.

Im answering the rest below:

Normal Rent agreements demand the following:

- 10 Months advance (security deposit), in the event of a longer stay a lock-in period might be applied to the contract, if you wish to leave the apartment before the lock in period is completed a 5% penalty is a nominal fee (This however is not followed by all owners). When you leave the apartment, it must be returned in the same state it was provided to you ( for ex: If the paint has chipped off in certain areas, you must have it repainted or pay the owner the repainting costs, which might be deducted from the security deposit)
- All rents are collected before the 5th of every month in most apartments.
- The maintenance is calculated separately and is collected with the rent either by the community or the owner.

In the event you arrive in the middle of a month, the rent will be calculated for the remaining days, which will be payable either upfront or on completion. The Usual rent cycle will commence from the next month in this situation.

Next:

1) If you are looking for a gated apartment community 12-15k may not be enough. Getting a 1BHK is purely luck, most apartments don't have 1BHK's in newer construction models.

2) Closer to the main road = higher rents. Ulsoor is not considered a part of Old Bangalore anymore, a lot of construction projects are underway in and around ulsoor. Its turning out to be a nifty place to visit. (I can try and source more construction details over the next few days if you need)

3) If you must go via a broker, the normal brokerage is 1 months rent, paid upfront when the rent agreement is signed.

4) The main railway station is the Bangalore City Junction, however Bangalore Cantonment (Cant) is closer to Ulsoor (Note: the average stoppage time at cantonment is very low, 5-7 mins)

5) A lot of places in Bangalore are uptown, Indiranagar which is right next to Ulsoor is one of them. There are various malls in Bangalore, which are well placed to cover most areas.
MG Road isn't necessarily a central hub for entertainment anymore. It is still however a preferred shopping destination considering its proximity to commercial street.

6) The cheapest way is taking the BIAL bus which regularly ferries people to and from the airport several times a day. There isn't exactly a fastest way in Bangalore. Traffic during peak hours is horrid all over the city. IF you need to get to the airport, you will need to fork out an hour and a half from ulsoor during moderate traffic situations.

BIAL Bus Service: http://www.bengaluruairport.com/tra..._afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=qbrnms2fn_49

Note: Be prepared to face traffic situations on most days, the metro from Bypanhalli - MG road solves travelling headaches between a few areas. That's however still the fastest mode of transportation available in Bangalore today.

Last edited:
Just my two bits - rents on Sulekha don't really tell you about the condition of the house. 2BHK unfurnished for 12-15k will turn out to be pretty old and on the inside.

U can also look at Sadanand Nagar which is next to the first metro station. You will find houses for rent there not apartments. Good place if staying with family

Thanks guys.. will take that into account..
One thing is troubling me - Shortage of 1 BHKs. I spoke to a client today who is a Contractor in Bangalore and even he reiterated that it is near impossible to find good 1BHKs in and around Ulsoor.
So what mostly, every working family has 2BHKs ?

@dipen01 Almost everyone has a 2 BHK, however don't be fooled by the 2BHK notion, the super-built area might be smaller which is the only thing you have to take into consideration when it comes to rent calculation.

SqFt x (rate per square foot) - this is determined on the basis of the Actual Property Cost, ROI%, Present Land Value and commercial viability of the area the property is situated in.

Lastly, never take anything at face value here, make sure all your demands are put on paper and signed. Request for a maintenance + rent Invoice and receipts from the owner. Ask for a statement of accounts on either a bi annual or annual basis, if the community is taking the maintenance directly, ask for a statement of accounts from them as well. If needed obtain NOC's from the community before moving in.

These steps might seem excessive, but with the stories I have heard around town over the years, I feel its always better to come in prepared for the worst.

Last edited:
@dipen01 - another thing to keep in mind is if you're looking for a newer construction (which is like an apartment complex) then you will have to pay the maintenance which is usually Rs 0.75 to Re 1 per sqft.
So regardless of how many bedrooms you get (1 or 2) if your rent is 12k (highly unlikely) and the area is 1000sqft @ .75/sqft then that's another 750 on your rent.

Real estate in B'lore is $crewed up...which seeing as you're coming from Bombay is something you will have experienced.

Places like Indiranagar are expensive. You would do well to find some place for 15k over there..I don't know that part of town so well to suggest a good location for you but I'm pretty sure Indiranagar won't fit your budget!

Finally going to Bangalore on 16th - 18th Feb for recon and finalizing the place...
For these 3 days, I'll be staying near KGA Golfcourse (Near Domlur)

Also I have finalized following areas for hunting. (Red circle being my office)

2r7u8eq.png

Have started speaking to brokers through Sulekha / 99acres but nothing concrete has been lined up yet.
I am being told to co-ordinate a day before my visit..!

Any tips guys ?

Cox Town is a decent-ish area, well populated and has everything you need on a daily basis.

Considering your office location, you can try bypanhalli too. I would stay away from brokers on Sulekha and 99 Acres. They aren't accurate and they have inflated service charges. However, if some member here lives around Indiranagar they might be able to help you out with a brokers number. Local brokers usually have a large number of choices. :)

Back