Moving to Pune.. suggestions

red-devil

Disciple
I'm going to be moving to Pune to start a new job next week. The office is going to be in Yerwada. My wife is giving interviews now and she might end up working in Hinjewadi area (nothing is confirmed yet for her).

Neither of us have ever been to Pune so would like some suggestions-
  • Which hotels are recommended for staying in the Yerwada area? I looked up some of the usual websites and they just show crappy old ones that charge exorbitant amount. I'd like to know if there are slightly more modern feeling hotels that can be relied upon while commuting via ola or Uber?
  • Are brokers the only way to get decent places to rent? What areas would be better suited for a couple? Looking for a safe area with 24x7 running water supply and low power cuts.
  • Utilities like cooking gas, internet etc will vary depending on the area but I've heard that majority of the newer areas have pipelines for cooking gas, thereby preventing the need for a cylinder. Is that actually the case?
  • How is the public transportation in Pune? I might want to buy a 2 wheeler and a 4 wheeler in a few months once my wife finds her job but is a 2 wheeler an immediate necessity?

I'm going to be moving to Pune to start a new job next week. The office is going to be in Yerwada. My wife is giving interviews now and she might end up working in Hinjewadi area (nothing is confirmed yet for her).
  • How is the public transportation in Pune? I might want to buy a 2 wheeler and a 4 wheeler in a few months once my wife finds her job but is a 2 wheeler an immediate necessity?
Unfortunately, public transport's a mess in Pune. With Ola and Uber it has slightly improved but then the traffic situation is really bad. IF your wife works at Hinjawadi, it's better if you find an area which is equidistant from both Yerwada and Hinjawadi so that you guys both don't spend too much time traveling. Hinjawadi traffic is pretty bad. Two wheeler is a necessity if you want to reduce your commute time.
What king of apartment you are looking for? (furnished ??). Since you will be staying at a hotel, going the broker way would be most convenient otherwise it'll require some effort and time and you might only get weekends for that. Online portals for good enough and you can start looking right now.[DOUBLEPOST=1533189705][/DOUBLEPOST]If your wife can find job in Viman nagar, Kalyani nagar (most desirable) or in Kharadi (EON) or Magarpatta, she can save a lot of commuting time and you can can find a good place at Kharadi or Wagholi.

Last edited:
My inputs -

- Not sure about hotels in Yerwada but all apps like Goibibo etc have listings based on star ratings, you may find many options in Yerwada, Nagar road, etc.
- Brokers charge exceptionally high no doubt, all depends on how much time you have joining Pune and stay in the hotel while you look out for suitable flat. If you have short listed area you can pass the requirement to friends or colleagues in Pune, they could pass on to WA groups, many of my friends got this way as owners also avoid going via brokers and prefer via known references.
- If I look in Google maps, and find convenient location for you two - I suggest Aundh, Pimple Nilakh and Pimple Saudagar to be convenient to both areas, moreover to your wife. Pimple Saugadar is major engineers hub for working in Hinjewadi area. It will have more options of flats availability plus many options for daily commute to work (same company buses, corporate buses, car pooling, public transport). The distance for you would we around 15 Km to Yerwada and to your wife it would be 10Km to Hinjewadi. As a new comer I would suggest you to use 2 wheeler and for your wife the mentioned bus services.
- Most of societies in all mentioned areas have MNGL connections setup / in process, if not getting normal would take a day or two max.

P.S. I stay nearby Pimple Saudagar, let me know if you want any specifics from the locality.

A friend lives in hermes heritage (phase 2), it's a slightly old but decent society and especially suitable for a couple/family.

Pune traffic is nuts, you will go insane commuting, so look at how to reduce that as much as possible. A 2 wheeler will definitely make things much easier. Highly recommended with/without a car.

Nagar Road has a bunch of hotels including the chain ones, which you could have a look at depending upon your budget and how long you'll be staying (you'll be closer to the big shops and malls too, if you need to get stuff in the initial days). That's where I stay when I usually visit Pune and have work around that area. Four Points by Sheraton is a good one in the lower range. Are you joining any of the MNCs which have corporate rate tie ups with hotels? If yes, you could snag a good rate at these hotels using your company's corporate code.

If your wife does end up joining in Hinjewadi, and you want to be kind of equidistant from both workplaces, then Aundh is a good area to look at or Baner (a bit further towards Hinjewadi). But as others have suggested, if she does manage to get an opportunity towards Viman Nagar, Kalyani Nagar or Magarpatta, it would end up being favorable for the both of you and open up a lot more options.

A friend lives in hermes heritage (phase 2), it's a slightly old but decent society and especially suitable for a couple/family.

Ah, one of the societies I was staying in when I was based in Pune :) But might not be suitable for him if they end up getting jobs at either ends of Pune.

Pune is getting pathetic in lots of terms.

Relying on public transport is unreliable decision in first place. Read Pune times and you will get to know the daily havoc about pmpmpl buses here and its mismanagement etc.
So having a personal vehicle is a prime necessity. No wonder you will find every home having at least 2 vehicles min.

Pune traffic is getting worst day by day and added chaos due to the metro work and addition of lacs of vehicles. No roads but only vehicles is the current scenario. Not to forget the ever rising pollution here.

Ola/Uber is best here unless you can beat the traffic. But they too find the optimum routes at peak hours as they dont want to travel with a single ferry for 2-3 hours long.

For hotel, you can catch up any good hotels depending on your preferred luxury and no. of days of stay around yerwada. Trivago, goibibo. etc. will be helpful.

For rented house dont go for brokers at all unless its your last minute resort. Every area brokers have their own set of rules which are even high than govt of maharashtra. And most of the brokers here are some related goons or politico shits.
Eg: For 15k rented apartment they will charge you flat 35k brokerage and if they find you a nooby outsider then you will be looted beyond 40-45k. Count on that.
Going via broker was essential couple of years ago but now things have changed.
You can very well hunt your house directly from the landlords on apps and sites like nobroker, magic bricks, 99acres, sulekha etc. So you save lots of money which ca be used for other household purposes.

I would suggest get a rented apartment at pimple nilakh or aundh area. Aundh will be almost equal for both of you in either direction. 10/12kms.
I'm sure if its hinjewadi your wife will definitely get a bus/cab from her company.. Else if she know how to drive a moped/car its nice.
If she doesnt know to drive then get a house at wakad area which will be too convenient to her but less for you. From wakad you get share autos across hinjewadi as well.
If your co. also offers transport then you dont have to worry.

Once in Pune if you need any assistance you can pm me.

Last edited:
If either you or your wife gets a company pick-up/drop, then stay close to the place of the person who has to travel by him/her self.
If you'll both have weekends free, and like eating out, and shopping then stay near Koregoan Park - i.e. Viman Nagar, Kalyani Nagar, Yerwada, etc.

If you want to save on rent, and get a really nice place to live, then stay at Mohammedwadi in one or near of the Nyati buildings. It's a nice neighbourhood with good flats, and rents are low because it's a bit out of the way. But it's closer to the city than Wagholi near Yerwada.
I'm sure there are other upscale neighbourhoods in Pune as well that have really low rentals.

Most places in Pune are pretty well served by Ola and Uber, so unless you stay in the outskirts you won't need either a bike or a car.

Travelling is a pain during peak hours, but at other times getting around is pretty quick, if chaotic.

I'd suggest looking at neighbourhoods and housing society's you'd like to live in, not worry over much about distance.

Ah, one of the societies I was staying in when I was based in Pune :) But might not be suitable for him if they end up getting jobs at either ends of Pune.

Incidentally, he's living on rent in hermes because his company is close by too, but he bought an (under construction) flat in hinjewadi a long time ago, before he got this job and moved into hermes. So now that his company has a very solid option of work from home, he's going to finally move into the hinjewadi flat and occasion travel to yerwada when needed. His wife doesn't work though.

Thanks, I've been looking at Nobroker and Nestaway apps to try and narrow down some houses so that I can give the owners a call.

I'm looking at apartment buildings so that it can be relatively safer (over independent houses). For a regular 2BHk in Aundh, Pashan and surrounding areas, what would be the expected rent? Just want to understand so that I don't just pay the listed price.

Re: Traffic, I'm going to be moving from Bangalore so I think I totally understand how bad rush hours can be.

fellow members I wanted some information in the same context, hence bumping old thread.

Can anyone suggest me some short-term stay ( 1-2 months) option in Pune. Something in line of executive PG or something ?

I don't have much idea about Pune, only been there long back, 1-2 time just for business, and only for matters of hours.
Koregaun/Viman nagar areas preferred - will be walking distance for my point of interest.

I have some health condition eating out is not an option (might hire a cook if needed).
checking nobroker as suggested by some peer, unable to get any success.
oyo/zolo is not an option - they are far far away form my expected social & hygiene condition.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

The mentioned time frame seems hurdle in getting accomodation I think. Best option is contact people from your work to check for such availability at their references or societies. Luckily Koregaon Park (KP) is quite open to such guests/bachelors than any other area in Pune. Another option could be Airbnb, KP must have maximum options available with their guest houses. You may also get in touch with Hotels in those areas and ask for making suitable arrangements for you, that might get costly though.

I live in the opposite side on Pune (PCMC) and don`t have much connections in KP/VN, if you need any additional help send me PM.

Thanks, I've been looking at Nobroker and Nestaway apps to try and narrow down some houses so that I can give the owners a call.
Just wanted to chime in and let you know that you should stay clear of Nestaway. So many people have had bad experiences with them. If you go on any flat and flatmates group on facebook, it will be full of complaints about Nestaway. Nobroker is much better.

I have queries related to Pune so not going to make another thread for it.
1. I'll be flying out of Pune to Delhi in March and owing to restricted movement in the periphery of Delhi, I'm thinking taking another flight out of Delhi to Chandigarh. I'm in a fix regarding which flight to select as I don't know how much time will it take to clear security and check-in process. I already have the flight from Pune to Delhi booked with arrival to Delhi at 2:30PM and the next flight out of Delhi to Chandigarh will be at 3:30PM. So would 1 hour be enough for me to catch this flight?
2. As I'm not staying in Pune, rather will be going there for a brief visit, want to know good places to visit and eat, in and around Pune. My mode of transport would be Cab.

I have queries related to Pune so not going to make another thread for it.
1. I'll be flying out of Pune to Delhi in March and owing to restricted movement in the periphery of Delhi, I'm thinking taking another flight out of Delhi to Chandigarh. I'm in a fix regarding which flight to select as I don't know how much time will it take to clear security and check-in process. I already have the flight from Pune to Delhi booked with arrival to Delhi at 2:30PM and the next flight out of Delhi to Chandigarh will be at 3:30PM. So would 1 hour be enough for me to catch this flight?
2. As I'm not staying in Pune, rather will be going there for a brief visit, want to know good places to visit and eat, in and around Pune. My mode of transport would be Cab.

unless the flights are from the same airline, try to keep a slightly bigger gap. I have had to change flights at domestic Delhi and the experience was not too great.

Back