CPU/Mobo MSI K9NGM2 or ASUS M2NPV-VM??

I have MSI k9gm2 being used as an HTPC. The sound out is almost bit perfect from the S/Pdif out function. So u can check it out. no clue abt Asus though it sh;d be good as well. Look for optical s/pdif out incase u can grab.

^ Huh? Both the MSI and Asus have the same graphics core - if one has *Vista Aero support* , its obvious the other would too !

Well have a M2npv-vm ( btw bought from Nehru place ). Also having used both MSI and Asus boards (24*7 * 350 days /yr )... will say that both make rock solid boards but M2NPV-VM has audio problems ( damn thing shutters in win xp with its soundmax hd ) whereas msi with the realtek hd works fine in win xp ...btw vista works fine with M2NPV-VM ... donno with msi ...

was one of the first to buy the M2NPV-VM and am really except for the sound ... if i was in ur place wil get the msi gm2 if all my features req are met ..

period get the msi .. ( btw my last 3 + current mobo are asus )

Dex@ter said:
Well have a M2npv-vm ( btw bought from Nehru place ). Also having used both MSI and Asus boards (24*7 * 350 days /yr )... will say that both make rock solid boards but M2NPV-VM has audio problems ( damn thing shutters in win xp with its soundmax hd ) whereas msi with the realtek hd works fine in win xp ...btw vista works fine with M2NPV-VM ... donno with msi ...

was one of the first to buy the M2NPV-VM and am really except for the sound ... if i was in ur place wil get the msi gm2 if all my features req are met ..

period get the msi .. ( btw my last 3 + current mobo are asus )

MSI K9NGM2 has a small Heatsink in it's Southboridge although not shown anywhere in it's pic. in MSI Website. But does ASUS M2NPV-VM also has a Heatsink fitted in it's Southbridge.

@Dexter

The audio stuttering and driver installation problems afe due to a bug in XP.Just install the hotfix given on the driver CD in the same folder as the audio drives.

I am using the m2npv-vm abd i can say its very good . i am facing no sound issues , and its very good too on my 2.1 atp3 .

with the bundled HDTV out module they send its kinda the complete htpc you are looking for . even when hooked up to a normal TV , the tv out has never been so clear . its even better than the tv out on my last 6600gt . so there , i dont think there is a very big difference being budget boards , and they work as well. any choice is good but i would suggest the asus .

arnov said:
MSI K9NGM2 has a small Heatsink in it's Southboridge although not shown anywhere in it's pic. in MSI Website. But does ASUS M2NPV-VM also has a Heatsink fitted in it's Southbridge.

The asus board does not a heatsink on its southbridge .... btw i am getting temp reading of 30 degrees (C) on the board where my 3800+ proc is showing 24 degrees ( C ) at current delhi temps ...

^ 30 degrees is not normal, maximum temprature in delhi today was 23 degrees.
which cabby are you using? are there any fans installed in the cabby?

I now feel lucky too have got MSI Board as it has small but effective Heatsink fitted in it's Southboridge which I feel is very important, speacially if you are a Gamer. Even after running hours and hours both of the Heatsinks stays quite cool and the Board too.

I am using an m2npv and from use this is what I have...

Pros: Easy availability even if you don't live in a bigger city, Decent installation, all the reqd. ports/slots etc, decent expansion capabilities.
Cons: Hissing sound if you pause playing and then resume(can be fixed), auto installs active armor firewall which is a p.o.s.

Back