MTNL woes.. any suggestions... :(

bigbyte

Skilled
I am still ruing the day (around 45days back) I decided to go for a MTNL landline and broadband service for myself. The phone was installed in 10 days but thereafter there was no sign of Triband. Having opted for 495 combo plan, I was worried that I'll be billed without using Triband.

After several personal visits to nearest CSC finally it was installed. Initially everything was fine but after 15 days everything went dead.

Now the telephone line is completely dead, Broadband connects rarely.. that too for 2-3 minutes and disconnects.

My complaint at 198 is pending since long, no one has ever attended to it, I've complained personally to concerned SDE and also to DGM office but still no action.

Now it has become really very annoying and frustrating. moreover now they have sent me the latest bill with all kind of charges (installation activation security etc). I feel like being cheated in broad day light and helpless.

Any suggestion friends, before I apply for disconnection of service?

What suggestion are you looking for when even after lodge complaint with DGM your problem didn't sort out & this is the NO.1 reason why MTNL facing huge losses.

Don't pay the bill & ask them to sort out the issue, late fee will be not more than Rs.20/- if you paid after due date. So wait & watch. If in future you are not planning to go with MTNL than just don't pay the bill & apply for new connection from others without wasting a minute. But check if others are not equal to MTNL as in that case MTNL will proved good.

MTNL has this connection issues every year during rains. i have been using empty-n-hell triband for the last 4 yrs now and every yr during monsoon, it keeps on disconnecting frequently. but works like a charm rest of the yr.

this is the state of MTNL and the price you pay for cheap and literally 'unlimited' internet. either live with it or leave it. any number of complaints is not going to help. but i can tell you other than monsoons, it works awesome round the year.

1 thing will solve your problem in monsoon if cable/wiring fault is there- chai paani to line men :) try it, Rs.50/100 investment will save you from all hassle & interruption free service :)

But at present even the phone is not working. leave alone broadband. And I've a reliable true unlimited 512kbps for Rs.400, 1mbps for Rs.750 internet in my area. They reduced their rates a week after the MTNL was installed in my home.

there was so called "MTNL TIME" pre cell phone era when one had to give all that chai paani etc, now they exist only because of "INTERNET"

take some time off & go to their office & just "ROCK IT", i do not know whether you in Mumbai or Delhi, but go by the book and speak to the "AREA IN-CHARGE"

usually it happens if there is any development work going on in that area, just assuming, but please i will not advice you to pay anything to anyone, you are already paying what is to be paid.

NO TO CORRUPTION

My area in charge is the most useless person in his office. Always gives false assurances and doesn't seems to do anything. Have met him personally.

I liked the suggestion ROCK the office. I've nothing to lose.

In the mtnl exchange , its always rocking the house(office) which gets their work started.
The thing is bad roads and cable thieves increase the problems in underground cabling and end users have to suffer.
When i had mtnl landline there were many cases of cable theft along with cable fault when roads get digged up or repaired.

In my area, 198 means same day service. But you have to figure out the broadband problems by yourself. Eg: Broadband wont work smooth if line is noisy. Otherwise it works fine for me. Airtel was worse with me. I am still getting bills after four years of disconnection. Normally bill is of Rs 0 but sometimes they charge Rs 750. Endless emails and posting on consumercourt.in has not helped!

matoind said:
In my area, 198 means same day service. But you have to figure out the broadband problems by yourself. Eg: Broadband wont work smooth if line is noisy. Otherwise it works fine for me. Airtel was worse with me. I am still getting bills after four years of disconnection. Normally bill is of Rs 0 but sometimes they charge Rs 750. Endless emails and posting on consumercourt.in has not helped!

onsumercourt.in is not legal thing to launch complaint and it is 3rd party website jst for sake to knw and share issue with consumer it is firmed so try another things

Like everyone say just giv the linesman 50-100 Rs... The line will be sorted out and ur BB will work perfectly........ I had same problem few weeks back...... just made 198 complaint and took the token no. and went out to find the linesman mostly near the connection boxes..... was sorted out by afternoon....... no problem since then........ its the rain thts causing the problem so get the line fixed and BB will work automatically......

U hear lots of complaint abt Airtel so dont go with tht....... plus there is the FUP shit.....

Airtel is not an option since it is not available in my area. The only landline connection available in my area is MTNL. I took it basically for phone as cheaper broadband service is available.

Anyways went again and talked to DGM, he called the area in-charge and asked him to check the problem.

The connection was up in the evening and broadband was also working fine. A linesman came to house and said there wasn't any problem from his side as the problem was from exchange.

Any ways let's see how long it works satisfactorily. Keeping my fingers crossed.

bigbyte said:
I am still ruing the day (around 45days back) I decided to go for a MTNL landline and broadband service for myself. The phone was installed in 10 days but thereafter there was no sign of Triband. Having opted for 495 combo plan, I was worried that I'll be billed without using Triband.

After several personal visits to nearest CSC finally it was installed. Initially everything was fine but after 15 days everything went dead.

Now the telephone line is completely dead, Broadband connects rarely.. that too for 2-3 minutes and disconnects.

My complaint at 198 is pending since long, no one has ever attended to it, I've complained personally to concerned SDE and also to DGM office but still no action.

Now it has become really very annoying and frustrating. moreover now they have sent me the latest bill with all kind of charges (installation activation security etc). I feel like being cheated in broad day light and helpless.

Any suggestion friends, before I apply for disconnection of service?

Hi,

Here's what u need to do. Print a letter addressed to the DGM of ur exchange stating the issues u have, make a copy of it like xerox it and goto the exchange. Get in the DGM'S office and tell the guy u want to give this personally to him, make sure he signs and stamps both the copies, wait 7 days, if nothing happens approach them again with a new letter similar content but add that you will press charges against them if the service is not restored to its fullest in 7 days and make sure he signs and stamps it again. Now, once these 7 days go by and if u donot get ur service restored, move the right to information act against them, am sure u'il have a lawyer who can draft a notice to the DGM and that can be published in the news papers, thats it, this will draw the attention of COO MTNL mumbai. However, u do stand the right to persue them in the consumer courts where justice will be served in your benefit.

These things will keep happening over time and there is no end to it. My advice shift to some other reliable ISP. Try your local area cable net.

malhotraraul said:
NO TO CORRUPTION

This exactly not come under Corruption, but a incentives to do the "Right Work on Right Time" & why spends 100's on trying other methods & took stress etc.
vishalk said:
Hi,

Here's what u need to do. Print a letter addressed to the DGM of ur exchange stating the issues u have, make a copy of it like xerox it and goto the exchange. Get in the DGM'S office and tell the guy u want to give this personally to him, make sure he signs and stamps both the copies, wait 7 days, if nothing happens approach them again with a new letter similar content but add that you will press charges against them if the service is not restored to its fullest in 7 days and make sure he signs and stamps it again. Now, once these 7 days go by and if u donot get ur service restored, move the right to information act against them, am sure u'il have a lawyer who can draft a notice to the DGM and that can be published in the news papers, thats it, this will draw the attention of COO MTNL mumbai. However, u do stand the right to persue them in the consumer courts where justice will be served in your benefit.
sbhas2k said:
^ Second that..

7+7=14 days & NO guarantee whether problem will solved. Xerox & typing & other expenses + lawyer fee to draft RTI. Man better contact line man & offer Rs.50/- with 1 cutting chai. Rs.50/- is good investment before shift to other service providers.

Emperor said:
This exactly not come under Corruption, but a incentives to do the "Right Work on Right Time" & why spends 100's on trying other methods & took stress etc.

7+7=14 days & NO guarantee whether problem will solved. Xerox & typing & other expenses + lawyer fee to draft RTI. Man better contact line man & offer Rs.50/- with 1 cutting chai. Rs.50/- is good investment before shift to other service providers.

well tbh u think 50 enuff for this and what garauntee that even after offering chai pani to that guy who does the work the line will work after 24 hours?

i say better do it the legal way and screw their happiness over their fault.

Back