Multi-IM Protocol Applications

Avtar

Adept
So I've been using a lot of these lately, ranging from low key stuff like Miranda to the uber like Trillian Astra.

And yet.

I'm still the most impressed with Pidgin. Low on resources, light, functional, does everything right, the Facebook plugin works like a charm.

*nod*

Digsby of course gave it a close call, but then Digsby keeps giving me network connection errors in the middle of chats, and it tends to slow down the system. Windows lag while maximizing, and then they just lag a lot.

Which one do you use/recommend?

I have been using Digsby for quite some time now and I haven't noticed any performance issues + it has all I need.:hap2:

But looking at the response for Pidgin I am now curious to try it out.

Hmmm.... I gotta try one of these on my desktop, Pidgin and Miranda.

Right now I use my mail and IM stuff on my iBook, and I use Adium... been using it since 4 years now, and never found need to try any other IM app on mac at least.

Tried using Pidgin ... I guess Digsby works better for me.

Digsby is more feature rich than Pidgin I suppose. Also I do not get any network connection error nor is it slow on my PC.

@Gaurish : How does Pidgin being open source help you?

been using Miranda-Im.org for so long now. Started using Pidgin on Linux since it got it's new name. Not very adventurous with software you see - I like my system to be stable :)

ranjitpai said:
@Gaurish : How does Pidgin being open source help you?

1) Being Opensource means it would remain Free whole of its life, not being like other freewares, which starts off as a free ware and later become paid apps.

2) Contributing: Like i want some feature into an open source application, i can request it. as the source code is available, i myself can code the it:hap2: Ex. your work depends on Gmail, which is now free. imagine what it it goes paid?. you just can't change your email id and also can't pay. its just a example

I even can make a customized version of app. like I can add few extra features in pidgin, can call it Gaurish IM:bleh: . Off course Gaurish IM will be Open Source

Overall Being Opensource means Promise of Quality along with Complete Freedom

Gaurish said:
1) Overall Being Opensource means Promise of Quality along with Complete Freedom

How does OpenSource equate with a Promise of Quality?

You could also say that paying for something would mean a promise of quality.
But yeah, OpenSource does certainly mean Complete Freedom, and there's nothing like it :)

alsiladka said:
How does OpenSource equate with a Promise of Quality?

You could also say that paying for something would mean a promise of quality.
But yeah, OpenSource does certainly mean Complete Freedom, and there's nothing like it :)

Anyone anywhere can help in detecting bugs etc and if they like, may even be able to submit fixes. So you have a larger developer community working on the project if its a popular one. Results in better quality code since more defects are discovered/fixed.

Back