Mumbai vs New Orleans. Now which is the third world country??

Viking

Adept
THIS IS WAT MAKES ME A PROUD MUMBAIKAR AND AN INDIAN

A few comparisons..

inches of rain in.....................

new orleans due to hurricane katrina... 18
inches of rain in mumbai (July 27th).... 37.1

population of new orleans... 484,674
population of mumbai...12,622,500

deaths in ..............

new orleans within 48 hours of katrina...100
deaths in mumbai within 48hours of rain.. 37

number of people to be evacuated in...........

new orleans... entire city..wohh
number of people evacuated in mumbai...10,000

Cases of shooting and violence in new orleans...Countless
Cases of shooting and violence in mumbai.. NONE

Time taken for US army to reach .........

new orleans... 48hours
Time taken for Indian army and navy to reach mumbai...12hours

status 48hours later...new orleans is still waiting for relief, army and electricty
status 48hours later..mumbai is back on its feet and is business is as usual

USA...world's most developed nation
India...third world country..

oopss...did i get the last fact wrong???

Bravo...Excellent :clap:... and all those ppl who were getting frustrated about this country...what do they have to say now?

*Thread Rated*

yiippeee!!! I was abt to post a similar thread....

Flashback to 2000.

IC 814 gets hijacked by terrorists and is taken to Kandahar. US laugh at India. Say, that ours is a third world country and security is very lax and all that(Conveniently forgetting that the plane originated in Nepal's Tribhuvan Airport and India did not have much say in the security).

2001 ----- 4 planes hijacked and 2 of them crash into the world's second tallest buildings and one of them crashes into the World's Most Advanced Military's HeadQuarters!!! and one goes down outside some small town....

now?? US --- Third world country???

2000 --- September. Atal Bihar Vajpayee addresses the US Congress and the UN General Assembly. Says that terrorism is not being restricted to India and is spreading....

US and other "developed" countries laugh it off by saying that it is India's way of complaining against Pakistan.

2001 September 11th.... 3000+ people die in US in the biggest co ordinated terrorist attack in the world.

Moral of the story??

US should learn to keep it's mouth shut. Every time they open their mouth, they get screwed.

Thanks Vicky....

I would have definitely started a thread like this soon.

Shows that "advanced" countries are not always what they project themselves to be. There are more things than just going and capturing 2 poor countries and showing off them killing capabilities of your army.

The bonds, the people to people camraderie, the human emotions like pity, sympathy, helpfullness, unselfishness are all more important.

Another thing ....

In Mumbai, when people were stranded on the roads, evryone, chipped in.

Vada Pav sellers, gave free food to hungry people. 5-star and 3 star hotels opened their doors to everyone and gave them free food. Opened all their unoccupied suites to be used bu shivering, wet hungry people.

In New Orleans?? Looting, Arson, rapes, killings....

AAH!!!! JAI HIND!!!

Viking before copying this from somewhere else, go and see the meaning of the word hurricane.

You cannot compare 24 hrs of heavy rain with 1 hour of a hurricane plus there was a break in the flood wall of mississippi.

If a hurricane ever hits mumbai, half of the city will be destroyed.

^^ I back Nikhil .. in the so called "advanced" countries, even their egos is two generations advanced.

But then as hacker said, a hurricane is somethin different than heavy rainfall.. Rain doesnt blow away hundreds of houses.

P.S: my unc is in lousiania and his house has been destroyed :cry:

Viking before copying this from somewhere else, go and see the meaning of the word hurricane.

If you think what's above isn't really relevant or comparable, Compare it to the Tsunami that hit the East Coast not too long back....

The speed with which people responded was amazing....People from all ove the country chipped in with whatever they could've done....

While in the US, this is what's happening:

USATODAY.com - Texas to move Katrina refugees to other states

With thousands of refugees from Hurricane Katrina still pouring into the state, Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Sunday ordered emergency officials to begin ...

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-04-texas-katrina-help_x.htm - 76k - 8 Sep 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

[ More results from www.usatoday.com ]

Reuters AlertNet - CORRECTED - Rapes, killings hit Katrina ...

AlertNet provides news, information and analysis for everyone interested in emergency relief. AlertNet is run by Reuters Foundation.

www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03464940.htm - 66k - 7 Sep 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

I am not trying to criticize anyone here, nor trying to lionize India....it's just that people should acknowledge what is good abt their homeland...we may have many maladies afflicting our country, but there is no dearth of such redeeming factors either

And desert rose was asking my why I changed my colours so soon... It was me who started 2 threads criticising the way things are done in India.

But then this is what I say ----- I may criticize India. Maybe severely at times. but at heart, I am an Indian and these things warm my heart and make me proud to be Indian.

There are good and bad things abt every country. But some things matter more than others.

The spirit of the people is more important than the economy or money or the forex reserves of a country.

US has all the above except unity. No morals. No spirit of togetherness....

@Argus --- Sad abt your uncle.... really really bad luck..... hope he will get his life back together soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh...:ashamed:

Barbara Bush on Hurricane Katrina Refugees

It is, without doubt, the quote of the hour — a remark attributed to ex-first lady and mother-of-the-president Barbara Bush during a visit to the Hurricane Katrina refugee shelter in the Houston Astrodome:

What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.

On a side note, folks in my office today contributed funds ranging from a minimum of 50/- which will go twards the hurricane relief operations ....

We did a similar thing for the Tsunami relief operations, maybe by MOnday, I can post a comparison of the figures collected, but in all probbaility6, the collected funds would be comparable...what I am trying to get at is this....when we do our bit towards others, we do it out of empathy, and not by adopting a condescending attitude towards them.....

Desert Rose said:
Bravo...Excellent :clap:... and all those ppl who were getting frustrated about this country...what do they have to say now?

*Thread Rated*

Well not that I get frustrated about this country but the above illogical comparison will have no bearing on anyone's views about this country.

Nikhil said:
US has all the above except unity. No morals. No spirit of togetherness....

One should not make a comment on such issues sitting way back at home. How can you say that unless you are there. How can you judge them. According to your reasoning there should have been innumerable cases of people killing each other for food. Your morals differ from others' morals then would that make them immoral. If it were not for togetherness then there would have been even higher casualities. All I am saying is dont judge people when you dont have enough evidence to observe them.

Nikhil said:
We are not talking abt the amt of rain. We are talking abt the spirit of Mumbai and Indians.

The spirit of mumbai and India would be better tested in case of a calamity of the scale of new orleans incident, with half the houses blown apart.

Anyway whats most surprising is that a country like America cannot manage to provide enough food for all its calamity struck citizens. And even more that they will take 90 days to completely drain the place.

Well the simple fact is the US is taking too long to respond.

I hope next time there is a disaster here, they are more sympathetic and less supercillious

Well even though intensity of both the natural calamities isnt comparable.....
it just goes to show how much better off we are in terms of 'Humanity'...

During the rains in Mumbai...there were no reports of violence...looting....and other crimes....Ppl gave their everything to help n save others even when they had lost their own families...Doesnt that mean anything??

Even during the Dec 26th Tsunami or the Bhuj Earthquake....how many incidents of violence or crimes were noted? Werent these diasters on a similar scale to hurricane Katrina?

It isnt the size or intensity of the natural disaster that matters....but what matters is how we as people feel for each other and how we stand by each and everyone of our people during such an event!
There is nothing wrong in feeling proud about our own country.....so damm...just be Proud to be an Indian!

Regardless of where it happened; muggin, rapping and looting people who have been affected by a natural disaster is one of the most heinous things and people caught doing so should be shot dead then and there itself.

What bombay went through is peanuts compared to katrina.
Katrina has put new orleans under TWELVE feet of water in many places since it's below sea level.

Blade_Runner said:
Regardless of where it happened; muggin, rapping and looting people who have been affected by a natural disaster is one of the most heinous things and people caught doing so should be shot dead then and there itself.
They were, atleast the ones using guns to loot.
Haven't heard of any rape case though.

What's weird is the whites were 'finding' food while the blacks were looting it as put by a newspaper.

^^ Americans loot the moment they get the opportunity...remember the New York blackout? there was looting reported instantaneously..and hotels forced their inmates to sleep on the road instead :p

Well, we should feel proud of our country.... no doubt....

But to put a dampener on things....

Remember the infamous name of Gautam Goswami?? He is Former Patna District Magistrate and senior IAS officer. He stole crores of rupees meant for flood relief in Bihar.

What sort of a human could do this?? People are starving... kids are starving too and all he cared abt was how much money he could siphon off the relief money.

At least the good thing is that he was caught(surrendered rather). but this has out a black mark against IAS. At one time, this was one of the most prestigious positions... being an IAS officer. But Goswami and many others have destroyed that also....

That is really sad...

But then, these people are less in number. What we saw in Mumbai was really heartening....

And as KingKrool said ---- Hope that next time there is a calamity here, the US should not be so supercilious.....

http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/sep/09aziz.htm

Most observers and analysts were taken aback by the attack launched by United States Congressman Tom Lantos, the highest ranking Democrat on the House International Relations Committee, during the hearing on the US-India nuclear cooperation agreement on Thursday.

In the question and answer session, Lantos also ridiculed Indian External Affairs Minister K Natwar Singh as "dense" and warned with smug arrogance that if India doesn't change its policy toward Iran in sync with US policy, the relationship would "go down the tubes."

Lantos was given wide latitude by US Congressman Henry Hyde, chairman of the panel, to speak for a long as he wanted while strict time limits was imposed for other members of the panel.

"My concern does not relate to the administration. My concern relates to the insensitive thinking that I see coming out of New Delhi," declared Lantos, a California Democrat.

"It was incomprehensible to me that people as sophisticated and knowledgeable as our Indian counterparts should not be aware of how significant their position, vis-a-vis Iran is to this Congress, and, I hope this hearing will make them aware at least tangentially that this may be destroying far more significant relationships than they are having with Tehran unless they become sensitive to our view on that subject."

Referring to the Iranian government as "reckless" he added that Iran was the single most international threat faced by America and the Iranian government was proceeding arrogantly with the development of nuclear weapons.

"Only an imbecile would believe that they are developing a nuclear program for peaceful purposes and it is an insult to the intelligence of Congress that they keep repeating this."

"They do what they do, but to have the Indian foreign minister with respect to his recent meeting with the Iranians to say they really don't care what we think, shows the real denseness that occasionally very intelligent people are burdened with."

"They are brilliant and they are dense. They are brilliant, which is obvious, but they are simply dense because they are incapable of comprehending that other countries have their important concerns."
He said he supported the administration's policy (toward India) but believed the administration would have to make a maximum effort for which "we offer, at least some of us offer our services to help you make the Indians aware of the fact that nothing will fly in this body unless they become as sensitive to their concerns as we have been to theirs."

Lantos said he found Natwar Singh's reported statement in Iran -- "literally sickening, this Stalinist rhetoric which we don't accept from the Indian foreign minister."

Singh is reported to have said during his meeting with the new Iranian president that India 'supports the resolution of Iran's nuclear issue within the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency)framework but opposes sending the file to the UN Security Council.'

Singh is also reported to have lamented the inclination to inject injustice in international relations, reiterating that India's relations with Iran 'is not predicated on positions and views attributed to some governments,' which Lantos said was clearly the US.

He warned that this pattern of dealing with the US will not be productive for India and they (<India) have to be told this in plain English that this great new opening is predicated on reciprocity.

He said not only was India opposing America's views, but also those of Britain, France and Germany. And that if New Delhi did not support Washington's efforts to ostracise Iran, "the goodwill will dissipate."

"They will pay a heavy price for a total disregard of US concerns vis-a-vis Iran. It just will not fly in this body and they need to be told that in plain English, not in diplomatic English and I know there are people in this room who will carry this message."

Another example of someone powerful in the US shooting his mouth off..... and what abt they supplying arms and everything else to a rogue, terrorist state which also 'happens' to be our neighbour?? What abt our concerns?? Are they the only ones in the world who have concerns abt other rogue states??

They have mollycoddled Pak long enough. Every time there is a big terrorist attack, it is revealed that Pakistan has had a hand in it. but still, no action is taken against it.

And after the London attacks, Pakistan washed it's hands off saying that they were British citizens born and brought up in UK. what they failed to mention was that these "british citizens" completed their higher education( MTerr(Masters in Terrorism)) in Pak....

Yup, it was indeed remarkably creditable the way in which we Indians managed to handle the recent disasters.

And my heart does go out for the folks of New Orleans for their terrible ordeal. Have been hearing some unbelievably shocking stuff ! I hope they manage to rebuild the city and rehabilitate all the folks - many of the affected people I gather are kids, blacks and/or underprivileged !

Do remember the great time I spent by the River Walk sipping Cafe du Monde coffee, munching beignets, and listening to soothing jazz.

Managed to find some snaps in my collection - pretty bad in maintaining them ! The pics had to be lifted off my pc by streaming them thru' the USB port from a mini DVCC - so the quality is awful !

The one which shows the birth of New Orleans. IIRC, it was by the Bourbon Street though I could be off.

This is the Creole Queen where you could take a joy ride on the Mississippi !

And this is the bridge across the river shot from Trade Center bldg (??) or whatever. And I do recall seeing the Indian flag at the top of the bldg :) !

Finally a topic to take to heart...perchance to fight

India IS a third world country,...rain and a typhgoon are very different things...I would like to see this "India" with her response once something with the force and power of Katrine hits it...perhaps a tsunami...yeah that should give an idea about what India is like

Being proud of something just because you belong to it is a really old psychological behaviour that goes deep within the regions of the very reason humans strive to achieve and live.

And the tsunami? it didn't even hit the cost some island so far offshore is hardly notable...talk to me when a tsunami hits chennai and THEN we shall see the "Indian Army" respond

As people have stated you can not compare,every crisis that occurs to more sever it is the harsher the psychological effect...perhaps you never contemplated the deeply disturbing trauma of seeing your house and everything in it...maybe 50 years of everything you created being torn apart in front of your eyes and you can't stop it.

Talk to me when the people of Mumbai don't have houses to go home to and relax...talk to me when food is precious ...not shelter...

Your ignorance and blinded patriotism is one of absolute immaturity, you need to be reasonable before judging a city and a crisis you have'nt even been to

Morals? what man made morals and ethics? the ones they teach you at school and things your mom and dad tell you?...is that what we should live by? a construct of man made laws where we have to follow what others say, instead of living it how we want? Have'nt you heard? True freedom is not freedom from prejudice but the RIGHT to BE prejudice...the day that I can walk into a office and say WTF? your muslim? Get out! and the government does nothing I will acknowledge we have progress

"Shows that "advanced" countries are not always what they project themselves to be. There are more things than just going and capturing 2 poor countries and showing off them killing capabilities of your army. "

The US Army will kick the Indian Armys ass in a conventional scenario probably a Nuclear one as well that aside , think of it this way...peoiple have individual opinions and do what they wish, countries are no different.

To the poster of the topic and all people who agree with him/her - You sir, are a moron.

Back