PC Peripherals My computer only starts occasionally! Why is this?

MrMondal

Recruit
My computer only starts occasionally when it feels like it. For example I can not turn it on right now. But after brief period of time it will turn it on when I hit the power button. Sometimes it does not even do that.

What is wrong with my desktop computer? I thought power supply is gone because no post no lights on motherboard and power supply fan also not spinning when computer not turns on.

My setup is a old 1st gen ryzen 3 apu desktop, with Corsair vs450 PSU..

RTX 3070ti for attention .. please help

Attachments

• 20240212_184516.jpg
    20240212_184516.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 56
My computer only starts occasionally when it feels like it.
That sounds like a human. Are you sure you are referring to a computer here ?
Have you done any investigation - clean the dust from contacts, if any, reseat the Ram, tightened contacts, etc. Issue appears to be a loose connection somewhere.

That sounds like a human. Are you sure you are referring to a computer here ?
Have you done any investigation - clean the dust from contacts, if any, reseat the Ram, tightened contacts, etc. Issue appears to be a loose connection somewhere.
Yes bro hahaha definitely sounds like a wife ..

I have disassembled my PC and reassembled it again just in case. But I don't think that's a problem because then pc wouldn't even turn on occasionally also. I am confused about it and ordered a new PSU today.. I don't have access to spare PSU nearby

Since you are saying that the PC is old, there may be a loose connection at the POWER ON switch at the front panel. Try shorting the both the power pins (+ and - of PW) of the system panel connector on the mother board after disconnecting the motherboard to power switch cable on the front panel.
1707923467622.png

Also try shorting the green and anyone of the black pins on 24 pin ATX socket of the motherboard to check if PSU is creating trouble.

1707923739598.png

Have you tried turning it on by shorting the power button pins on the motherboard? Just use a flat head screwdriver to short them. This way you can rule out a faulty pwr button on the case. I had the same issue once.

Faulty ram sticks making bad contact can be one reason this happens, that is why reseating ram often helps. What exactly happens when the pc refuses to turn on? Does the motherboard light come on? Do the CPU fans spin?

Furthermore, you don't actually have a RTX 3070 ti in that case, do you? A 450W PSU would be way too little power for it.

My computer only starts occasionally when it feels like it. For example I can not turn it on right now. But after brief period of time it will turn it on when I hit the power button. Sometimes it does not even do that.

What is wrong with my desktop computer? I thought power supply is gone because no post no lights on motherboard and power supply fan also not spinning when computer not turns on.

My setup is a old 1st gen ryzen 3 apu desktop, with Corsair vs450 PSU..

RTX 3070ti for attention .. please help
I can understand that feeling.
I had similar issues (faulty mobo, ram, psu on my 10 years OLC PC) and it was too frustrating.
Tried best to debug, bought new hardware but finally gave up for a new build.
You might find some of my old threads in this forum (few members tried best to help and very much appreciate till day)

Yes bro hahaha definitely sounds like a wife ..

I have disassembled my PC and reassembled it again just in case. But I don't think that's a problem because then pc wouldn't even turn on occasionally also. I am confused about it and ordered a new PSU today.. I don't have access to spare PSU nearby
Did you try to reseat the CPU?

Have you tried turning it on by shorting the power button pins on the motherboard? Just use a flat head screwdriver to short them. This way you can rule out a faulty pwr button on the case. I had the same issue once.

Faulty ram sticks making bad contact can be one reason this happens, that is why reseating ram often helps. What exactly happens when the pc refuses to turn on? Does the motherboard light come on? Do the CPU fans spin?

Furthermore, you don't actually have a RTX 3070 ti in that case, do you? A 450W PSU would be way too little power for it.
yes tried that. But the issue is there is some light on my motherboard which blinks for the first time when recieving power from the psu, even before starting the computer. The light did not blink. No activity whatsoever, no fan no light not even psu fan spinning

I can understand that feeling.
I had similar issues (faulty mobo, ram, psu on my 10 years OLC PC) and it was too frustrating.
Tried best to debug, bought new hardware but finally gave up for a new build.
You might find some of my old threads in this forum (few members tried best to help and very much appreciate till day)
yeah bro i am also thankful for the help and suggestions here. But could not start right now. I will try again sometimes later tonight

yes tried that. But the issue is there is some light on my motherboard which blinks for the first time when recieving power from the psu, even before starting the computer. The light did not blink. No activity whatsoever, no fan no light not even psu fan spinning
Sounds like either a dead PSU or a dead motherboard. If it was ram/cpu, at least the motherboard light would be on. I guess you will know for sure when you try the new PSU.

Sounds like either a dead PSU or a dead motherboard. If it was ram/cpu, at least the motherboard light would be on. I guess you will know for sure when you try the new PSU.
I will receive my new PSU at 21th this month from Amazon, probably before that. Meanwhile I wouldn't try anything more, if things goes even worse..

You can try using a paper clip or wire to short the power and ground pins of the psu as described below. If the fan spins, then that is a hint that the fault is with the motherboard. If you have a multimeter, you can check the 12, 5 and 3.3V rails of the psu too.

Seems like a bios problem to me Did you update your bios??
I did update bios atleast 7months ago

You can try using a paper clip or wire to short the power and ground pins of the psu as described below. If the fan spins, then that is a hint that the fault is with the motherboard. If you have a multimeter, you can check the 12, 5 and 3.3V rails of the psu too.

I will try it today, thanks man

Yup! It was the dead PSU. Working fine with new PSU.

Btw tell me if it's okay to run my PC without proper earthing. USB port and rare io ports shocks me pretty well when I touch them

Back