Laptops My Dell xps m1330 gives me electric shocks

100khz

Disciple
while its plugged for charging today my xps is in a different mood altogether.. its giving me shocks.. after about 2 months since i purchased this baby, it worked fine up till now.. n today i started getting shock..

my floor is carpeted, so i thought it should earth perhaps.:bleh: but its giving me irritating piercing tiny shocks continuously..

sometimes i have jerk to my hand off the palm rest metal area.. and sometimes the metal corners give out really bold shocks..

not that it can electrocute me.. but u never know.. :eek:hyeah:

jk.. but there have been people complaining about this issue cos of 2 pin adapters being not earthed properly, n had been replaced by dell with a 3 pin adapter..

mine is 3 pin only.. n it never gave shocks untill today.. its been 2 months since i got this laptop..

y me god y me..

If sitting Try wearing sleepers while working on your Lappy. I think it has more to do with Build quality of laptop than anyother factor. My compaq V2000 Gives me shocks, Whereas my HP 6320 works fine.

AFAIK ,any device with a 3pin plug/adapter is less likely to give you a shock compared to the 2pin types(eg: laptop adapter)...

Not sure why you are experiencing the problem?

Try earthing it by other means..

Try wearing sleepers while working on your Lappy

Slippers! The simplest solution.

That's what I do..

Used to have similar experience long back,if I touch the metal parts of my PC,would get bold shocks.Opened up the switch board to find a dead n fried lizard!removed it and everything was back to normal.Anyhow,first try another plug point an see if you get shocks again.

Dont avoid the problem :p find a solution :)

Did you plug it in a different electrical socket today? Check earthing for the socket if its proper.

Try the same at 2-3 places including a friends house. If its consistent, simple call up Dell and get them to replace it. If its reproducible consistently, they will.

Lazy bums call dell..:p
Tell them your xyz relative got electrocuted and u want compensation along with the laptop getting repaired..:eek:hyeah:

Party Monger said:
Tell them your xyz relative got electrocuted and u want compensation along with the laptop getting repaired..:eek:hyeah:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

First check with other sockets, If its problem with the lappy then i second Party Monger's suggestion.And yeah dont forget to give a treat with the compensation you'll get :p

Party Monger said:

i agree with party . whats so difficult in calling dell screw them good for giving you a defective product :eek:hyeah:and if that dont work you can try posting here for a solution perhaps!:tongue:

hmmm.. its the same socket actually i have been plugging my lappy since last 2 months.. never experienced shocks..

thats y i said my lappy was in a mood to give shocks.. later in the day n today i am not getting shocks.. perhaps the lappy knows that i have complained here.. its quite n silent.. no shocks at all.. smart guy..

another idea to wear slippers is good.. i now take slippers to office.. take off my shoes n wear slippers then work..

i wonder y dell does not ship slippers with their systems.. having brand tag DELL.. :bleh:

i should either claim them or get this issue fixed..

my home does not have earthing at all.. its darwin's law working in our switch boards.. applicable for all electrical appliances..

but lets see.. the shocks are not coming right now.. will notice if they repeat, shall write here n complain at dell..

and since the shocks were happening, my hair style has changed all of a sudden.. some benefit at last..

100khz, you might want to let Dell know about this... some M1330's that went through board+gpu replacements (due to overheating) started shocking.

100khz said:
hmmm.. its the same socket actually i have been plugging my lappy since last 2 months.. never experienced shocks..

thats y i said my lappy was in a mood to give shocks.. later in the day n today i am not getting shocks.. perhaps the lappy knows that i have complained here.. its quite n silent.. no shocks at all.. smart guy..

another idea to wear slippers is good.. i now take slippers to office.. take off my shoes n wear slippers then work..

i wonder y dell does not ship slippers with their systems.. having brand tag DELL.. :bleh:

i should either claim them or get this issue fixed..

my home does not have earthing at all.. its darwin's law working in our switch boards.. applicable for all electrical appliances..

but lets see.. the shocks are not coming right now.. will notice if they repeat, shall write here n complain at dell..

and since the shocks were happening, my hair style has changed all of a sudden.. some benefit at last..

have u connectd the lap to a scoket powered by an inverter???if so hwenever the current goes and the inverter is on it will give shocks...same happening with me here!!!!:)

Well any appliance giving you shocks only when connected to a socket is almost invariably a grounding issue. So calling up Dell and giving one of the customer care rep's a hard time wont get you anywhere. I suggest you get the grounding checked.

the whole thing is that now after changing the socket where i put the charger, i am not getting any shocks..

but y this issue happened in first place? my socket or the whole connection of electricity in my room has no earth wire.. but if it does not have a earth wire, y i didn't get any shocks from day 1 i purchased the lappy.. i used the same socket to charge it all the time untill now i find it giving shocks to me..

n yes, i have changed the socket to other one which is an inverter socket.. n am getting no shocks...

i think i should report it to dell.. cos as someone said it can be due to over heating of gpu + board.. may be..

although i have heated the board+gpu on other occasions but did not get any shocks..

i am not seeing a steady trend here.. shocks happened from the socket all of a sudden but not from day one..

secondly, y the hell m1330 heat so much.. i mean i have to leave AC on just for Mr. M1330.. or is it fine that it should heat..?? well its monsoon season and its not that hot either.. we are all fine with just a fan in home..

or may be its normal that it heats this much.. i should get used to it..

Xanthor said:
Well any appliance giving you shocks only when connected to a socket is almost invariably a grounding issue. So calling up Dell and giving one of the customer care rep's a hard time wont get you anywhere. I suggest you get the grounding checked.
would definitely second that!!!!!:)

100khz said:
Sure..DO contact dell once you are fully electrocuted..

It isnt really isnt worth bothering a dell rep just cause your getting electrocuted small time everynow and then..:rofl:
100khz said:
since the shocks were happening, my hair style has changed all of a sudden.. some benefit at last..

Oh yeah den soon u'l be a big hit with all the chicks in heaven(or hell):eek:hyeah:

Back