OC & Modding My first complete WC setup!

Hey guys,

Have had an itch to upgrade for the past few months and I finally made the plunge. Since the intel platform was way too expensive and at an extent, pointless, I started looking at monitors. Even there, indian prices were way too much and a big turn off. With the launch of the EK Predator, I started getting interested in watercooling. Soon after, figured its actually not very difficult to create a custom one. So decided to get some parts from performance pcs and asked a colleague to carry them to bangalore for me. They came in last week, so here is a check in of all the components ill be using:

1. Swiftech H220X watercooling kit
2. EK-FC780 GTX Ti GPU waterblock
3. 6x Monsoon freecenter compression fittings (matte black, 3/8in x 5/8in)
4. 2x 45* monsoon angle rotary fittings
5. 1x 90* koolance compression fitting
6. 6 feet mayhems clear tubing
7. 1x EK fill port (matte black)
8. 1x Mayhems Pastel Extreme(white)

As for my current PC config:
1. Intel i5 2500k
2. ASRock Z77 e-itx motherboard
3. Zotac GTX 780 Ti Amp! (thank you zotac!)
4. NZXT S340 Chassis (white)[DOUBLEPOST=1449410866][/DOUBLEPOST]Here are the pictures...

Here is the H220X..
ajuemp.jpg

9fyyhx.jpg

28u6421.jpg

2ho8u45.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1449410967][/DOUBLEPOST]Its a fairly well received cooler known for its performance and quality. Sadly, seems like the liquid inside is very very dirty...

2qx2d81.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1449411524][/DOUBLEPOST]next in is the GPU waterblock from EK...
2a4x2rn.jpg

22b0k4.jpg

Here are the monsoon fittings..
15gf9z9.jpg

2q0omps.jpg

2vnktxd.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1449413137][/DOUBLEPOST]
28wmbnn.jpg

n5fnyb.jpg

212i8vn.jpg

j9vxx0.jpg

i3w70i.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1449413238][/DOUBLEPOST]
124g806.jpg

Last edited:
Nice stuff. Cant wait to see the finished build.
Is there any major pros of the H220X over the original H220?

I don't know much about the original H220, but for starters, it had a patent infringement case which made them stop their sales.
The H220X though, has a proper pump, the MCP30, which, from what I understand is the same as the MCP50X with a lower max speed of 3000 rpm (vs 5000). It is PWM controlled, so not sure if that is better than the H220. The Stock tubing is rather short, so it can be a good/bad thing depending on where you will be mounting it.
The Apogee waterblock is probably better than the other what the H220 came with. It overall might look better to some because of the LEDs and stuff.

Will upload the pictures soon, I had done the installation. But there was something bad that happened... :(

I don't know much about the original H220, but for starters, it had a patent infringement case which made them stop their sales.But there was something bad that happened... :(

I didn't know of the patent infringement. Patents sure must be complicated with more cpu h20 cooler companies than ever.
And i hope that the "something bad happened" is not leakage!

I don't know much about the original H220, but for starters, it had a patent infringement case which made them stop their sales.
The H220X though, has a proper pump, the MCP30, which, from what I understand is the same as the MCP50X with a lower max speed of 3000 rpm (vs 5000). It is PWM controlled, so not sure if that is better than the H220. The Stock tubing is rather short, so it can be a good/bad thing depending on where you will be mounting it.
The Apogee waterblock is probably better than the other what the H220 came with. It overall might look better to some because of the LEDs and stuff.

Will upload the pictures soon, I had done the installation. But there was something bad that happened... :(

Basically asetek has a patent on block plus pump combos as seen in most AIOs. So they are suing everyone else to oblivion.

^i just finished reading some articles. Asetek seems to be on a suing spree. CoolIT, CM, swiftech. Its ridiculous. Its like saying the Wright Brothers suing every aeroplane-manufacturer out there. The funny thing with the patent/legal thing here is they are restricted only to the US. Swiftech can still sell the patent-affected coolers in other countries.

Weirdly enough, it's super easy to buy the H220 in the US (from ncix.ca)

The H220's waterblock is supposed to be a version of the Apogee XT.

Nice choice of parts :) Especially the Ek water block. Although I would have preferred a separate rad, pump and block, but it's good for a first time build.

Does the pastel also contain biocide? Not seeing that in your list.

Weirdly enough, it's super easy to buy the H220 in the US (from ncix.ca)

The H220's waterblock is supposed to be a version of the Apogee XT.
I assume you mean the H220-x which the OP purchased. This one doesn't infringe as the pump is not a part of the block. The pump is simply a rebadged Laing.

Had been in the custom loop business a while ago. However got out of it as I found it to be rather cumbersome in the long run.

@toxicdrift thanks buddy.
Took the pics in the morning, will post them when I am back home later today.

I did look into a separate pump and res, but it was about $100 more expensive than this (EK's L240 rev 2.0 kit, $225). So for now its a compromise, I can at any time add a new res even with this setup. I think the pump is fine, should not have flow issues as long as I have a few rads and single GPU.

@dovakhiin the pastel is actually nano fluid, its a colloid, has small particles (40nm-60nm) in it so it should inhibit algae growth. They recommend not to use any additives with pastels. Also, just in case anyone else might be interested in using them, Mayhems pastel + color dyes have a lot of issues with the fluid changing color. So I guess stay away from this. I will let you know if my white too changes color (some reports of it turning yellowish in a few months).[DOUBLEPOST=1449566372][/DOUBLEPOST]@Chaos the MCP50X is not a rebranded laing, the MCP35X is. The one on the the 220X too, is a proprietary from what I understand, as they are virtually the same.

I can at any time add a new res even with this setup.
That is why i like the H220. Can be customized easily.
Btw isn't the discoloring of the colored-coolant after prolong usage normal? I thought that it was. Or poor quality liquid?[DOUBLEPOST=1449575119][/DOUBLEPOST]
Had been in the custom loop business a while ago. However got out of it as I found it to be rather cumbersome in the long run.

you mean it literally or? I'd like to know more.

So apparently the issue with the pastels is different. They seem to be very sensitive to pH levels and if you don't flush your system properly, the color changes. Color change != discoloring, so yellow turns brown, red too turns into a darker brown.

Nice one @rajan1311! I don't know much about the H220X but are you supposed to loop the GPU block as well into the same H220X rad? Or did you get another rad that you had not mentioned in the post?

Also, has anyone else imported any of the water cooling components? if yes, could you guys please post the item with cost/shipping/customs?

Ok so I guess I should have mentioned this before, the loop configuration is:
Pump --> CPU --> GPU --> Rad --> Reservoir --> Pump

I did not get another radiator as it is a very tight fit on the rear 120mm fan area, so not sure if I should risk some $50 for it. But there is probably a need as just a 240 rad is probably not enough for both CPU and GPU.[DOUBLEPOST=1449581799][/DOUBLEPOST]So here are the pics... :)

10if08z.jpg

20sswmc.jpg

2wbw4g8.jpg

28a3r0x.jpg

Mounting the block on the GPU really took some time.. but I think its worth it... :)
Problem #1:
sd34vp.jpg

The connection from the CPU to the GPU would ideally need a 90* fitting, but I did not have a spare. When I was planning, I initially though a 45* fitting should be fine, but was clearly wrong. Anyway, monsoon 90* fittings were out of stock anyway, so had no chance there. Will try getting one soon(mostly in jan). Also, this was the only real way I could mount it, though it looks a little weird. The tube is slightly kinked, very slightly though. The fitting also comes very very close to the graphics card.
6yzjid.jpg

Ok so I guess I should have mentioned this before, the loop configuration is:
Pump --> CPU --> GPU --> Rad --> Reservoir --> Pump

I did not get another radiator as it is a very tight fit on the rear 120mm fan area, so not sure if I should risk some $50 for it. But there is probably a need as just a 240 rad is probably not enough for both CPU and GPU.
Ahh ok. I'd definitely recommend getting another rad because you are pushing it from the heated cpu. I'm pretty sure your S340 would support a 120mm atleast on the top if not the rear.

Problem #2:
The dirt I had mentioned in my first post, that came with the H220X. I tried to clean it best I can. I drained the whole setup, cleaned components individually with distilled water, but after about an hour of running, I saw dirt getting deposited on the inner walls of the tubing. It took me over 2 hours to fill the system, even with my convenient fill port system. So will probably clean the system again and either clean or change the tubing when I get my angled fitting.

jzfudt.jpg

10mol80.jpg

The color is not noticeable in the pics, but very distinct in real life.[DOUBLEPOST=1449582731][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ahh ok. I'd definitely recommend getting another rad because you are pushing it from the heated cpu. I'm pretty sure your S340 would support a 120mm atleast on the top if not the rear.
Nop. All my Sata, USB 3.0 headers which are at the top of my board will get blocked. Even a slim 25mm rad would hit my RAM. Its a mini ITX motherboard.

Back