My latest acquisition, an ICY BOX

congrats dude! Thats one sweer all-in-one device!

Me too (and i guess a lot of others here too) are in search for a good torrent capable device.

@faheem, no worries... hope this explains it:

1. Yes, the NAS box is connected to my wireless router - so any device connected to the router can access data on the NAS box which acts as a simple file server.

2. The NAS box is doing all the downloading on the hard drives installed, so the downloading is independent of all computers connected to the network/device.

It shouldn't be too confusing because it's like a download PC/file server, minus the PC - or you could say it is an external HDD that can do some fancy things :)

^^ wow thanks a lot for da details..

lookin at all da stuff this small ICY box can do, its a must have thing..for all download freaks like me .

even i had trouble understanding the concept and utility of these thingies. then i got more rigs at home ,got a job, and got used to using fileservers at work.

cant wait to get one ..

andrew327 said:
Even i was thinking of buying a NAS Drive last year for temp purpose, but ended up using low end rig for the same.

This is usually best bang for the buck not to mention recycling lower end hardware which consumes less power anyway. Sticking it in a case with space for Hds will give you much more life.

RiO said:
£98 for the Icy Box + drives + shipping. Both boxes have the same features but the Icy Box cost me £75 lesser, and it matches the 23MBps-read and 15MBps-write speeds of the DLink.

Not following wrt to what those speeds refer to ?

What software do you use to manage data + Music ?

..the brains of the operation as opposed to the brawn, which could be anything on any oS on any hardware.

Cranium 1.0 only gets so far :D

RiO said:
@faheem, no worries... hope this explains it:

1. Yes, the NAS box is connected to my wireless router - so any device connected to the router can access data on the NAS box which acts as a simple file server.

2. The NAS box is doing all the downloading on the hard drives installed, so the downloading is independent of all computers connected to the network/device.

It shouldn't be too confusing because it's like a download PC/file server, minus the PC - or you could say it is an external HDD that can do some fancy things :)

How is it connected to your wireless router? Through an ethernet cable?

Is it connected to your PC via USB? Or does it have an IP address?

If your NAS box is doing the downloading, I guess you will have to start up a downloading torrent client s/w like uTorrent. Right? Now where does this client reside? In the NAS box firmware?

So, do you login to your NAS box via HTTP using IE/FF? Also, what kind of client do you use for download?

Congrats on the purchase, so I presume it has a web based Gui ?

Hmm one of these days should work on a project to convert an old comp into a NAS server....

sydras said:
How is it connected to your wireless router? Through an ethernet cable?

Is it connected to your PC via USB? Or does it have an IP address?

If your NAS box is doing the downloading, I guess you will have to start up a downloading torrent client s/w like uTorrent. Right? Now where does this client reside? In the NAS box firmware?

So, do you login to your NAS box via HTTP using IE/FF? Also, what kind of client do you use for download?
It is connected via an Ethernet cable to his wireless router.

And the NAS box has an inbuilt torrent client and has a web based management interface where you can add, start, stop torrents etc.

Congrats Rio. Excellent purchase. :)

varkey's right on all counts, and like any other device the NAS box is assigned an IP address automatically or you can manually assign one.

sydras, the GUI is accessible via any browser... here's what it looks like, so you get the general idea:

blr_p, those are the access speeds to the hard drives set up in your NAS box - RAID 0 should be faster, but I haven't tested it. My drives are set up in Span RAID.

Oh..so it is assigned an IP then.

I guess you access your BTorrent client via IE/FF, start it up and then shut down your PC. Cool. Thx Rio :).

Congrats. That's really cool pricing. I'd definitely get one if somebody on TE ordered on of these (no credit card:( ).
I've given up on getting something like that here. Was thinking of building one myself running on Linux. Have been googling stuff on Linux for the past few days but not getting anywhere.
hey, KMD, u reading this :hap2: ?

and it matches the 23MBps-read and 15MBps-write speeds of the DLink.

RiO said:
blr_p, those are the access speeds to the hard drives set up in your NAS box - RAID 0 should be faster, but I haven't tested it. My drives are set up in Span RAID.

Something does not seem right or is this over Wi-Fi ?

The drives in there are what, Sata, whats its throughput ;)

Back