My new HTPC remote ( psst it's a kb too! )

Sei

Skilled
I'd been searching for a KB + mouse combo for my HTPC for a long time. I didn't want to buy the regular wireless combo and was looking for something small that looks trendy enough to be in the living room too.

One of the options I had was the Logitech Dinovo Mini which costs upward of 6k. I was not going to spend that much without evaluating other options.

Tadaaaa! DX to the rescue!

Presenting to you the wireless wonder! Let the pics do the talking for now. Will talk about the usability after that. :)

43937942.jpg

I tore off a bit of the packing material in my hurry.. :ashamed:

66024897.jpg

73528167.jpg

36324827.jpg

24366041.jpg

dsc02086medium.jpg

dsc02087medium.jpg

dsc02088medium.jpg

dsc02090medium.jpg

dsc02091medium.jpg

dsc02092medium.jpg

dsc02093medium.jpg

dsc02095medium.jpg

dsc02096medium.jpg

dsc02097medium.jpg

dsc02103medium.jpg

dsc02105medium.jpg

dsc02107medium.jpg

dsc02106medium.jpg

Now for the final surprise. The pics below give you an idea of its size.

dsc02098medium.jpg

dsc02101medium.jpg

It fits snugly in your hand. With two hands you can type as you do on an any QWERTY keypad mobile.

Oh yeah, one more thing.. It is backlit!
:eek:hyeah: ( pardon my noob PS skills )

backlitandnot.jpg

This pic doesn't do justice. Actually it is quite bright and can be used in complete darkness. It auto shuts off after 4-5 secs if not used.

The link for the product:

DealExtreme: $40.32 Handheld Rechargeable 2.4G Mini Wireless Keyboard with TrackPad and Red Laser

Plus points:
1. Very sleek and good looking. The finish makes it look like an expensive high-end device.
2. Rechargeable via USB. Li-Ion battery inside.
3. Backlit!
4. Shortcuts work just as welll. I've tried upto 3 buttons. Fn + Ctrl + E opens up explorer. Fn + Ctrl is Windows key here.
5.Its got a laser pointer too.
6. Costs around 1/4th of Logitech Dinovo Mini

All in all, a must buy for all HTPC owners!

awesome i love this feature

p.s can your please post more photos and u should try your hand at your nearest HTPC :) and let see how comfortable at your hand depend on typing at mini keyboard with one finger each

Wow.. that looks superb to say the least :)

Congrats...
PS - the paint used for the keys sort of has a cheapish look to it (maybe thats just the pictures not doing justice to it, though I have to admit you've clicked some great pictures as well :D). The rest of it does look fantastically built.

Congratz :)

How is the track pad performance ? also is typing (general chatting and other usage) comfortable ?

Damages in INR including shipping and customs(if any) ?

jags1987 said:
Congrats Sei:)
Looks cool :cool2:

6pack said:
congrats :)
Thats a really tiny kb!

Thanks guys!
stalker said:
Wow.. that looks superb to say the least :)

Congrats...
PS - the paint used for the keys sort of has a cheapish look to it (maybe thats just the pictures not doing justice to it, though I have to admit you've clicked some great pictures as well :D). The rest of it does look fantastically built.

Nah, I guess the pics might be giving you the impression. The paint is pretty decent. Much much better than most of the chinese goods I've seen in the market.

PS: Thanks for complimenting on the pics. There's definitely room for improvement, but I've finally devised some tricks to get decent pics out of my Sony cam. :p
roxysmile said:
Congratz :)
How is the track pad performance ? also is typing (general chatting and other usage) comfortable ?
Damages in INR including shipping and customs(if any) ?
The trackpad is great once you adjust the mouse sensitivity from the Control Panel. The typing is good since the keys are a bit raised from the surface so you get the assurance that you have pressed something. :p

I've linked my credit card to my paypal account so it cost me Rs. 1900 including conversion fees, payment fees etc. No customs, no octroi and no shipping charges apart from that. Everything is covered in the above amount.

connect said:
omg awesome stuff , wats d range of this device in meters , will it work from a distance of 10 feet from pc
It will work without an issues. :)

Ah so it has finally arrived from DX. Congrats! :D

Makes sense to invest in such a device compared to a KB and mouse. Adds the oomph factor to it esp. when friends and relatives drop in at the place. :p

Desecrator said:
Ah so it has finally arrived from DX. Congrats! :D

Makes sense to invest in such a device compared to a KB and mouse. Adds the oomph factor to it esp. when friends and relatives drop in at the place. :p
Thanks!

It came pretty fast too. Ordered on 26th July. Reached on 5th August!

^ Make a paypal account, if you don't have one. Link it via your credit card or bank account. Clearly explained on the site itself. Now, go to the link I gave above and order! :)

Nice looking gadget!

I settled for a Streamzap for something like the same budget. Having paired it with Eventghost, it is better than going up to the PC each time to use the USB mouse connected. But using the mouse with the Streamzap is definitely not what you want to do regulary :).

Back