My sibling has gambling issues. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fetch

Recruit
Apparently my sibling used my credit card for 1L, and used it on a gambling website(Bet365). She completed KYC using my ID and credit card details. Is there anything that I can do to reverse the transactions by contacting the bank customer care department? Is there any advice that I can give to her to control this sudden urge to gamble whenever I am not present at home? Other that, is there any advice that I can give to her to improve her skills on such websites, so that next time I don't get such huge bills for a stupid website? Anyway how is the indian government promoting gambling on apps like PayTM First Games, Bet365 pop ups, adda 52, and youtube ADs? If crytocurrency is banned, then access to such malicious websites, and transactions happening from user bank's end to the website's domestic bank account should be blocked for all purposes, if not the website itself. Why hasn't the authority not taken any action on this?

Its illegal only in a few states, otherwise most of the states dont have any issues with these gambling sites/apps.

Write to the customer care of the app she has used and explain your issue. I doubt they will take it up, but you can try. As far as your sibling is concerned, let her not have access to the cards. If you cut off the source, she will stop by herself.

Read public gambling act 1867 it prohibits to run any gambling house and applicable to Union of India.This is old act don't have penalties for online gambling or there is no mention of such things in it.In some states govt have banned them by bringing state laws or amendments in gambling act.This is pure illegal full scale gambling.But every law in india have loopholes and people are taking advantage of those loophole.when enough people will get ripped off their money and commit suicide and media will highlight it govt will amend it until everyone is getting their share why they should bother.otherwise one line is sufficient to bring all these under ipc.just change the definition of gambling house add to it gambling trough electronic methods,wireless method and cards/machines are in any format uncluding virtual cards and virtual slot machine.At present there are limitations to book a person under gambling act police needs full set of cards and cash money above a limit or a gambling slot machine etc in real form a virtual things doesn't comes under gambling act.Gambling is worst for a society and families.if someone have bad habbit of anything it has a limit to cause damage.but in gambling there is no limit loss can reach several lakhs in an hour.Tell her to stop otherwise she will make life hell for every family member not just her and this habit is most difficult to get rid off.And people who have received highest honor in India are doing advertisements for such gambling sites.

It was a deliberately made transaction and not in any error so highly doubt your money will get reversed etc.
Your sibling requires immediate counseling as today its gambling tomorrow it might be drugs and xyz rackets!

Also, bring this all to her parents notice and also inquire in her friends circle as to who all do gambling and from where did they caught this habit...hostel, college etc.

Just do this all gently so that she doesnt get hurt yet get support from her family, friends and to come out of this situation.

Last edited:
It was a deliberately made transaction and not in any error so highly doubt your money will get reversed etc.
Your sibling requires immediate counseling as today its gambling tomorrow it might be drugs and xyz rackets!

Also, bring this all to her parents notice and also inquire in her friends circle as to who all do gambling and from where did they caught this habit...hostel, college etc.

Just do this all gently so that she doesnt get hurt yet get support from her family, friends and to come out of this.
I agree, money can't be reversed unless you lodge a complaint against the sibling to the police for illegal transaction, which I don't think you can or should.

She needs a proper counseling tbh as this was a huge amount which wasn't her, also careful observation too.

May this all settle for good for the OP, his sibling and the whole family. [emoji120]

You wont be able to reverse the transactions made.. Its gone and wont be recovered how hard you try.
Diverge her to virtual gaming for a time being, Counseling etc. might help..
I would suggest immediate password changes/2fa etc. measures for entire family baking/finance or any other medium to restrict access to money.

Don't rely on forum advice.

Talk to a competent lawyer. Law doesn't necessarily follow common morality or layman's idea of personal responsibility. For example, if she is a minor, the company might be liable for letting a child place bets.

Talk to a competent lawyer. Law doesn't necessarily follow common morality or layman's idea of personal responsibility. For example, if she is a minor, the company might be liable for letting a child place bets.
Sorry but, You cannot prove in court of law that a minor used credit card for gambling etc. Unless OP wants to take legal actions against family member..

Card was authorized to an adult and as per banking regulations you should not share your banking details (any kind) with anyone.
It is card holders responsibility.. and the girl is sibling.

So you think all suggestions were vague and invalid? And forums are mere way of some timepass fun?
Sorry but, You cannot prove in court of law that a minor used credit card for gambling etc. Unless OP wants to take legal actions against family member..

Card was authorized to an adult and as per banking regulations you should not share your banking details (any kind) with anyone.
It is card holders responsibility.. and the girl is sibling.
This is true as op will find himself in a huge trouble and this been a women centric country where there is hardly any dignity for a man, he might face all sort of charges like forcing sibling into betting for self-gains, unethical way of earning money on someones name etc. You all know how pathetic is our legal esp. police dept.

As for now, you can change your credit card credentials by getting replacement cards. Tell your banks that you lost the card.

Sometimes one learns only by experience, even with family members.

As suggested above, get her some counseling - your/parents' counseling may not be effective as a third party's.

With the availability of UPI, IMPS, 24x7 RGTS money transfer is no longer an issue.

If a family member really needs a card - get an add-on card, control its limits - including online usage, etc. That will protect your pocket from future shocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back