Storage Solutions NAS with independent access to disks

Anything less than 500 MB/s is painfully slow once you get used to SSDs and have to deal with huge files. Two users cannot stream large files from a single mechanical HDD reliably.

Local copying is a different story - I get 700 MB/s + on my laptop - the question was what purpose would it serve on a NAS?

office setup are a different ballgame - But purely for a NAS setup for home usage , After a significant amount of time and money spent, I have finally settled down on the principal of being happy with a 30 MB/s throughput on wireless and 50MB/s on wired..
For my home usage (and I guess for 99%+ use cases) , it is more than good - large sized Local file copying to laptop/device is required only when you want to copy a movie etc when you are going travelling. and even then, a bunch of Gigs take a few minutes
While streaming, these bandwidths are more than adequate to support even high bit rate 4K files.

WHich is why the question on that 1% use case of trying to obtain such speeds on a NAS and to what end?

Local copying is a different story - I get 700 MB/s + on my laptop - the question was what purpose would it serve on a NAS?

office setup are a different ballgame - But purely for a NAS setup for home usage , After a significant amount of time and money spent, I have finally settled down on the principal of being happy with a 30 MB/s throughput on wireless and 50MB/s on wired..
For my home usage (and I guess for 99%+ use cases) , it is more than good - large sized Local file copying to laptop/device is required only when you want to copy a movie etc when you are going travelling. and even then, a bunch of Gigs take a few minutes
While streaming, these bandwidths are more than adequate to support even high bit rate 4K files.

WHich is why the question on that 1% use case of trying to obtain such speeds on a NAS and to what end?

700 MB/s - what are you running, PCIe SSDs? Thats like saturating a SATA 6Gbps line with a 10% overhead!

700 MB/s - what are you running, PCIe SSDs? Thats like saturating a SATA 6Gbps line with a 10% overhead!
I guess its a PCIe - Apparently optimized speeds are supposedly better
these speeds were measured now with the system uptime at 11 days and a bunch of apps open and running

I get 30 odd on the wireless and like 70 - 80MBps on the wired network, on my Synology NAS. 700MBps is just some wishful thinking.

These are local speeds - My real network speeds are exactly like yours.. - That's why the question that I asked was asked :)

Edit: Tested synthetic iperf on this laptop since i hadn't checked before- It actually hits 500mbps (~80 MB/s) on wireless

Attachments

• readspeed.jpg
    readspeed.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 172
  • writespeed.jpg
    writespeed.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 144
  • wifi_throughput.jpg
    wifi_throughput.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I guess its a PCIe - Apparently optimized speeds are supposedly better
these speeds were measured now with the system uptime at 11 days and a bunch of apps open and running

These are local speeds - My real network speeds are exactly like yours.. - That's why the question that I asked was asked :)

Edit: Tested synthetic iperf on this laptop since i hadn't checked before- It actually hits 500mbps (~80 MB/s) on wireless

PCIe SSDs on both ends?

PCIe SSDs on both ends?
No, those speeds were from the NAS running iperf (probably resides in memory) so there really is no I/O bottleneck on the server side
On the primary drive on the NAS hooked to the SATA port, I got 50MB/s in close proximity,
Realistically, I get 25-35 on wifi ac and 4-15 (all MB/s) on wifi n depending on location

The wired housing in my house is old and ports in most rooms fall back to 100mbps yielding 8/9 MB/s except one that hits 60/70
Almost all locations have no issues with 1080p streaming on laptops or even phones except that the weaker zones artifact at times while seeking - although that is more of a problem with the dual floor construction and RCC playing havoc with 802.11

4K playback in the living room is on a wired port which uses an old cable yielding 100mbps but it works flawless even with high bitrates and 10bit color 4k files (hevc)

On the rare ocasion I actually copy/move large files, all I need to do is sit on the dining table which is close to the kitchen rack on which the paraphernalia sits on (No, really - the bananapi board and the drive exteriors are in fact all full of gunk now with 2+ years of breathing cooking fumes)

To be honest, I have zero complaints with what is a hastily cobbled solution - which is why the curiosity about the thread and the diverse use cases that others may have (for a home network)

Last edited:
As I said before, I have no need for RAID. I just need a bunch of disks with speeds around 100 MB/s over the Network.

In any case, I put my build on hold for the time being as I am staying quite busy. Will get back to it after a while.

Need some help with deciding a PSU for my NAS. Must be able to accommodate some 3-4 HDDs+1-2 pen driver. Will be installing one or two fans - maybe 120 mm ones. Will be on an Atom (MI NAS 25) and using Xpenology.

For the time being, am using an old VIP 600W PSU to power the following

Mi NAS 25 with 2GB DDR3 SODIMM running XPENOLOGY
2x WD Purple 3TB HDDs in SHR

Connected to my laptop which has an SSD, via a Gigabit Switch. Copied CentOS 7 ISO which was around 7GB size. Got speeds of 100MBps+ (Mostly 110 MBps). Even when copying smaller TV shows, got good speeds as well, ranging from 80 MBps to 110 MBps.

Planning to upgrade to a 6 HDD setup from the 2 HDD setup.

Update : I cannot connect an existing internal HDD with data and access it without doing some shell commands, which is a big disappointment for me. Secondly, using an old USB sound card and with a package called Sound Station, can play music on it directly without needing another device - but it plays music on the device only so far and not from any other device - it also does not detect the onboard sound card.

Cloud Sync works, but it stores files on the root of my OneDrive, which is an issue for me. I have an Office 365 Personal account, so have a TB of space. This seems to be a Synology issue.

Update : I cannot connect an existing internal HDD with data and access it without doing some shell commands, which is a big disappointment for me. Secondly, using an old USB sound card and with a package called Sound Station, can play music on it directly without needing another device - but it plays music on the device only so far and not from any other device - it also does not detect the onboard sound card.

Cloud Sync works, but it stores files on the root of my OneDrive, which is an issue for me. I have an Office 365 Personal account, so have a TB of space. This seems to be a Synology issue.

Any spcific reason to use Xpenology? - Normal distributions such as openmediavault or even ubuntu as NAS will have far better support (and possibily stability)
Your first problem seems to be an issue with the fstab - On other distributions, it would have been an instant fix that you could make at /etc/fstab - not sure how xpenology manages mounting

Any spcific reason to use Xpenology? - Normal distributions such as openmediavault or even ubuntu as NAS will have far better support (and possibily stability)
Your first problem seems to be an issue with the fstab - On other distributions, it would have been an instant fix that you could make at /etc/fstab - not sure how xpenology manages mounting

Well, we are planning to buy Synology boxes, but no one that we know with Synology has enabled cloud backup. Rather than experience it and find it does not work, I looked into Xpenology to see the speeds and cloud backup feature. Now that it works, we are more amenable to getting the boxes.

Hi guys

I found this thread as i am looking for a NAS myself. QNAP and Synology indian prices are extreme when you compare to US.

Even if you want to DIY. Did any of you found a proper NAS enclosures available in India?

Can anyone recommend a NAS DIY build which would cost approx 20k without disk?

Thanks to this thread, I created a need where there was none
I was perfectly happy with my OMV based build and then I ended up looking at QNAP and Synology - And then I started to want a nicer/better photo management suite / better transcoding support etc
Anyway, so I am trying to pull the plug on either a DS216 or a QNAP TS-251
Both seem to have great reviews and cost almost the same - Anyone used QTS and Synology OSes care to comment?

Well, we are planning to buy Synology boxes, but no one that we know with Synology has enabled cloud backup. Rather than experience it and find it does not work, I looked into Xpenology to see the speeds and cloud backup feature. Now that it works, we are more amenable to getting the boxes.
I can confirm that I've been using Synology cloud seamlessly. Never had any issues with it.

I was perfectly happy with my OMV based build and then I ended up looking at QNAP and Synology - And then I started to want a nicer/better photo management suite / better transcoding support etc
Both seem to have great reviews and cost almost the same - Anyone used QTS and Synology OSes care to comment?
I use the Synology and can't comment on the QNAP but I can surely say that Synology OS works better than QNAP's, purely based on user reviews that I've read. For me the Synology's photo management (and backup solution) is 60% of my need. I'd be ready to put my money on just this feature. All the photos captured on all my mobile devices are backed up, well managed in specific directories, available for my own use (can share too with others) - anywhere. Also the DS Video works pretty good. I can stream wirelessly to my non-smart TV (using chromecast) and to all my mobile devices. This central unit gives me freedom from being dependent on high capacity mobile devices. I can work pretty much with an 8GB device since all my storage is on the NAS. No more memory cards/pen drive/OTGs.

I am also looked for these two but there USA proce vs India proce just kills it for me [emoji17]

For me the Synology's photo management (and backup solution) is 60% of my need.
That for me is the core reason to upgrade from the self built NAS.
The recent GBP drop has surprisingly made the UK price for the QNAP cheaper than the US price
Getting tempted by the QNAP as it has dual GBe + link aggregation and the Braswell processor
The reviews for the QNAP are also pretty good (incl photo mgmt) - Got time till next week to decide post which I will nee to place the order for it it to reach on time for me to pick it up

We bought a 216se for my backup requirements at work. Slow, but OK for my needs.[DOUBLEPOST=1467310859][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can confirm that I've been using Synology cloud seamlessly. Never had any issues with it.

Well, it works, but is daaaaammmmmmnnnnn slow. I wanted something faster :p

Back