Need a brief guide to modding a Samsung Galaxy S2 (running Jellybean 4.1.2 leak)

pbaner

Disciple
Hi TE mates,

I am new to Android and I've recently bought a (used) SGS2 from a member here (Fah33m). It has the Jellybean 4.1.2 Leaked Official firmware installed on it (XXLSJ). I have been browsing the web for methods to mod my phone and have been able to root it (for a start :head2:) using a zip called 'PhilZ-cwm6-XXLSJ-OXX-3.73-signed.zip'. It also installed a touch based bootloader replacing the Samsung default.
Now I need some guidance from you regarding how to install a custom ROM on it so that I can get access to all exciting features of android and make some customizations to reduce battery usage.

Please tell me the sequence in which I should proceed to achieve the above. I have some idea about what exactly the Kernel and ROM are. What I don't know are the types/names of those applicable to SGS2. What are AOKP or AOSP? Which to choose and for what?
I came across various terms like Cyanogen Mod (CM), ClockWorkMod (CWM), Siyah and Dorimanx kernel, etc. but could not find a lucid sequence or guide. All guides on the internet take something or the other for granted.
Which are the ones based on Samsung's Nature UX? (I like Samsung's default UI and bootlogo, but I would like to try out stock Jellybean look also)
Also, the usual RAM usage is more than 600-650MB out of the total 827 even with nothing visible running (I checked running apps). 'Clear Memory' reduces usage only momentarily.

Sorry if I have asked a bit too much here. Even a sequence of links to web pages having these answers will help.

Please note that I'm an experienced PC (and Nokia S60) user and you may reply in whatever way you wish; I have no problems with geek language/stuff. It will also help if you can provide links to pages which have the necessary content I'm seeking.

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed in detail on TE. Admins/Mods: please feel free to move this thread or redirect me appropriately if required.

Hi TE mates,

I am new to Android and I've recently bought a (used) SGS2 from a member here (Fah33m). It has the Jellybean 4.1.2 Leaked Official firmware installed on it (XXLSJ). I have been browsing the web for methods to mod my phone and have been able to root it (for a start :head2:) using a zip called 'PhilZ-cwm6-XXLSJ-OXX-3.73-signed.zip'. It also installed a touch based bootloader replacing the Samsung default.
Now I need some guidance from you regarding how to install a custom ROM on it so that I can get access to all exciting features of android and make some customizations to reduce battery usage.

Please tell me the sequence in which I should proceed to achieve the above. I have some idea about what exactly the Kernel and ROM are. What I don't know are the types/names of those applicable to SGS2. What are AOKP or AOSP? Which to choose and for what?
I came across various terms like Cyanogen Mod (CM), ClockWorkMod (CWM), Siyah and Dorimanx kernel, etc. but could not find a lucid sequence or guide. All guides on the internet take something or the other for granted.
Which are the ones based on Samsung's Nature UX? (I like Samsung's default UI and bootlogo, but I would like to try out stock Jellybean look also)
Also, the usual RAM usage is more than 600-650MB out of the total 827 even with nothing visible running (I checked running apps). 'Clear Memory' reduces usage only momentarily.

Sorry if I have asked a bit too much here. Even a sequence of links to web pages having these answers will help.

Please note that I'm an experienced PC (and Nokia S60) user and you may reply in whatever way you wish; I have no problems with geek language/stuff. It will also help if you can provide links to pages which have the necessary content I'm seeking.

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed in detail on TE. Admins/Mods: please feel free to move this thread or redirect me appropriately if required.

its very easy check out androidadvices.com for guides.. very simple process go into clockword mod, clear cache, dalvik cache, install zip from card point to location and let it to restart and u have a modded phone...i am 4.1.2 JB

Try out the JellyBam ROM .. its the best ROM for the SGS2 presently.

For all your starting queries .. you can find the answers here GalaxyS2Root.com - Your Source for Galaxy S2 root, roms, and more tips! , this site has detailed step-by-step videos for
1. Rooting
2. Modding (Custom ROMs)
3. Tweaking

To break it down ... modding to a custom ROM involves

1. Root your Current Stock Phone ROM. (you've done this already)
2. Backup your Contacts, SMS and Apps (Use Titanium Backup or MyBackup)
3. Install Clockwork Mod (This allows your to flash custom ROMs).
4. Download and copy ROM (.zip file) to your SD Card.
5. Reboot your phone into Clockwork Recovery Mode, You will see the CWM menus instead of Phone booting up(the steps to this vary from phone to phone but its very simple).
6. Go through the Clockwork Recovery Menus and Format your phone, wipe phone cache, Flash new ROM, some more (optional) tidbits.
7. Reboot and Voila .. your new Custom ROM will be pre-rooted and since your already have CWM installed .. so now flashing any other ROM requires only steps 4,5 & 6.

For SGS2 you might need to flash a new kernel. ( I haven't fully checked)

Guys apologise for going OT ...which is the best stable ROM for google Nexus s running jelly bean 4.1.2and where can I find detailed steps to do so.

Cyanogen just released the M1 Monthly stable release for the latest Android 4.2.1 for the Nexus S

Any specific reason you want JB 4.1.2 ?

Check it out at get.cm

Try out the JellyBam ROM .. its the best ROM for the SGS2 presently.

I respectfully disagree. I have flashed around 10-12 different ROMs on my SGS2 and JellyBam is anything but the best. It is nothing but a super bloated version of a bloated base (AOKP) with unnecessary complications in the form of PA and CM cherry picks being merged in it. iGio (the 'creator' of JellyBam) is nothing but a glorified zip archiver who is known to have stolen from talented devs such as Bajee and the PAC team in the past.

The OP would be much better off flashing MCM's CM 10.1 builds with his Siyah v5 vsync modified kernel. They are by far the smoothest custom ROMs that the SGS2 has ever had. JellyBam and others like Resurrection ROM always have some bug or the other, but MCM's CM builds are fairly bug free and are updated on an almost daily basis.

^^ Alright .. I'll admit I have't tried it out myself ..

I suggested JellyBam because it had the features of all popular mods ..

Hi TE mates,

Whatever you do, take backup of your EFS.

Guys, Thanks for your helpful inputs! You're Gr8 :hail:
Now, I'll try out a few ROMs and let u know how it goes ...

A few nagging questions:
1. What are the differences that the kernel creates? The Siyah kernel is required only to make hardware tweaks like OCing, right? (I suppose I cannot do that using the default android kernel)
2. What's the purpose of wiping the android phone cache and when is it needed? Is it required in cases where I want to go back to the default setup from CM10 (for example)?

Don't want to spoil the party,but why don't you just root and uninstall bloat from the stock ROM and enjoy it with a good kernel?
The xda is flooded with SGS2 ROMs and most of them are inferior to stock.

^^ Alright .. I'll admit I have't tried it out myself ..

I suggested JellyBam because it had the features of all popular mods ..

No problems, mate. JellyBam's feature list does seem excitingly great at first glance. :)

Don't want to spoil the party,but why don't you just root and uninstall bloat from the stock ROM and enjoy it with a good kernel?
The xda is flooded with SGS2 ROMs and most of them are inferior to stock.

Agreed, about the fact that the SGS sub forum is full of crap ROMs, but if you know where to look you'll find some really good custom ROMs like MCM's 10.1 builds, bajee's Rootbox, Paranoid Android and the Chameleon ROM. Every other ROM is a zipjob by mostly talentless hacks. Also, MCM's CM10.1 blows away every stock Samsung ROM (including the official 4.1.2) in terms of performance, stability and battery life.

Apologize me for OT but i need some info.
Can anyone tell me the latest stable CM available for Motorola Bravo MB520?

Thanks in advance,
MOJO

To all those flashing custom roms, i would suggest that you clear battery stats just before flashing so that there is no problems in battery calibration after flashing.

^ It's a futile exercise. Read this. Dianne is one of the top developers working at Google. Her word counts a lot more than that of most XDA 'developers'. I haven't deleted battery stats since November 2011 on any of my devices and have never faced battery calibration issues. This is simply because battery cannot be calibrated using software hacks on an Android device.

i installed jelly bean 4.1.2 stock rom on samsung s2 i9100g via odin..everything running fine, except for one message "vodafone missing file :01FF" any idea what it means, this message pops up whenever i restart the phone. though internet and calls all working fine. i have already flashed the phone two-three times after factory reset each time.

I have not rooted the phone but thinking of..what are the best custom rom 4.2.2 which are stable and do not tax battery life...

First, backup all your apps using Titanium backup, sync your contacts with your google account, backup your sms using an app from the market.
Get EFS backup from market and backup your EFS, you can do this in recovery also since you're running philz kernel. It'll be in philz options -> backup efs, or then in backup and restore.
Then, download a ROM and Kernel of your choice from the xda forums.
I'm personally using this: ROM - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847600 and Kernel - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2140192
I prefer this ROM because it has AOSP systemUI and samsung functionality(TV out and all working). wifi direct has some issue but thats all. And the kernel is a no hastle light weight fast and battery efficient kernel which requires no further tuning from us.
Now, reboot into recovery mode, make a nandroid backup.
Then wipe data/factory reset phone.
Go into mounts and storage->format /system and format /preload. or since you're running philz kernel go to philz options and select wipe to install a new rom. It'll do all this automatically.
Now, install from sdcard-> select the rom and install it.
wipe cache, then advanced-> wipe dalvik cache and then reboot.
After first boot, reboot into recovery again, install from sdcard -> select the kernel and install. Then reboot.
If anything goes wrong, restore the nandroid backup from recovery.
Also, now you restore your apps and messages etc from titanium and the sms backup/restore app.
Happy flashing. :)

Back