Budget 90k+ Need a build for heavy multitasking that can drive up to four 4k monitors for work only

Santa Maria!

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • Flexible. 1.5L+ without monitors. Of course I want to avoid unnecessary spending, but I see this as an investment in my work and hope it will last many years.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • I have nothing :(
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Need all components except monitors.
    • Can suggest keyboard/mouse that's good for long hours of coding, but planning to do separate research on this.
    • Need guidance on appropriate UPS.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • I'll start with 2 4k monitors - planning 2 x BenQ PD3200U. Then add one more. And _maybe_ one more after that.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online. I'm stuck in a non-metro city right now.
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes, will consider.
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Web and systems programming, a touch of mobile programming in emulator
    • Will be running Manjaro Linux
    • zoom/google-meet video calls, screen sharing
    • Should be able to drive 4 4k monitors to satisfy my workflow requirements. I intend to start with 3 monitors - two 4k and one undecided. But maximal case will be 4 4k.
    • Many workspaces will be open, with editor instances, which spawn code-analysis/linter/helper servers in background, which can do their analysis on large codebases
    • Browser with many tabs - devtools open on multiple tabs
    • Run many app servers, containers, builds etc during development.
    • Test and run DB queries on largish datasets - tens of gigs
    • Terminals galore
    • Won't be gaming on this
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nope
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - None
    2. Desktop - 3840x2160 * 4
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux - Manjaro

Threadripper with nvidia video cards.
nvidia would help with machine learning as well as multi monitor.
you may check which app more optimised for gpu processing

Would I really need a threadripper? :oops:
I'm also not running any ML stuff. To clarify the querying thing - it's just querying over relational DBs, and maybe some search indexes - ES/solr.

ryzen 9 3900x 45k
asrock x570 steel legend 25k
3600mhz ram 2*16gb 20k
corsair rm 850x/1000x psu 9k
500gb nvme 7k
2070 super 45k
thermaltake level 20 cabinet 6.5k
maybe add 2* 2tb or 4tb hard drive later

Thanks for the suggestion. This was helpful.

Someone else suggested 5700 XT for the GPU. How do the two options compare for my usage?

Also, does 3200mhz vs 3600mhz RAM make any difference for my use? (Read about it - no practical difference)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. This was helpful.

Someone else suggested 5700 XT for the GPU. How do the two options compare for my usage?

Also, does 3200mhz vs 3600mhz RAM make any difference for my use? (Read about it - no practical difference)
yeah your right 3600MHz won't make any practical difference until and unless you get one's with tighter timings

ryzen 9 3900x 45k
asrock x570 steel legend 25k
3600mhz ram 2*16gb 20k
corsair rm 850x/1000x psu 9k
500gb nvme 7k
2070 super 45k
thermaltake level 20 cabinet 6.5k
maybe add 2* 2tb or 4tb hard drive later

1. What would be a good UPS for this build + 1 or 2 monitors. (Assuming additional monitors don't need to be connected to UPS).
2. The x570 steel legend at this price is the non-wifi one, it seems? Are there alternate x570s that are recommended? I see possibilities in the 'Asrock Taichi' variant and the 'MSI unify'/'MSI tomahawk' variants, but they seem more expensive? Trying to make sense of the infinite x570 variants. B550 variants are also an option it seems?

Information overload :disrelieved:

1. What would be a good UPS for this build + 1 or 2 monitors. (Assuming additional monitors don't need to be connected to UPS).
2. The x570 steel legend at this price is the non-wifi one, it seems? Are there alternate x570s that are recommended? I see possibilities in the 'Asrock Taichi' variant and the 'MSI unify'/'MSI tomahawk' variants, but they seem more expensive? Trying to make sense of the infinite x570 variants. B550 variants are also an option it seems?

Information overload :disrelieved:
you can look for APC smart 1000v UPS

A bit expensive that the usual RX 5700 Xts, but this one can drive upto 6 monitors and 4 of them on Display Port 1.4

Thanks. I actually did settle on a 5700XT in the end. Just looking for decent options locally. Shortlisted Gigabyte, MSI Mech OC, PowerColor Red Devil and Sapphire Pulse - getting quotes for these. The one you listed is only on Newegg, right? That would involve chunky customs?

CPU :- Ryzen 5 3600 @ 16k ----- UPGRADE TO 4th gen ryzen when it is available.
It will also help you determine how much computation power you actually need.If you feel your system sluggish, you can go for ryzen 9 4th gen or even higher (like a threadripper).
If your system feels snappy under load, you can get a ryzen 5 or 7 4th gen or stick with r5 3600. Perform a load test of all the applications etc that you will be running to give you a baseline.

CPU Cooler:- NZXT KRAKEN X63 280MM / corsair 115i 280mm @ 11-14k

Motherboard :- Asus Tuf x570 -Plus @ 17.5k
or ASROCK X570 STEEL LEGEND @ 20.3k

RAM:- 2x16GB 3200 Mhz corsair vengence LPx @ 7.5k x 2

GPU:- nvidia RTX2070S with 4 outputs.Also , 4x 4K is TOO MUCH SCREEN that too 32 inch each is TOO TOO much.
My advice:- go for a 2x 4k @ 27 inch. or 3x 4k @ 24 inch.

PSU :- CX750M @ 8.5k

SSD:- 1x 1TB M.2 nvme samsung 970 evo plus @15.6k
SSD:- 1x 1TB SATA crucial MX500 @ 9.5k
HDD:- 4TB @ 8k (DEPENDING UPON YOUR NEED)

Cabinet:-COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX TD500 MESH MID-TOWER @ 7.8K
Post automatically merged:

For UPS, go for APC BR1000G @ 8-9k add a battery pack for longer backup.(expandable) --- only drawback i NOISE.FAN IS QUITE LOUD.
or APC BR 1500G @ 15-18k . also expandable via battery pack.

or get 2 x APC Back-UPS BX1100C-IN @ 6k each. one for CPU and one for monitors,modem,printer, etc things.

Last edited:
CPU :- Ryzen 5 3600 @ 16k ----- UPGRADE TO 4th gen ryzen when it is available.
It will also help you determine how much computation power you actually need.If you feel your system sluggish, you can go for ryzen 9 4th gen or even higher (like a threadripper).
If your system feels snappy under load, you can get a ryzen 5 or 7 4th gen or stick with r5 3600. Perform a load test of all the applications etc that you will be running to give you a baseline.

Thanks! Appreciate the insights.

That's a good line of thought. I had basically settled on a 3900X and then forget about it for 5 years (which I think is still kinda okay), but I'll think about your suggestion.

Motherboard :- Asus Tuf x570 -Plus @ 17.5k
or ASROCK X570 STEEL LEGEND @ 20.3k

The steel legend is without wifi right, at that price? Gonna check out the Asus Tuf. I was considering a MSI x570 tomahawk wifi.

GPU:- nvidia RTX2070S with 4 outputs.Also , 4x 4K is TOO MUCH SCREEN that too 32 inch each is TOO TOO much.
My advice:- go for a 2x 4k @ 27 inch. or 3x 4k @ 24 inch.

Yeah, the 4x 4k is the max case. I'm starting with 2 screens right now. I know for certain I'm going to eventually have 2 stacked and one on the side in portrait. Still deciding on models & dimensions - I realize 32" will stack pretty tall - gonna test with viewing distances. Will also consider 2 stacked WQHD ie. 4k x 1440 - to see if it helps with vertical height. I'll try various things, but I absolutely need 3 vertically split windows per screen at or near 4k pixel-width.
For the side, I'm considering 2k, but will see if 4k feasible after borrowing someone's monitor to try things out. And later again, doing a trial to see if a 4th portrait on the other side - though this one seems less likely.

I'm considering a 5700 XT since it seems to be cheaper than a 2070 Super with enough capabilities for me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PSU :- CX750M @ 8.5k

This one should be okay? The other guy here, and someone else elsewhere suggested 850W at least (but didn't specify much reason).

SSD:- 1x 1TB M.2 nvme samsung 970 evo plus @15.6k

This is the one I'm considering. Can you tell me where you found it with that price?

For UPS, go for APC BR1000G @ 8-9k add a battery pack for longer backup.(expandable) --- only drawback i NOISE.FAN IS QUITE LOUD.
or APC BR 1500G @ 15-18k . also expandable via battery pack.

or get 2 x APC Back-UPS BX1100C-IN @ 6k each. one for CPU and one for monitors,modem,printer, etc things.

Thanks. I was wondering about this. Was planning to only connect rig + 1 monitor + router to UPS (leaving one spot for printer later. and maybe even router connection not important). Other monitors direct connections. Wondering if this would be enough for a 1KVA to handle for like 10-20 mins or so, since that APC 1500G is pretty expensive.

This one should be okay? The other guy here, and someone else elsewhere suggested 850W at least (but didn't specify much reason).
you can go with rm750x as the cx has a lower 80+ certification so recommended something with higher efficiency and taking an 850w is pretty common no overkill these days seeing the pc hardwares

Thanks. I actually did settle on a 5700XT in the end. Just looking for decent options locally. Shortlisted Gigabyte, MSI Mech OC, PowerColor Red Devil and Sapphire Pulse - getting quotes for these. The one you listed is only on Newegg, right? That would involve chunky customs?
Yup. At the end of checkouts page, it shows the total estimated amount of Rs. 53,599.

Thanks! Appreciate the insights.

That's a good line of thought. I had basically settled on a 3900X and then forget about it for 5 years (which I think is still kinda okay), but I'll think about your suggestion.
Ryzen 4th zen is around the corner.cost of 3900x will drop to under 35k.
AMD after launching new products reduces the price of previous gen

This is the one I'm considering. Can you tell me where you found it with that price?
few days back i saw one at onlyssd.com.
also on amazon it was available for 16.6k after 10% discount.
Wait for few days,amazon prime day is coming.you will get it cheap.

Processors and GPUs are getting efficient every day.
750 W is sufficient for 2070S + 3900x+ all other peripherals.

Reason:- FULL LOAD 3900x + 2080Ti consumes around 400W. with all other SSDs(10W each) and HDDs(15W each) ad CPU cooler(25W)
You will have line 200W headroom. So i dont see the point in getting over 750W unless you are going to use another GPU.

'm considering a 5700 XT since it seems to be cheaper than a 2070 Super with enough capabilities for me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At 4K , nvidia 2070 Super is better than 5700XT AS FAR AS I KNOW.
I will advise to go with nvidia.That is my opinion.

Thanks. I was wondering about this. Was planning to only connect rig + 1 monitor + router to UPS (leaving one spot for printer later. and maybe even router connection not important). Other monitors direct connections. Wondering if this would be enough for a 1KVA to handle for like 10-20 mins or so, since that APC 1500G is pretty expensive.

BR1000G @ 8-9k (MAKES LOUD FAN NOISE.BUT IS A GREAT UPS.)(i am using it for past 5 years)(on 2700x(draws more power than 3900x) + RTX2060)
or BX1100C-IN @ 6k
Are sufficient for a system with upto 600W power draw.
But at full load , you will only 5-10 min backup.
at 50% load i.e 300W you will get like 15-20 min backup.
at 25% load i.e (150W ):- you will get like 25min-30 min backup.

So, point being what kind of workload are you running when your power cuts and for how long you need to shut down or you cannot shutdown as you are in middle of something.
ALSO , ALWAYS KEEP ALL YOUR COMPUTER PERIPHERALS BEHIND A UPS OR A SURGE PROTECTOR.

then forget about it for 5 years (which I think is still kinda okay), but I'll think about your suggestion.
My suggestions and thought:- As tech is changing so fast, 5 years is a along time.Also AM4 is at its end of life.
So, next year AMD will come up with new socket and your platform will have no upgrade path and holding it for too long ,you will loose resale value.
So keep your next upgrade under 3 years while all your components are under warranty.If you have decided to go with 3900x, wait for AMD 4th gen launch and buy i cheaper.

Last edited:
Ryzen 4th zen is around the corner.cost of 3900x will drop to under 35k.
AMD after launching new products reduces the price of previous gen

I knowwww :( I'm a bit torn. I do really need to get something now for some critical work.

Wait for few days,amazon prime day is coming.you will get it cheap.

Whoa! I didn't realize. Damn, I should hold off a week or so then... sigh. I was gonna order the monitors first now, but now have to wonder.

BR1000G @ 8-9k (MAKES LOUD FAN NOISE.BUT IS A GREAT UPS.)(i am using it for past 5 years)(on 2700x(draws more power than 3900x) + RTX2060)
or BX1100C-IN @ 6k
Are sufficient for a system with upto 600W power draw.
But at full load , you will only 5-10 min backup.
at 50% load i.e 300W you will get like 15-20 min backup.
at 25% load i.e (150W ):- you will get like 25min-30 min backup.

So, point being what kind of workload are you running when your power cuts and for how long you need to shut down or you cannot shutdown as you are in middle of something.
ALSO , ALWAYS KEEP ALL YOUR COMPUTER PERIPHERALS BEHIND A UPS OR A SURGE PROTECTOR.

Thanks for this info. I think most of the time, I should be fine to shutdown immediately. For meetings, I can switchover to laptop. I think I'll go for the BR1000G.

My suggestions and thought:- As tech is changing so fast, 5 years is a along time.Also AM4 is at its end of life.
So, next year AMD will come up with new socket and your platform will have no upgrade path and holding it for too long ,you will loose resale value.
So keep your next upgrade under 3 years while all your components are under warranty.If you have decided to go with 3900x, wait for AMD 4th gen launch and buy i cheaper.

Noted. Work stuff is forcing my hand a bit, but I'll think about the other option of getting a cheaper alt temporarily.

Re: Prime Day - I found this rumor that it may be postponed this year: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/prime-day-2020-what-we-know/

Kinda makes sense - if it were to happen around the 15th, it should've been announced by now :(

Last edited:
Just interested to know on your choice of the BenQ PD3200U. This seems to be a monitor for use cases where color quality is important, e.g. digital art, videos etc. I'm sure that you have done research and selected the BENQ. But, I'm not sure if there is any benefit for programming which is your primary focus for the new rig. Sure, the syntax highlighting and fonts in terminals might pop a little more, but is it worth the almost 25-30k premium over say an LG 32UD59 or Samsung LU32J590UQW, both 4k 32 inch monitors.

Back