Video Need a HUGE Plasma TV: 1080P + 50+ Inches

Hi everyone. I am sure you'll must be tired of my 'wants' threads by the day, but I am doing up a new house and I wish to buy a Plasma TV. Why a Plasma TV, let's not get into that debate, LOL, but that's my primary requirement.

I need:

1. 1920 * 1080 Pixels

2. 50 plus inches

3. Panasonic/Samsung/LG/Maybe something else

4. Price Range: Less than a LAC.

5. Finesse to play a FULL HD file with ease. I mean, no hiccups/artefacts etc.

6. DEEP black levels needed (I am buying a god damn plasma so they better be good!)

7. Atleast 3 HDMI ports.

8. I would love a warranty, but if I can get something from abroad for super cheap (via KMD) then nothing like it.

NOW, don't start yelling at me saying it's not possible to get a full HD 50 + inch television for less than a LAC.

I have actually been mailing KMD and getting SUB ONE LAC rupees quotes from him regularly for upto 54 inch televisions from USA websites (NOT OPEN BOX/NOT REFURB, I am talking BRAND NEW SEALED EXAMPLES.)

BUT I am so confused by the bevy of brands present and the jargon out there, that I am not yet able to make a choice.

The Panasonic G20 is already out in the rest of the world. It might land up in India shortly. Hold on to your purchases for a while. This is supposedly the 13th gen panel from Panasonic and one of the better buys compared to the rest of the PDP lineup.

I have the Panasonic 50 inch plasma, 50PY850. Its an absolutely brilliant tv!! Check with the panasonic stores which is the latest model available.

Well the panasonic 2010 V series should hit the streets around a month or so.
Even though they will loose their blacks after some time,it will still be better or match other plasma in that price range.
The ones from Samsung and LG will have IR,with the samsung being better.

But you are upgrading from a 07 matte screen lcd ,there is a night and day difference in black levels,significantly in motion & viewing angle.
The lcd from samsung/sony can match and surpass most plasmas out there except perhaps the 2010 V series plasma,but not sure about the panasonic blacks after a few hundred hrs of use.
No plasma out there can match the lcd in brightness ,all the plasma including the very best still reflect quite a lot more and gets washed out if their is some ambient lighting in front of tv or the sides of viewer.
Their brightness further drops due to ABL.

so choose wisely.

Both the V and G are suffering from floating blacks isnt it? Also there isnt any timeframe on a new Firmware to fix this flaw in their algorithm. So i would hold off that purchase for a while.
Samsung c series 50 plasma do suffer from major IR too, so i guess thats out too. Also dsnt samsung suffer from some buzzing sound issue.
From what i have read this is not a year for plasmas as of now.
(P.S. - I have no intention of starting a Plasma Vs LCD debate )

Just curious, but frank, why a plasma from an LCD now? You have a PS3 as well!

I'd say spend that 1lac on a good LED TV such as the Sony's EX600/700 or the Samsung 7 series.

I have seen impressive panasonic plasma 50 inches costing 60k just recently. it was legal warranty model not a gray market product.

net said:
I have seen impressive panasonic plasma 50 inches costing 60k just recently. it was legal warranty model not a gray market product.

could you please tell us which store and what model?

Backlit LED's are just normal LCD's with LED backlighting

From wiki :

LED-backlit LCD TVs differ from conventional CCFL-backlit LCD TVs in the following:

* They can produce an image with greater dynamic contrast compared with CCFL-backlit LCD TVs

* With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim. Current models on the market can be less than one inch thick.

* They can offer a wider color gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.

* Lesser environmental pollution on disposal

* Higher cost due to current market product placement

* Generally have a lower power consumption in the realm of 20-30%

I am not sure there are any LED TV's available in India . An LED TV should have a panel of LED's , like the outdoor display ones.

More Info :

http://ezinearticles.com/?LED-TV---Dont-Be-Fooled,-Understand-the-Technology-First&id=2614235

I dont know what Linuxtechie meant by a True LED but yes at the moment backlit and edgelit are the only ones available . OLED displays would be closest to a true LED but those are terrible expensive .

true that. I just wanted to know what he meant by a True LED TV.
The samsung ones arnt backlit LEDs(6 and 7 series) or are they? I just know about the sony Z series that are trully backlit

apextwin146 said:
The samsung ones arnt backlit LEDs(6 and 7 series) or are they? I just know about the sony Z series that are trully backlit

Samsung ones are edge-lit IINM. Sony has their new lineup EX600 and EX700 which are LED backlit. :)

linuxtechie said:
Dont waste the money on Plasma as told to you. Go for LED TV, not a backlit one, but a true LED TV.

+LT

LED backlit LCD TVs are the only ones available in the market. the "true LED TV" that you're talking about is called an OLED (organic LED) TV and the largest available right now is 10 inches, made by Sony. And it costs 1 lakh rupees ;)

At 50"+ only EX700 (or NX800 which isnt launched in india)is available. This model has 100Mhz of MOtionFlo where as the Z Series has 200Mhz.Price Diff as per the site 10K. Though i am assuming as per RakRules thread you can get it for a lot cheaper than EX700 in grey.

Back