Need a PMP under 12k.Help in selecting.!

Poisonblack

Disciple
Hi there.!
I just managed to lose my Motorola ZN5 while riding a bike.Now decided to go in a el cheapo phone [as I keep losing it so often] and a nice PMP to complement it.The phone, I have already selected.Need some expert help in selecting the PMP now.

My current choices are:
>iPod Touch 8GB
>Cowon S9
>Your suggestions.! ;)

I am pining mainly for the iPod Touch but keep hearing noises about it being inferior in terms of SQ to audiophile-grade Cowon S9 [which is why I am considering the Cowon in the first place].How true/false are these noises.?
Also, is the 8GB Touch currently available in the market a generation older than 16/32 GB ones.?

just go and get ipod touch. though S9 has better quality, ipod touch 3G's audio quality is really good. It's flat and neutral. On the other hand, it's a complete package. audio, video, games, internet etc.

if you can increase your budget to 15k-15.5k, you can order ipod touch 3G 32Gb on ebay.

@^^

I second that.

Yes the 8GB iPod touch is just rebranded 2nd generation device. If you want true 3G performanc then go for either 32GB or 64GB device. It really is complete package.

^^Totally
Cowon is good at format support/updates and screen but it lacks wi-fi and app store.

Go for ipod touch as others are suggesting as IT IS indeed a complete package!:hap2:

You will get many applications and moreover it has Wi-fi with a nice browser:)

Or you could wait for the Dell Streak. The 5" capacitive screen android running snapdragon powered MID/phone. That one will surely give any PMP a run for it's money.

@Rock Fella that's a nice suggestion.Fuze is any day better than the cowon( its a delicate and breaks in less than a year) .I pod ( nothing great about sound quality).

Get a Fuze 8GB for 5.8K from ebay and get a 8GB microSD card.If u have ever heard to a clip+.The fuze sound quality is even better than the clip+.I personally prefer the clip+ or fuze over the D2.

Fuze even better than Clip+? I thought the sound quality is the same in both. Cowon breaks in one year? :eek:

Metalspree said:
@Rock Fella that's a nice suggestion.Fuze is any day better than the cowon( its a delicate and breaks in less than a year) .I pod ( nothing great about sound quality).

Get a Fuze 8GB for 5.8K from ebay and get a 8GB microSD card.If u have ever heard to a clip+.The fuze sound quality is even better than the clip+.I personally prefer the clip+ or fuze over the D2.

Fuze is slightly better than the clip+ not much of a difference.The clip+ being a tiny player is able to drive my RE 1 where as the D2+ cannot.

The reason i said D2+ breaks off in a year is that mine died ( as a matter of fact i accidentally killed it) few friends of mine had issues with the volume and lock keys.The player is damn delicate compared to other players in that price range.

If the OP is going to use a normal earphones then Cowon will do (either a d2+ or a S9).

PS: I am comparing all players at flat EQ .I hate using EQ's

OT:Rockfella I am waiting for your reply for that PM i sent u :)

Ive read the same , Fuze and Clip+ having exact same chip and same sound quality but when I got my Fuze ,I noticed it definitely didn't sound same.There is a very very small difference in sound which everyone might not even notice. The Clip+ sounds slightly dull compared to Fuze maybe be cause Fuze isn't as neutral as Clip.

Which sounds better, is subjective. Both are awesome .

I will be doing a complete side by side comparison soon ;).

Clip+ is more VFM but for a long term investment as a complete PMP ,I would prefer the Fuze. I couldn't stand the 6-7 hrs battery life on Clip+ when used with a microSD card. The Fuze is giving me ~20hrs.

Here comes the input of our reviewer :p.I would say go for Fuze with a 8GB card you will not repent .D2+ battery life also depreciates over a period of time( I never got the so called 52 hours even at standard conditions) .

I am not against D2+ but its just that mine is not working as it used to earlier

^ My suggestions are only based on pure audio quality performance. If it's not the most important factor for the buyer , the iTouch 3G is a very good all rounder. Games, apps,wi-fi,video, music etc.This has been discussed in detail in another thread but to sum it up,its audio quality thought not the best is lot better than most PMPs .So it's not that iPods sound bad , infact the new Touch seems to have really good SQ.With a line-out signal coupled with a good amp it get's in the audiophile territory and Ive seen lots of head-fi'ers using it as well .;)

All I want to say it don't underestimate the Itouch .First decide your needs and priorities and then making the choice would be simple :D.

Since none of the other players in the price range appeal to me, I went ahead and purchased the Touch today.! :hap2:
Currently syncing my music and photos to the touch using iTunes, as I couldn't figure out a way to do it by simple drag-n-drop using Windows Explorer.
Is there a way to create an account in iTunes without providing credit card details.? I won't be purchasing anything from it anytime soon.
Will wait 2-3 days to explore the device before jailbreaking it.In the meantime, any word of advice/caution regarding jailbreaking is most welcome.!

When you are creating a new itunes app store account, you can select.option "no credit card". this way you can use free apps.

For jail break, If ur touch runs get 3.1.3, u can't jailbreak.for earlier version, blackrain is the best.

desiibond said:
For jail break, If ur touch runs get 3.1.3, u can't jailbreak.for earlier version, blackrain is the best.

Correction, for all the latest firmwares on all devices, there exists Spirit which is an untethered jailbreak. And it is superb!

Hi, i too got new ipod touch . its firmware is 3.1.3. Is there any way to create itunes account without credit card so to use free applications that are available.

Second, how to use drag n drop while transferring videos n music to ipod touch?

techpal said:
Hi, i too got new ipod touch . its firmware is 3.1.3. Is there any way to create itunes account without credit card so to use free applications that are available.
Second, how to use drag n drop while transferring videos n music to ipod touch?

1) yes. you can. Create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card

2) no. you can't. instead, you can drag and drop music to ipod touch section in itunes.

phoenix844884 said:
Correction, for all the latest firmwares on all devices, there exists Spirit which is an untethered jailbreak. And it is superb!

thanks da for the update. I just JBed using SPirit.

Thnx a lot. But I m not able to drag n drop in iTunes.I have another question. Is it safe to jailbreak without bricking my iPod touch.Can you plz guide how to do since I m new to it.

Back